How many of you keep a gun you will never use in the woods?

Luked

WKR
I have 2 300 WSM Win model 70s
both were given to me by a good friend.
One of them is a Supergrade model and is a really pretty gun. nice wood stock etc.
The other is a synthetic stock model and is a nice gun as well.

The Supergrade I will probably never use just because I dont want to take it to the woods and mess the stock up. So its a safe queen.

I keep going back and forth on weather to keep the gun or not as I know ill never take it to the woods.
I have plenty of other rifles to use that get used.
And have thought of trading the Supergrade for something more of what I want to get which is a 6.5 PRC Tikka.
I just cant make up my mind if I want to keep the Supergrade or get rid of it for something else.

I don't keep guns i don't shoot or have no sentimental value to me. Reloading components and scopes are too expensive to have sitting around on guns i don't shoot or hunt with.

I'd rather have 3 very accurate expensive rifles i can count on every time with quality consistent ammo and a reliable scope vs a safe full of guns with cheap scopes and a some half shot boxes of ammo for each.

Quality over quantity for me. I used to have a bunch of guns, but it was useless keeping them so I sold them and upgraded the rifles i have

Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have some guns I won't likely use (or use much) but I inherited them so I'm less inclined to sell them off at this time. Selling guns in CO is annoying (private party transfers require a FFL and now a waiting period) so unless the gun has value (but no attachment) its not worth bothering trying to sell. If I could easily sell a gun private party I might get rid of or shuffle the lineup more.

Yep I have my first rifle (Featherweight .30-06) and a few of my Dad's (one is a supergrade). They are all classic walnut stock and blued. They are nice but behind the modern rifles in the queue to go outin the field

I have some guns I won't likely use (or use much) but I inherited them so I'm less inclined to sell them off at this time. Selling guns in CO is annoying (private party transfers require a FFL and now a waiting period) so unless the gun has value (but no attachment) its not worth bothering trying to sell. If I could easily sell a gun private party I might get rid of or shuffle the lineup more.
If that's a new law just back date the bill of sale. Oregon is the same way now but that's a law I won't ever comply with.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If that's a new law just back date the bill of sale. Oregon is the same way now but that's a law I won't ever comply with.

FFL for private party has been like a decade now, the 3day waiting period is about a year old now and the FFL (required in the decade old law already) is gonna follow the new 3 day rule.

I have rifles that are really just for long range hobbyist shooting. I have a .22lr that's a match-style rifle and will never see the woods. I also now have a centerfire competition-style rifle that's in that same category other than maybe tree stand hunting in the Carolinas (it's like 21.5 pounds and PRS-style).

TaperPin

WKR
Weren’t doe tags invented specifically for rarely shot rifles and pistolas?
Smacking an antelope with a 44 mag, or taking a mulie with the trapper model 30-30 is good fun at any range - plenty of elk have been clobbered in the timber with fun over powered safari rifles. There’s nothing wrong taking everything with a favorite 600 yard rifle, but it feels as exciting as going to the grocery store when a group of suicidal does runs across the dirt road and just stops and stares 100 yards away. If there’s no effort required it’s just shooting, not hunting.

But the times are a changing and if there is a chance of being away from the vehicle for most of the day I stopped bringing the backup rifle, big pistol, small pistol, varmint gun, and the rarely shot rifle. I’ve also gifted most guns down the totem pole, but there are more barrels to choose from for the one receiver than I ever had as full rifles, so it’s not completely boring. *chuckle*

I got a bunch of guns that I will never use in the woods that were hand me downs that I will likely sell one day.

hiker270

WKR
Every so often I look in my gun safe's and realize several rifles and shotguns I probably will not hunt with. Some I purchased many years ago and some are recent purchases I thought I just had to have. Really not thinking about selling them but in the past I have given some to my son-in-law and grandson. Last weekend the grandson and I were target shooting and I brought out a Tikka 6.5 Cm that has really been a safe queen. Told the grandson hit a 2 inch bullseye at 200 yards and the gun is yours. Gave him 3 shots. He came within 1/4" of the bullseye. Rifle is back in my gun safe. I'll let him try again but I'll give it to him bullseye or not eventually.

Maverick1

WKR
Why would you keep a gun in the woods? :sneaky: Exposure to the elements would likely have several negative consequences to the rifle. Rust, corrosion, etc. Probably best to keep guns indoors, preferably in a safe.

SC HUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
I've got several I'll never hunt with that were inherited from my grandparents. I've got a remington jammaster 30-06 that I'm going to shoot a deer with eventually just because that I inherited. If they don't have sentimental value their not safe around my house. There is no telling what I'm selling or trading at any given time.

I have a 1963 Remington 700 in 30-06 that stays in the safe because it’s been supplanted by a pair of stainless Tikka T3x’s. One.30-06 and the other 7mm-08. I also have a browning 243 that I just use as a practice rifle.

h2so4

WKR
I’ve got a Rem 760 pump action in 30-06. I doubt it will get out very much. Maybe on a hunt where I want to shoot it for nostalgia and I don’t care about weight.