How much will back-straps weigh on a bull?

How much will the back-straps weigh on a mature Rocky Mtn bull elk? Just looking for a ball-park estimate... Thanks

coop2424

WKR
Pretty sure mine were right at 28-30lbs trimmed up.. It was a very big bodied bull and didn't get real carried away trimming..

Correction just looked at my notes and it was 24lbs for both after trimming..

Last edited:

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I think my 5x4 were down around 9-10lb after trimming each, but a 7x I helped with was more like 13lb ea. How you trim stuff would make a difference obviously as well.

OP
T
Mouthwatering for sure.Trying to make sense out of receiving 16 lbs back from the processor. And we are talking 'straps off a big bodied 340 class bull. I have a sick feeling in the pit of my gut for taking my meat to a processor...

JPHuntingAUS

Lil-Rokslider
You guys need to hunt fallow.

I just drop the guts out and pack the deer out whole! Couple of cuts between the back leg bone and the Achilles which you slot the front foot through and you've got yourself a venison backpack!

Or skip that and shoulder them whole!

51d645c03c9f26d4ba51d5f95a5d9f8e.jpg

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Poser

WKR
I weighed the backstraps from a bull last year. They were 16 pounds before trimming. Loss is about 50% after trimming.

Some of that trim can go in the grinder. If you are concerned about waste, you can throw the silverskin trimmings in the pot along with bones for stock. Silverskin will break down into gelatin eventually and of course any meat attached will get used as well.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Mouthwatering for sure.Trying to make sense out of receiving 16 lbs back from the processor. And we are talking 'straps off a big bodied 340 class bull. I have a sick feeling in the pit of my gut for taking my meat to a processor...

I figured this was where this was going. I doubt you got screwed over (if a processor is going to skim off a steak you think it would be loin or off a more tender younger animal) it's just that processors cut fast and more will likely end up as trim as they take off the silver skin and square things up.

That said even when my buddy dropped that 7x off at the butcher I took the bag with straps/loin home and cut/packed those for him, it's easy to do and piece of mind.

dotman

WKR

That sucks, you were robbed. Lesson learned but no reason to take back straps or loins to a processor ever.

JPHuntingAUS

Lil-Rokslider
Can someone explain processor? Do people not break down and butcher their own meat in the states?

dotman

WKR
Can someone explain processor? Do people not break down and butcher their own meat in the states?

Plenty do but plenty don't and pay someone to do it, processor is really just a butcher.

ckleeves

WKR
I just went out and weighted a "superstrap" ( backstrap cut all the way up the neck almost to atlas) of a bull my wife killed last Sunday and it was 12.2 lbs untrimmed.

I know plenty of processors and every single one gets accused of stealing meat about 50 times a year. Lol.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I just went out and weighted a "superstrap" ( backstrap cut all the way up the neck almost to atlas) of a bull my wife killed last Sunday and it was 12.2 lbs untrimmed.

I know plenty of processors and every single one gets accused of stealing meat about 50 times a year. Lol.

Right, then you factor in rapidly cutting and not getting 100% of it and trimming fast and you can quickly whittle it down to two of them packaged up at 16lb. I doubt he got "robbed" he just didn't get his animal cut up exactly (or as carefully) as he'd have liked which is common unless you want to pay for that extra labor.

Lesson is learned not that he was robbed but that butchers aren't going to painstakingly maximize the yield on an animal like we all would.

dotman

WKR
Right, then you factor in rapidly cutting and not getting 100% of it and trimming fast and you can quickly whittle it down to two of them packaged up at 16lb. I doubt he got "robbed" he just didn't get his animal cut up exactly (or as carefully) as he'd have liked which is common unless you want to pay for that extra labor.

Lesson is learned not that he was robbed but that butchers aren't going to painstakingly maximize the yield on an animal like we all would.

Yeah that is a better way to put it.

You guys need to hunt fallow.

I just drop the guts out and pack the deer out whole! Couple of cuts between the back leg bone and the Achilles which you slot the front foot through and you've got yourself a venison backpack!

Or skip that and shoulder them whole!

I've never understood this, except if you want to pose for a "he man" photo.

Your going to bone it out any way so why not do it where it lies and leave the rest for the wild dogs.

JPHuntingAUS

Lil-Rokslider
I've never understood this, except if you want to pose for a "he man" photo.

Your going to bone it out any way so why not do it where it lies and leave the rest for the wild dogs.
Im a sook that doesn't like dirt and hair in my meat.

I get it to the car, hang it up on the killing block at home and do it all there. That way you don't end up cursing for an hour straight while trying to pull deer hair, sticks and dirt off your meat and/or spitting it out at the tea table.

Mind you, given the opportunity I'm not the sort of bloke that just whips off the backstraps and cuts the legs off. I prefer to take shanks, ribs, and leave the backstrap on the rack. Can't do that if you don't have em whole

Makes perfect sense to me.

Wyo307

FNG
My bull from this year had a weight of 35.3 lbs in a game bag with both back straps and the loins untrimmed if that helps.