How would you skin the cat (elk)?

Laramie

WKR
I wasn't suggesting scraps. On an elk the rib meat and flank is a sizable amount of meat (in addition to the neck and brisket) and I prefer to take that meat. The flank is 1/2"-1" thick and is just a slab of lean meat on an elk, not scraps by my definition. On deer and smaller its usually thin and not too worth while.

Yeah liking the tarp idea more as well.
I can honestly say I haven't taken the flank in the past. I sure don't remember there being much there and I have been shooting elk since the late 80s. However, I'm genuinely interested and curious if I have been missing something. You have any pictures of this piece after being removed?

OP
pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I can honestly say I haven't taken the flank in the past. I sure don't remember there being much there and I have been shooting elk since the late 80s. However, I'm genuinely interested and curious if I have been missing something. You have any pictures of this piece after being removed?
No but maybe I can in a couple weeks. ;) I'll keep that in mind if the opportunity presents. The flank on cattle is worth pursuing and elk are 1/3 the size and start having some reasonable meat there.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I think you're projecting. Analyzing how to tackle a task doesn't translate to too much.

Do you think having 3 pronghorn on the ground solo is too much? I don't (circumstances depending obviously) I've done it because the animals presented the opportunity and I knew I could break them all apart and pack them out in a reasonable timeframe for the conditions. In that case I opted to completed break one down. The second one I took off the quarters hide on and removed the rest of the meat from that carcass. Then broke the 3rd one down completely. Then returned and skinned out the quarters of the second one.

But I could see tackling it differently too, I could have taken the quarters off hide on and deboned the remainder before moving on for all 3 and then circled around to skin all the quarters. More than one way to skin the "cat" as they say hence the topic. I have no intention of trying to deal with 2 elk in 90F blazing sun on a steep slope with swarms of bees (add any other undesirable descriptor that suits your fancy ;) ), I'm not looking to be irresponsible and the situational circumstances matter. Its not a black and white thing of whether two elk are too many, hell in some cases one elk is one too many if the circumstances are wrong. I am aware.

Sounds like you’re all over the place. I’m sure you’ll figure something out. Good luck.

Jethro

WKR
If I was hunting with my daughter and she killed an elk, then I would not shoot until hers was in bags or coolers. We would break hers down together and share the moment.

If I killed an elk and then she had an opportunity, I would tell her to take it. Then we would have 2 down. In that case I'd start on first killed or one more laying in the Sun. Get it taken care of then move to the 2nd one.