Howa bolt sleeve issue

Wanted to pass along something you Howa shooters should probably keep an eye on -

At the range yesterday I settled in for a 200 yard zero check on my Howa Alpine 7mm-08 and when the trigger broke, nothing happened. At first I thought I might have forgotten to put a primer in a case. After waiting a few seconds in case of a hang-fire, I pulled the shell and could see a tiny mark where the firing pin struck. Repeated the process one more time, then I pulled the bolt and realized the firing pin was short-striking. Then I looked at the bolt sleeve and realized there was a small gap between the bolt and the bolt sleeve that I had never noticed before.

So I remove the firing pin assembly and this is what I found. Looks like the tab that is inserted into the bolt has worn down from use, and shaved enough material off to allow the sleeve to migrate back so that the firing pin won't reach the primer. I guess the metal they use for the sleeve isn't hard enough?IMG_3783.JPGIMG_3784.JPGIMG_3785.JPG

I am checking with LSI for a replacement sleeve. Found one on FeeBay last night for $10 shipped, but it was black and not gray cerakote, but it will do until I can get the correct replacement part.

Just thought I'd pass this along to my fellow Howa shooters. I love my Howa rifles and this is literally the first issue I've ever seen with any of them, and I've owned 4 now.

Good luck and stay safe!

Tmac

WKR
Not good. I’d interested to hear what LSI/Howa have to say. A bad batch of metal, design flaw, or ? I have two, .223 and 6.5 Grendel, may have to check them, but neither has been shot a bunch yet.

• Banned
OP
Newtosavage
Got in touch with the service person for LSI and they can replace the sleeve for $40. That's cerakoted gray too. I thought that was a bit steep, considering I just bought a blued one on FeeBay for $10 shipped, but what I really want to know is what caused the wear to begin with. Makes me think there is a rough spot inside my bolt now.