How much does your 2024 pack weigh loaded?

repins05

WKR
How much does your 2024 pack weigh loaded?

What pack and size?

How far are you going in?

Duration of planned hunt?

Last edited:
Mine doesn’t weigh much right now as I’m not using it. During hunting season, it will weigh 30-40 lbs.

MR Sawtooth 45.

5-13 total miles per day. Usually, on the higher side.

Hike in everyday from camp.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
from my backcountry deer hunt last year (late September)

SO Peregrine
at one point I was 14 miles in, which was too far IMHO! :D (~40 miles total)
four day/three night hunt

32 # base weight (counting rifle, binos, small spotter/tripod) & ~ 10 pounds in food/water

later season the weight goes up with a heavier sleeping bag/heavier clothing, probably 2-3 lbs

my day hunts the pack is ~ 15 # w/ food/water (not counting rifle-in my hand, no spotter)

Fullfan

WKR
Weighed my day pack last year, 31 pounds. Kuiu pro 2300 with 2l of water, bow, game bags, several knives, two headlamps, and some food. Most days are 4-6 miles, several 9-11 miles

probably too much. I'm not 100% sure yet how far we'll be going from the vehicle on the daily, but it shouldn't be over 20#. Plan is to dump all gear at camp and bring extra gear if we are going to spend a day away from camp. I sure as heck won't be carrying a 10L dromedary bag with me

My bag however will be a Ma Duece from Kifaru

Hussar

Lil-Rokslider
I'll be hunting Archery OTC Deer in AZ. Pack is a Seek Outside 5400.

Depending on the trip, my 3 general loadouts are:
  • Day Hunts with no chance of staying overnight - 23.6lbs - Usually cover 1-8 miles - Lighterpack Link
  • Early Season Trip - 29.5lbs - usually 2-3 day trip, with 6-20 miles - Lighterpack Link
  • Late Season Trip - 30.5lbs - same as early season, I just add a puffy jacket.

yycyak

Lil-Rokslider
Depends.

I've adapted my hunting style a bit, and these days I mostly try to "run and gun". I carry a tiny little daypack, with some water + sawyer filter, some snacks, a kill kit, and a puffy/extra layer/rain jacket. Weighs maybe 15lbs, depending on how much water I want to take that day. I start out from the truck, hike around all day, and wind up back at the truck in the dark.

But, if I'm staying/hunting out of a spike camp, I think I'm about 50lbs all up with food/water. SG Sky 5900. Then add bino harness and rifle.

My theory (for the moment) is that if I can't find the critter, I can't kill the critter. I can cover more ground faster with less gear. Run 'n gun. Once the critter is down, cut it up, get it into game bags, and go back to camp/truck for the recovery gear. If recovery happens the day after, fine. I can't pack a full critter out myself solo anyways, so why gas myself carrying all the recovery gear etc.

I don't know if this is smart/dumb, but it worked well last season and for a chunk of 2022. I used to try "bivy hunting", but man your fitness has to be dialed in to do that every day. (I'm an office weenie these days... le sigh.) Respect to the guys who *can* hunt that way all season.

20240718_113849.jpg

Last edited:
All I know is that it's kind of heavy, with all the optics, cameras and lenses, communications gear, rifle, cartridges, lunch, fluids jackets, vests, gloves, plastic garbage bags, meat/trophy processing tools, and all the survival/first-aid stuff I'm required to carry every day. Nuts 🥴

I'm not hunting this year due to being in paramedic school. However, I have my bag packed and I do training rucks three days a week. I am using a Sawtooth 45, Argali Rincon, 20 degree bag and Big Agnes Rapide SL.
I used the exact same thing on a deer hunt last year and can do 5 days (assuming area has water) under 30 lbs. With rifle I am at 32. I don't exactly take comfort items as I value lighter weight for my aging arthritic knees.