How Many Still Prefer To Hunt Alone?

I would rather hunt and fish alone. Once my dad and uncle (a second dad) got too old to go, I had just as soon be in the woods or on the water alone. I have some friends that go with me sometimes and it’s enjoyable, it just isn’t the same.

bpeay4

Lil-Rokslider
Depends on the tag but for the most part I'm with ya. I like to do what I want, when I want and how I want. I don't like to tip toe around others ideas or opinions. I will say having more bodies helps in so many ways such as calling setups, pack outs, extra eyes and safety.

I do however really enjoy hunting with my wife as well as my dad but that's about we are rarely able to coordinate it.

I also like hunting with others in a group if they have a tag and I don't. None of the decisions fall on me and I can tag along and help.

BBob

WKR
I spend almost all of my personal hunts (and fishing) alone but I do have a few that I don't mind hunting with at all. Usually when I'm with those friends I'm helping on the tag and not hunting myself. My fly fishing is almost always solo. I help new hunters here and there (I'm pretty picky about who) and enjoy that quite a bit. When I bird hunted regularly I much preferred it just myself and my dog. All in all I guess I like the solo thing best.

I hunt probably 70% solo. I do enjoy hunts with a few friends and relatives also though. I wouldn't want to miss out on hunting with the kids or my brother and Brother-in-law.

sasquatch

WKR
I like hunting solo but maybe being on a hunting trip with others if that makes sense.

Like all camping together or what not but each person goes out on their own each day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Elkhntr08

WKR
Took a couple young guys, 21 & 25, to Colorado this year. At 63, I found them to be a little immature, the 21 year old in particular. Spent most of their time in camp on their phones and didn’t pitch in much. It’s probably a generational thing. I had hoped for better.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I enjoy hunting with buddies (only hunt with a select few) but the reality is 90% of my hunting is solo.

My more memorable hunts seem to be the ones when I’m not hunting solo.

Solo except when my son goes.
And looks like my big game hunting may be dwindling, as my son wants to be a duck/bird hunter.
I'm cool with that as I get old.

go_deep

WKR
Primarily solo, I kind of get where some people have very little time off and can't or won't commit to the time I want to take, many people have zero interest in hiking into the places I hunt. I think many people on the mountain use hunting as an excuse to get away for a week, and kind of hunt, but put little effort into it all, it's their one week vacation.
I get lots of time off and take a vacation, to vacation. When I'm on the mountain fishing, trapping, or hunting, I'm all in.

Reactions: LoH

TaperPin

WKR
It depends. I get a rush out of two things - the hunting to get into position for a shot, and a second rush out of the actual shot.

If I’m all out balls to the walls trophy hunting, it’s best done solo with fewer distractions, or at least that’s what I tell myself. It lets me hunt in the ways that make the most sense, and there’s no wasted time waiting for a slow poke, or working around some personal quirk of theirs. It’s very hard for me to trust another person’s wind/range call - even if they are just as competent.

It can be just as rewarding to help a friend or family member, but make no mistake about it, this coaching is less productive and that’s ok.

Helping a less experienced hunter take an animal I’d be proud of is almost the same feeling as if I squeezed the trigger. This feeds the hunting side of the brain - I’ve been known to bump into someone without a clue, and get them into position for a big animal that was picked up earlier that day. Helping others extends the season and allows hunting across different seasons, states, and areas.

After helping with the hunt and getting into position, even helping a shooter take an average animal at their max range is a rush. Who doesn’t like watching a great shot, let alone being a part of it. Passing on shooting skills under the pressures of hunting often should be as a coach, rather than critiquing the shot after the fact. Some of my favorite memories are with inexperienced shooters that have proven they are capable at 100/200 yards, but have never made a shot at 400-450 yards. The first animal taken at that range changes the hunter forever - the day he/she became a long range hunter.

For the most part, I much prefer to hunt by myself so I can enjoy my experience in peace, instead of having to sooth and cottle to others' needs and feelings.
I'd give anything to hunt with my dad or gramps again, but other than that, I'm fine solo.

Last edited:
For my style hunting , I hunt alone. I doubt anyone else would fit in my climber with me. But I like some other hunters in camp.
Fishing is a social sport for me. I want some company fishing. No fun heckling myself….

I presently have two "Apprentice" young men elk hunting with me ( 36 & 31), and while I generally have hunted alone, I am thoroughly enjoying their experiences and watching them becoming better hunters and better woodsman. Also will help tremendously on a pack out!

I have a couple partners that I travel with on horseback. However when we get to our destination, we tie up our stock and each take a differant ridge to hunt. That way we can hunt at our own pace and can explore as we feel the need.

The other benefit is that as we kick the elk out in front of us, we can move them in front of our partners for a shot. At a preset time we meet back at the horses and travel to the next foot- hunt. This way we solo hunt as well as partner hunt - scout /recon as well as search and destroy. I guess the horses allow me to cover a lot of land while saving my strength for specific hunts.

As I get older my strength declines with my body mass but what bothers me the most is reduction of endurance and extended recovery time.