How to Handle Once in a Lifetime/Premium Tag?

BuckSmasher

Lil-Rokslider
What is the right way to handle a tag that takes 10+ years to draw?

One tag filled this year and a week before my next hunt and I am pondering next year already.

I am coming up on 15+ bonus/preference points for either mule deer or elk or both in 4 states. I have had 3 really good 'limited entry' hunts and one really, really terrible one that took 14 points to draw and honestly is not as good as a general hunt I could have had from my house.

The SPECIFIC question is I am wanting to burn 15 CO mule deer points. I don't want a terrible hunt, I live a long way from CO, to make matters worse very picky when it comes to buck quality because when it comes to eating I just prefer elk. How do you vet a unit? All the webs said my special draw unit last year was gonna be awesome it wasn't.

Things I am considering
- Hunting the unit for cow elk/bull elk if general unit and taking notice of the mulies I see and habitat etc.
- Just going on a 'dry run' hunt with maybe a small game or coyote tag just to keep me interested.
- Committing based on what the webs and hunting ranking sites say and risking another disaster like last year.

TLDR: I had a very bad LE tag experience last year. I have had 3 really good ones on units I had never hunted before. Before I blow 15 points again want to be more sure that it is a good hunt/experience. How do you recommend I do that?

go_deep

WKR
Take a week and go scout a couple of them during the season the year before you apply. You'll figure out where all the hunters are, maybe run into a few people that killed something and see what the unit has to offer along with doing some glassing yourself. Could easily cover 2-3 units for a few days each if there within 300-400 miles of each other

I wouldn’t burn those points next year. Colorado is going back to the “old” season structure for the next 5 year period. For the current and last 4 seasons the age class has suffered due to late season dates.

Personally I’d wait for a couple years of the new season structure and hope things get back to usual in colorado before considering burning points.

That’s a lot of points. Go with your #1 and #2 ideas. Get out there and scout and see if it’s right.

Then keep an eye on how the winter impacts the herd.

And don’t short change your time when you do pull the tag. Get out there days early and plan to stay a few days past so you aren’t rushed.

Even scout in August, weeks before the hunt, if they don’t migrate in/out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B

BuckSmasher

Lil-Rokslider
Take a week and go scout a couple of them during the season the year before you apply. You'll figure out where all the hunters are, maybe run into a few people that killed something and see what the unit has to offer along with doing some glassing yourself. Could easily cover 2-3 units for a few days each if there within 300-400 miles of each other
Planning on what that would look like. I wouldn't want to drive that far not go into good backcountry I don't think, that will eat up more time than just cruising the roads. Might just pick my top two.
I wouldn’t burn those points next year. Colorado is going back to the “old” season structure for the next 5 year period. For the current and last 4 seasons the age class has suffered due to late season dates.

Personally I’d wait for a couple years of the new season structure and hope things get back to usual in colorado before considering burning points.
I heard/read something about this. Is there a summary article of the changes?
That’s a lot of points. Go with your #1 and #2 ideas. Get out there and scout and see if it’s right.

Then keep an eye on how the winter impacts the herd.

And don’t short change your time when you do pull the tag. Get out there days early and plan to stay a few days past so you aren’t rushed.

Even scout in August, weeks before the hunt, if they don’t migrate in/out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It is a lot of points. Almost feel 'cheated' from the experience last year. Its a big portion of my life, I am 41 been applying since my mid 20's. Life has change A LOT in the past 16 years.

I agree with others who have advised scouting. Do it during season if it's after October 1, go in early August for an early hunt.
My strategy is not to apply with intent to draw unless I have experience previously to determine what the hunt will be like. Prior to that I'm just collecting points. Generally that scouting is 3+ years ahead of actually drawing.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Ucsdryder

WKR
I’ve always thought if you were going to burn that many points a scouting trip the year before, between seasons would be a great plan.

In roughly the same boat or at least will be there soon. I have been enjoying my kids hunts right now but when it’s time to get serious I think I might take a year off hunting and just plan a two week trip and scout the areas and species I plan to hunt the next few years. I don’t mind a great scouting trip and doing it during the season will give you are real chance to know the units. Yes taking a year off might suck but the information you can get would be well worth it if we are talking 15-20 years of points

NRA4LIFE

WKR
In WA here, an OIL will get drawn by maybe 1% of all people in their lives, if that. I have 20+ points now in sheep and moose and others such as quality elk and will most likely never draw. Quality elk is pretty much OIL, but not advertised as it. And tags keep declining. But I keep donating. Dumb me.

Rich M

WKR
Sounds like you did stuff "the right way" and are now able to hunt premium style vs "just going". It does come with it's risks.

I would pick the best of the best of the best of your options and do a guided hunt on private in that unit. You can do the rest as DIY but me think you "deserve" and cream of the crop hunt for waiting that long and well, it isn't likely to get any better than it is right now.

Just my opinion.