How much wildgame does your family eat?

go_deep

WKR
Just curious how much wildgame do people actually eat every year? Don't include how much you give away and donate, just you immediate household.
Our family we make it a point to have the freezer empty of wildgame before each season starts. From steaks, roasts, burger, plus all the various seasoned and cured meats at the most my family of 4 can eat 2 elk, 2 deer, and 2 Antelope in an entire year, and then through in some fish, a few grouse, maybe a turkey or 2, plus a few rabbits.
The average week we average over 50% of our meals include wildgame.

So how much wildgame does your family actually eat every year?

Last edited:
A LOT lol

In VA, we can kill as many deer as we want. I usually take home 5 a season and we chow through it in about 6 or 7 months

*edit for full scope view*

We usually raise and kill about 20-30 chickens. I bring home squirrels and 1-2 wild turkeys every year. I'll also add that we buy some ground beef and a whole pig every year.. I'm going to be buying a 1/2 cow this year to see where that puts us.. Family of 2 parents and 3 kids

Last edited:

grossklw

Lil-Rokslider
Our family including my wife and 3.5 year old eat about 1/2 elk (on years I go), 1 whitetail (2 or 3 if I didn't kill an elk), 1-2 turkeys, and 30ish pheasants/year. I still like pork so we go through 1/2 pig too but obviously not wild game. Tack on another 75-100 lbs of halibut/rockfish/lingcod a year from our AK trip and a dozen or so chickens.

Last edited:

Gwchem

Lil-Rokslider
Just curious how much wildgame do people actually eat every year? Don't include how much you give away and donate, just you immediate household.
Our family we make it a point to have the freezer empty of wildgame before each season starts. From steaks, roasts, burger, plus all the various seasoned and cured meats at the most my family of 4 can eat 2 elk, 2 deer, and 2 Antelope in an entire year, and then through in some fish, a few grouse, maybe a turkey or 2, plus a few rabbits.
The average week we average over 50% of our meals include wildgame.

So how much wildgame does your family actually eat every year?
That's a huge amount of meat!

My family of 4 eats through about 150-200 pounds of venison every year. We don't buy any other red meat. We buy some chicken and fish to supplement.

Same here trying to start the season with an empty freezer, or at least everything processed as I like to have venison sausage and such in camp. Last year wife myself and three sons went through 5 whitetail, 2 antelope, about 4-5 hogs, and a TON of fish. We have a camp down on the coast we spend a lot of time at and load up on fish constantly.

jruff002

Lil-Rokslider
i eat ground deer meat EVERY week day for my dinner. My wife on sundays just makes up a big batch of spaghetti, stew, deer dip, etc and i eat it all week. i'd say 20% of weekends i eat wild hog, deer, or fish i enjoy cooking for my friends on fire pit

Btaylor

WKR
Just me and the wife, 2.5-3 deer, a turkey, some fish, 2-3 skwerl cookings, wild hog when I get a chance to whack one and on a good year throw in some ducks. We buy chicken breast or pork chops occasionally.

Seth

WKR
Family of 4 with one teen and one preteen and I like to have 2 elk and 2 deer put up. The freezer will be empty by the next season and we’ll still supplement with grocery store meat.

ODB

WKR
Not a lot. Maybe a deer, but a lot of birds.

I can eat one hell of a lot of chakalaka though. Usually make a big pot and eat it all week with homemade chipati

sram9102

WKR
I eat 3-4 deer a year. We have pretty liberal bag limits on deer around here and I try to not buy meat from the store for myself. If I end up with any left overs as the season rolls around it gets turned into summer sausage. Also eat as much goose jerky as I can manage to put away and a dozen or so ducks a year. Probably get more into small game once the kiddo get a little older.

Sapcut

WKR
I am not exactly sure how much wild game my wife and I eat per year but I eat it nearly every day. I kill several pigs and several deer per year and we eat nearly all each year except what I give away. Probably average eating wild meat six days per week.

Being mostly (which is not enough) on a GODmade diet, venison, wild pig, pastured duck and chicken eggs definitely comprise the large majority of my food intake. I make a Veniswine Stew (chili) at least once a week. That along with venison and pig sausage, burger, summer sausage, eggs.

It is well known now that deer have the Covid virus and carry Covid antibodies. I’m still waiting on the research to show up that proves how eating venison will increase antibodies in humans bolstering the immune system. I am absolutely convinced this is true in my case.

Other than whitetails and wild pigs in some areas feeding on commercial ag crops, venison and wild pork are two of only a few excellent food items for humans that are not destroyed by MANufacturing.

Last edited:

Snowwolfe

Lil-Rokslider
Just the wife and I at home now. We eat 3-4 deer a year. The only beef we buy are the occasional ribeyes or prime rib roast. We do buy and eat pork and chicken maybe 1 day a week.
Venison is our main source of protein and we process it all ourselves

guylaga

Lil-Rokslider
Family of four - not as much as I would like.

My wife does not care for Venison, so if I want make spaghetti, tacos, burgers...ect I have to cook some beef along with the game meat. Only deer she will eat is chicken fried back strap.

I will make slow cooked roasts when she is out of town.

Guess we make up for it in fish, at least one meal a week is something we caught.

Family of 4.
We go through 250 lbs of wild game every year. No other red meat. We also eat 3-5 turkeys and a handful of grouse and snowshoe hare.
We occasionally buy chicken/pork.

We only have a 3.5 year old. We eat salmon at least twice a week (~3 lbs) and probably do on average 5 lbs of other wildgame (ground, roast, sausage). We usually have a good variety of animals (moose, caribou, sheep, goat, musk ox, etc). Plus halibut a few times a month. So I'd guess easily ~150 lbs of salmon and ~200-250 lbs of red meat. We have 3 freezers in the garage.

There is a large house for sale down the street with a walk in freezer off the kitchen hidden like a pantry. if I have another boy in the next month, I may need to build something like that in a couple of years! I'm guessing our consumption will 2-3x in about 10 years when kids are teens.

Zaccav505

FNG
We raise our own beefs and hogs every year or two, but also typically eat 2 whitetail per year, and give away another whitetail and some of the pork and beef we raise. typically though, a hog will last a year, a beef will last 4 years, but all the whitetail besides some jerky I make specifically for hunting is gone before the next season. I am considering just going on a hog hunt every year or two instead of raising them myself. Cheaper that way!