How many years

How often are you killing

• I kill every year, sometimes 2x if I have more than 1 tag

Votes: 30 27.0%
  • Every other year 50% success

Votes: 32 28.8%
  • 75% successful over 5 years

Votes: 23 20.7%
  • I'm not sure what an elk looks like because I've never killed one.

Votes: 22 19.8%
  • I'm sponsored and pay people to kill them for me

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • I've never killed a Bull but I kill a cow every year

Votes: 3 2.7%

• Total voters
I'm pretty hard on "elk" not saying I'm a big bull killer but I've done well pretty much every year for a long time. I don't consider them my favorite animal, far from it, I actually thought I spent too much time hunting them this year but I've arrowed a quite a few over the years. I had 3 tags this year, all punched on OTC public land units.

All I know is WY is my favorite new place wow!

Poser

WKR
When I whitetail hunted, I killed no less than 3-5 person season, sometimes 9 or 10 and could have killed many more.

Elk hunting is right at 50% success rate for me hunting a 5 day 1st rifle season in SW CO year to year. I’ve never not directly encountered elk (at very close range even) but usually defeated by terrain.

After my first year in '08 i was unsuccessful but hooked. I set out to shorten the learning curve and discovered Paul's stuff. (Elknut1) and killed elk the next 5 years straight. Then a string of bad luck and now killing elk again. I should mention i am an equal opportunity killer. For example i hunted the Gila this year again and killed a cow when i knew there was a bull not to far. Call me crazy but I'm eating elk this winter.

Last edited:
I hunted a total of 10 days over 2 archery seasons. Still waiting on my first elk kill. I kill as many whitetail as I want, which is usually 2 per season. That's all my family can consume in a year. I never shoot more than we can eat.

First 4 years of elk hunting, killed 3 elk...
Then the elk hunting gods figured it'd be best to humble me. Havent killed an elk in the next 5 years..

78CJ

FNG
I'm 0/2. Actually the only time I have seen elk has been glassing the day before season and walking up on a cow and calf at dark on my way out.

That being said my hunting partner had killed elk both times on the first day so then it turns into a group effort for a few days.

This year is going to be in a tough unit in CO. It was a draw unit but it has high pressure. My friend is a resident and has certainly honed his hunting skills so we'll see what happens. I go into these things with the outlook as it being a very expensive backpacking trip!

hunterjmj

WKR
I kill a cow elk every year sometimes 2 if I get a damage hunt. It's a draw where I deer hunt. I haven't intentionally hunted for bulls in 10 years or so. I really enjoy deer hunting but having a cow elk in the freezer every year is great. Maybe someday I'll get into elk hunting. I do like seeing all bulls in the back of pickups around town though.

drra

FNG
I likely will not get a SD tag until I"m retired, wiill need to go to another state - still trying to wrap my head around preference points with the new system in WY. When I get to go it will be more about the experience and hopeful stalk than about the kill if I'm that fortunate.

cnelk

WKR
I’ve been blanked 4 times in the past 20 years. Some of those 16 years I killed 2 elk.

Don’t know what my success % is.

TheHammer

WKR
After filling a couple rifle tags, I figured it was best to try archery. I’ve drawn my bow 7xs without being able to release an arrow and in my first archery year I passed 3 legal bulls(set unrealistic standards). I figure if the elk are there I will get on them. This year I hunted co82 n man was it humbling. I made a choice to alter my life to make sure I was in the best shape possible, make better choices throughout the year to set myself up for success as best as possible. Now I want to move myself and my business west to chase big game as much as possible. I might end up paying a guide at some point to teach me something or get me further in some places.

Mojave

WKR
In 2018 I killed 3 deer, killed that aoudad in 2020, I didn't kill anything until 2022 and I got an antelope. A lot of that is tags. I live in New Mexico and tags are hard to come by.

My 3 deer came from Germany, and I had a 5 year dry spell before that. 2011-2013 I probably killed 200 kangaroos a year, and zero deer, that was in Australia.

Feast or famine.

Now that I am out of the military it seems to be harder to get any decent tags.

59 seasons. 75 elk. I take what is offered. I 've killed a few nice bulls in the early years but I haven't seen a six since the late 90s and haven't seem a big bull since 83. They just don't live that long. I would be happy with a cow tag each year.