How much elevation can you comfortably cover in a day?

P Carter

WKR
Thanks for the replies everyone. This helps a lot. Looking at a 8000-10000' climb, 5 miles, On trail. Shouldn't be too bad, but my Pennsylvania lungs may beg to differ....

And to clarify, this would be to the "area" I want to hunt, but obviously, I'm plotting my initial trail to the Plan A glassing spot. I'm realizing that hike would be very difficult to get to before daybreak, so we will problably just hike/hunt into the area the first day and depending on if we want to stay there, pick a camp spot (bivy) that would put us in a good position for the next morning. Hopefully hear some bugles overnight.
Do you mean going from 8,000 to 10,000 feet in 5 miles (2,000 feet of gain)? Or climbing 8,000-10,000 vertical feet in 5 miles? The former is doable. The latter…you’d probably want to think about whether you have reason to believe that is a good idea, based on some sort of objective data. Ie, if you’ve recently done a backpacking trip in which you’ve climbed that much, good on you. If you’re thinking meh, im in pretty good shape, surely I can do it, you might need reality check

In my opinion "vert" is a lot like "we packed in 8 miles" or I "shoot sub moa all day" type comments. I would say 2k and under with a pack can be comfortable. Above that, you will start to wear down each day. Pick a camp spot that limits the climb as much as possible. That allows for more ability to cover more area. The climbing and descending add up quick. Not to mention the pack out once an animal is down.....ask me how I know.

Poser

WKR
Do you mean going from 8,000 to 10,000 feet in 5 miles (2,000 feet of gain)? Or climbing 8,000-10,000 vertical feet in 5 miles? The former is doable. The latter…you’d probably want to think about whether you have reason to believe that is a good idea, based on some sort of objective data. Ie, if you’ve recently done a backpacking trip in which you’ve climbed that much, good on you. If you’re thinking meh, im in pretty good shape, surely I can do it, you might need reality check

I read that as 8-10k as well, but I think you’re right that he’s referring to elevation. It’s difficult to do 8k in one day in CO without traversing a mountain range. The starting point elevation is too high. Now, in the NW, you totally can do that with such low elevation starting points.

RMM

WKR
Two buddies and I hiked 1200 vertical feet in ~1 mile to kill my bull. That was after we picked the wrong ridge and hiked up about 600ft only to realize we were too far away.

P Carter

WKR
I read that as 8-10k as well, but I think you’re right that he’s referring to elevation. It’s difficult to do 8k in one day in CO without traversing a mountain range. The starting point elevation is too high. Now, in the NW, you totally can do that with such low elevation starting points.
Agreed. I've done 10k in a day a few times, but only when traversing mountain ranges during ultra marathons; once climbing in the Andes; and nearly that much--I think closer to 8,000 feet of gain--running the Four Pass Loop.

Good for fun, a terrible tactic for hunting.

OP
J

jarrettd

FNG
Sorry y’all. Should have been more specific. Starting g at 8,000’ and ending at 10,000’. So a 2,000’ gain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This one hit pretty hard as you can probably tell by the trail name. Started on open ridge line and dropped most of the elevation loss on a heavily timbered north face. Climbed back up via a creek bed. Hope to do it again this year

3C4FE867-4C4C-47AC-943D-4F3F64CD9F65.png

Ebby

WKR
Like everyone has said, the terrain and grade matter a lot

I did 2700-3200ft per day a few times last year on an early archery deer hunt. Most of those were steep climbs over 1.5-2 miles. Really tough to do that when it's steep grade like that. Doing 2k over 5 miles should be very doable.

PMcGee

WKR
Sorry y’all. Should have been more specific. Starting g at 8,000’ and ending at 10,000’. So a 2,000’ gain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That shouldn’t be that bad. I’d take stuff to camp when I first went in. At least a couple days worth of food. Pack weight shouldn’t be to bad. If I went in that far I’d definitely be spending more then one day. I don’t think you can get a true assessment of the area in one day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
How much elevation can you comfortably cover in a day?
I have NO idea. I've never measured elevation gains, nor cared to. If I see a spot I want to get to.....I just go. But like Poser said, I'm not hiking half the night to be at a spot at a certain time. I'll pack-in the afternoon before if I want to do that. Any time I pack-in to an area I want to hunt, I always do that in the daylight. Then I can hunt the evening after I get there and set up camp, and have the next day or two as well. Then I'm off to somewhere else if that hasn't worked out.

Looking at my OnX track, the most I’ve done is 3700ish in about 7.5 miles. Not fun but doable. I think starting elevation matters a lot. Going from 1k to 5k is significantly different than 8k-12k.

Last edited:

Rock-o

WKR
As a low elevation flat lander, my first western hunt this past Spring was in Frank Church. I did just under 1000 feet in one day... and thought I was going to die... before I was done. Don't laugh.

My legs were not the issue, it was my lungs. I absolutely struggled breathing that entire hunt. I'm sure 20 years of smoking didn't help me any. I quit cold turkey about 6? years ago.

manitou1

WKR
As a low elevation flat lander, my first western hunt this past Spring was in Frank Church. I did just under 1000 feet in one day... and thought I was going to die... before I was done. Don't laugh.

My legs were not the issue, it was my lungs. I absolutely struggled breathing that entire hunt. I'm sure 20 years of smoking didn't help me any. I quit cold turkey about 6? years ago.
Age does make a difference also. As we age our heart chambers refill slower and the body processes oxygen slower. We have all seen that 70 year old guy who runs marathons, but we have never seen that 70 year old come in first place!
I don't know your age, just relaying what my cardiologist told me last month.

Hnthrdr

WKR
You need to ask if you are hiking or hunting, 3-4k can be done no problem if you are hiking… now hunting, you are probably moving way too quick, I think 1-2k while hunting is appropriate and as others have said, are you on trail, off trail? Timber, oak brush, sage? Lots of variables