How much wildgame does your family eat?

Aside from dining out, the occasional chicken, and Thanksgiving turkey dinners, we’ve only eaten wild fish and game for the last 20 years or so. Our freezers always have Sockeye salmon and halibut, and usually moose, mountain goat, and Sitka black tail deer, and occasionally caribou, Dall sheep, and black bear in them. Currently we have all of the above, plus some Montana whitetail and elk that some friends gave us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Well I'm the only one as of now that eats any wild game in my family. Heck wife won't even eat fish. Got two girls that I will introduce wild game to when they get older

JakeSCH

WKR
Family of 4 (5 & 3 year old)

250 lbs of red meat (usually elk and deer) (5 to 10 meals a week)
50 lb of fish (yellowtail, yellowfin, and bluefin)
20 lb of pork (usually by buddies gives me quite a bit)

We do purchase chicken and salmon as well.

PablitoPescador

Lil-Rokslider
My wife and I probably eat through 2-3 lbs of meat a day so it goes quick. Our 9 month old boy is holding his own and probably eats 3-4 oz a day but I know that number is going to explode as time goes on. Last year I killed a bull elk, 3 antelope, 4 deer, a turkey and a few ducks and geese and we have maybe a month or two worth of meat left. Freezer is starting to get fairly empty. Hoping to get a bear, a paddlefish and some catfish this spring to replenish things.

ToolMann

WKR
Wife and i eat 2 deer and a pronghorn or so a year if we don't have elk. We also eat chicken probably 3 nights per week, an occasional pork and ribeyes once a month rounds out most of our protein intake. Wil hopefully bring back decent amount of fish from Alaska this summer.

Sanchez

Lil-Rokslider
We eat wild game or fish probably six days a week. For game usually one elk and a couple deer, along with perhaps 50 game birds mostly chukars.

Fish wise I live on the Oregon Coast with an ocean going boat so I catch all the lingcod and rockfish I want plus lots of salmon, halibut, albacore tuna, dungeness crab and a few miscellaneous species..

elkyinzer

WKR
About 2-3 deer a year. Wife likes ground venison in some things, we do a lot of taco meat with it. Some barbacoa and similar occassionally and steaks once in awhile. I'll often cook myself deer steaks alongside chicken for the family.

She's more into the walleye bounty, we bring home from Erie enough every year to eat about once a week. Rabbit, squirrels, and grouse is all me.

From the store we rarely buy red meat.
80/20 burger once in awhile for good burgers. Deer burgers are mediocre at best. We buy a lot of chicken thighs, pork shoulder, and salmon.

Honestly I'm good for about 2x a week max with venison. It gets kinda boring to me, need those fatty meats for some balance.

UpTop

Lil-Rokslider
I’m impressed! I need to show this to my wife. I’ve got the kids on board for the most part, but usually it’s me and my co workers.

My wife and I eat a cow elk in about 11 months. On the good years when we get a couple, I share with my kids and their families. The last two years have been tough and we had to kill a beef . It was filling but we would rather eat elk.

We have had elk on the table since the 30s with my father. It's a family event and a life style.

My wife and I go through 250# a year of game meat, so 5# a week. We eat out a couple meals a week but don't buy any meat from the grocery store for the last 2 years.

Me and my wife go through at least 4 whitetail deer a year. And 30+ pounds of fish. Chicken comes from a buddy’s farm. We bought steaks last week for the first time in probably a year. We cook 5-6 dinners a week at home all have some kind of protein and we don’t by anything other than lunch meats from time to time

cjdewese

WKR
A lot less than I am hoping to in a few years.

Trying to learn how to hunt local before venturing out to other states. Until I can fill both my deer tags locally on the regular, I don't want to spend the time or $ necessary to try and figure anything else out.

peterk123

WKR
A lot. We supplement our deer and wild turkey intake with a lot of fish. We eat trout, white fish, and pan fish one to two times per week. Now that we moved we hope to add an elk to the mix.

S.Clancy

WKR
My best guess is 400-450 lbs between 2 people. For example, last year we killed 2 elk ( 1 big 5x5 and a cow) 2 mule deer bucks (both 3.5-4.5 yr olds), an antelope and game birds. We have given maybe 50 lbs away, and the freezer will be getting pretty empty by August. I literally dont buy store meat

JM-Ascent

FNG
This is a great question and always has me curious. Has anyone ever weighed the amount of processed meat you get from a deer, elk, or antelope after you have butchered it and added some fat to the hamburger if that’s what you do.

Elk97

WKR
We get a lot of spot prawns and salmon and dungie crab so that's what we eat mostly. Elk when I get one (wish it was more, we love it), venison.