How tall of a tripod for hunting?

zpearo

FNG
I've looked through a number of old posts here about hunting tripod advice, but haven't seen discussed how tall a tripod for hunting should be.

I would like something that I can shoot off and glass with binoculars (don't have a spotting scope). I expect this would only be seated or kneeling. The option to glass standing would be nice, but I'd rather have a sturdy, small, light tripod that works kneeling and sitting than compromise on any of those aspects just to get height to use standing. I'm 5'8".

So how tall should my tripod be?

Narrow down what tripod brand / model you want. Look at their specs to see what fits your needs.

I’m a stander and even my one tripod set up is perfect if I’m lookin down into basins or across but I need to hunker down to view at an up angle.

I think you’ll find many suitable because you won’t be standing - good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BBob

WKR
I’m a ground sitter. Never stand to glass. My most used tripod over the years is an original Outdoorsmans std green 2pc leg that is ~18” min , 30” without the center extension and 44” fully extended. All measurements are without a head on top. Very rarely do I need more than 5-6” of the center extension. I’ve always been able to set it up wherever I’ve been.

OP
Z

zpearo

FNG
I’m a ground sitter. Never stand to glass. My most used tripod over the years is an original Outdoorsmans std green 2pc leg that is ~18” min , 30” without the center extension and 44” fully extended. All measurements are without a head on top. Very rarely do I need more than 5-6” of the center extension. I’ve always been able to set it up wherever I’ve been.
Thanks, this is exactly the info I was looking for. So sounds like 36" on the tripod is enough

BBob

WKR
Thanks, this is exactly the info I was looking for. So sounds like 36" on the tripod is enough
For the most part yes. There’s the odd occasion where I’ve glassed from say a steep jumble of rocks where I’ll have the column extended way up and the legs at all different and odd angles. If I didn’t have it I’d make another spot work.

OP
Z

zpearo

FNG
For the most part yes. There’s the odd occasion where I’ve glassed from say a steep jumble of rocks where I’ll have the column extended way up and the legs at all different and odd angles. If I didn’t have it I’d make another spot work.
Have you ever shot off your tripod? I'm guessing a kneeling shot would need a slightly taller setup

BBob

WKR
Have you ever shot off your tripod? I'm guessing a kneeling shot would need a slightly taller setup
Not that tripod. I have a larger RRS. Still though I think 36” give or take is plenty high to shoot off of kneeling.

seand

Lil-Rokslider
At your height 60” minimum would work for standing with binos.

For shooting you can proportion the height to get close on flat ground but you are going to want extra length for sloped ground.

John_NZ

FNG
Perhaps a Neewer TP15 @ 28" and replace the ballhead with a Neewer panhead? Lightweight setup. Personally I picked up an old MeFoto Roadtrip aluminium for a couple of dollars (it was missing leg parts) and removed the lower two sections and used some rubber chair tips on the ends. I replaced the ballhead with a Neewer panhead and am using that with a spotting scope while sitting. But am not travelling far from the car so the weight is fine.

rcook10

WKR
I'm going to be a dissident here I think. Standing to glass or shoot of a tripod is so damn useful. There have been many times in my hunting career where I have been in thick brush or tree cover that has made being able to stand really pleasant. I also only carry a glassing pad so being able to get off my ass if i've been sitting for a while is so useful. you are not goign to save that much weight goign to a seated height tonly tripod IMO. You can get plenty of good tripod systems in the 2-2.5# range that can handle damn near anything and are quite stable.

John_NZ

FNG
I'm going to be a dissident here I think. Standing to glass or shoot of a tripod is so damn useful. There have been many times in my hunting career where I have been in thick brush or tree cover that has made being able to stand really pleasant. I also only carry a glassing pad so being able to get off my ass if i've been sitting for a while is so useful. you are not goign to save that much weight goign to a seated height tonly tripod IMO. You can get plenty of good tripod systems in the 2-2.5# range that can handle damn near anything and are quite stable.
It all depends on your surroundings - cannot see me using a spotting scope in dense bush, I'm using in open areas.

I always glass seated and shoot of my Slik carbon seated or kneeling. So, 22 to about 33” is just right 90% of the time for me. If your in taller sage brush, maybe slightly higher.

Elkangle

WKR
In my opinion you should have the ability to stand and glass but obviously sit if you can...versatility is king in the mountains and standing while glassing off a tripod is still better then hand holding...also you can use your taller tripod for tarps and lights, aswell as extreme steep angles shooting/glassing

Some times looking for the perfect spot isn't worth the weight saved of the shorter tripod and has cost me while in the field..what it cost me il never know because it disappeared before I could find the perfect spot to glass from

Hope this helps

rcb2000

WKR
Slik 634 without the center post allows me to glass standing, shoot standing, and then drop it way down if needed to shoot off like a bipod.

I’m 5’9”, for reference.

RussGS

Lil-Rokslider
rcook10 and Elkangle make some really great points. When glassing 2.5-3 hours per session, I cannot sit the entire time. I know the pros say to always sit to glass but I have to stand periodically to stretch out.

Even if your back and joints allow you to sit for your entire glassing session, the versatility of tall tripods can be useful. Truck glassing, using it for a shelter frame. If you do have to stand, and are glassing on a slope, extra height is really useful. After frustrating experiences the last two years I went to a Slik 733, which has a max height of 65.5". After adding the head and bino adaptor I can stand to glass even when standing on a slope, which requires having legs at different heights.