How would you kill this tricky bull.

Mule

FNG
I wanted to ask the knowledgable elk killers your thoughts on something: we found one bull--never saw him, but we're very close to him on four occasions on the fringe of his bedroom morning and evening. He would bugle a little it four or so times as he was entering/exiting. I don't believe he had cows-as I'm sure I'd have heard them. That timber was nasty thick and just couldn't find him as he was walking (tiptoeing really) in/out. I never called to him, because was afraid of blowing out the only animal it seemed on that mountain!We walked a fair amount of two drain ages, to include avalanche chutes and alpine fingers strips of forest in between the chutes and found nothing but old sign. Figured I would eventually get a scope on him if I kept adjusting my hideout if I kept the wind in my face. Tons of old sign all over his bedding area, but all most very dry--weeks old or older. Just never panned out, plus it was really warm- high 60's everyday, no precip.

I guess now in hind sight, I wish I'd let out a cow call now to peek his interest and draw him out, but eh...don't know. How would you have handled that situation as he was sneaking in/out of that tight cover? Just curious.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
How would you have handled that situation as he was sneaking in/out of that tight cover? Just curious.

What's around the tight cover that he's sneaking in and out from? Are you bow hunting? Any signs of water anywhere inside that tight cover or somewhere around the fringes? A possible wallow? What's the approximate size of the tight cover that he's in? What dates were you hunting?

OP
Mule

Mule

FNG
There's a ridge that separates thick dark timber with crisis crossing blowdowns on one side and thickish brushy timber with more open spots on the other. There's a wallow with old sign around it on the blow down side but a bit higher up than where he was traveling at that time--this is during Co 1st rifle season (rifle hunting). On one evening hunt he was in the blowdown timber side. On the rest of the hunts, he entered and brushy side in the mornings, and left the same in the evenings. There was also a small pond at a bench at the base of the blowdown side, but like the wallow, there wasn't strong evidence of it being used. Tracks were old, scat was dry, not what I would have expected. In fact I was surprised he was more often on the brushy side. Mostly tried hunting the high ground from the ridge peeking down through the "holes", but the last day went down in the brushy side in his bedding area and tried to catch him coming in one morn. When he quit bugling, I lost him as I couldn't track his position. Very challenging!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
For a rifle hunt, I'd position myself in a place where I could see most of the fringes and sit and glass until I could see him. Then shoot him.