How to compare binoculars?

Julius K

FNG
I ordered a demo pair of maven b2 9x45. They showed up today. I have been running a pair of Nikon pro staff 8x42 since 2002.

At first glance the the mavens are brighter and more vibrant color. But, how should I go about really comparing them?

Any tips would be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WRO

WKR
Do an edge to edge clarity test. Pick a spot with a lot of detail, then move the glass up, down, left and right while focusing on the image to the edge without touching the focus.

Then pick a black line on a white background and look for chromatic aberration. (It'll be the rainbow effect)

Then pick an item with high detail at a closer distance and really evaluate the details. Those fine details turn into tines at distance.

Finally, turn the glass upside down and look at the and look at a white piece of paper, the occular circle on the paper should be bright white, any shading of colors will show you what tint the glass has too it, and what colors may not pop.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

LaHunter

WKR
Get out in 'field conditions' late in the evening with low light and compare side by side all the way to dark.

OP
Julius K

Julius K

FNG
So in my first day comparing this glass, the mavens are definitely brighter. I don’t know if the detail is that significantly better to my eye.

Is the big step with higher end glass the brightness factor (light transmission)?

WRO

WKR
Brightness and light transmission are 2 different things imho.

I do agree on the low light testing.

Get an eye chart, it'll break down detail and ca well.

And yes the big 3 are better.
So in my first day comparing this glass, the mavens are definitely brighter. I don’t know if the detail is that significantly better to my eye.

Is the big step with higher end glass the brightness factor (light transmission)?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

LaHunter

WKR
For me, light transmission is much better and noticeable in higher end glass. You really need to evaluate this away from any artificial light in real field conditions.
Also, resolution (image sharpness) is better, especially in lower light. As light fades, the resolution fades in lower quality glass.
Another factor for me is eye fatigue. After glassing for extended periods of time, eye fatigue can become an issue with lower quality binos.