Conquest HD vs. Maven B5 15x56

samolot

FNG
Long time reader, rare poster, if at all. This site is where I go to learn about Mavens and it lead me to buy the B5 15x56. Amazing glass but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out on anything so I ordered the Conquests.

Rarely do these two optics get compared, so I figured I may provide some insight - The Mavens are hands down the better binocular. Sharper, bright, cleaner. More neutral color tone. The Mavens are seriously "alpha". The conquests have more comfortable eye cups and a nicer finish (I like the thicker rubber). The resolution and detail I was able to pull out of the Mavens was substantially better. I was also impressed with how bright the Mavens were. It was just a whiter image. I owned the Swaro SLC 15x56 in the past and the only thing the Mavens are worse at is chromatic aberration on the periphery, and less comfortable eyecups and build should you want to hand-hold. The conquests showed a lot of chromatic aberration, even in the center field.

At these price points - one should expect an amazing view from both binoculars and in reality they both do. But for those deciding between the two, I highly recommend going with the Mavens. They built a winner.

As always, one persons view through a pair of binoculars is highly subjective so I would like to hear from others who have had a chance to compare the two and see what their thoughts are.

Cheers

Attachments

• 6Z3A9643.JPG
    6Z3A9643.JPG
    425.4 KB · Views: 43
  • 6Z3A9646.JPG
    6Z3A9646.JPG
    372.1 KB · Views: 43
  • 6Z3A9648.JPG
    6Z3A9648.JPG
    374.6 KB · Views: 43

4th_point

WKR
Thanks for the info.

I was at a Maven show booth yesterday and really liked some of their optics. Unfortunately I didn't have time to check them all out, or go outside. May need to try the demo program.

JAC43

FNG
I've read rumors the Conquest HD 15x56 are Kamakura parts, but that Zeiss marks it as made in Germany. I think they look very similar to the Mavens.

Reed104R

Lil-Rokslider
Zeiss is known for outsourcing. I always thought they did well having Meopta build Conquest riflescopes for several years.

OP
S

samolot

FNG
The SLC's are without a doubt the best 15x. For close to a grand extra over the Maven you get better CA control and more comfortable eye cups. To some that is worth it.

I just wanted to compare the Conquests to the Mavens because I have not seen that here yet. I have no qualms over Japanese outsourcing - but that is a personal opinion. Every glass I owned from Japan has been very clean (Nikons and original Vortex Razor HD's).

Lando

WKR
At deer camp in Mexico this year we had the chance to have my Maven 18x56, and some friends Meopta 15x56, and the SLC 15x56 on tripods looking at the same hillside. My thoughts were that they were all very close, but that my Mavens were not quite as clear on the edges as the other two. My eyes said #1 SLC, #2 Meopta Meostar, #3 Maven. They were all good, but the distance between 2 and 3, was further than it was for 1 and 2. At the end of the day, I am happy with my 18 Mavens because I carry 12x50 Meostars already and going to 15 power wasn't a big enough increase to carry another pair of binoculars.

OP
S

samolot

FNG
Nice comparison! Would love to see someone offer their experience comparing the Meostar to the Maven 15's. The Mavens have a wider field of view (236 vs. 221ft) so the drop off in sharpness does not surprise me compared to the Meostars at the edge. However, the SLC 15's have 234 feet and are sharp to the edge which I will just say is amazing. The Conquests just FYI have 240ft - very soft edges.

OP
S

samolot

FNG
Gulb Is there something you wanted to add to my post you copied from bird forum?