How many of you guys are just sitting your hunt?

Gerbdog

WKR
Crazy how every hunter knows a guy that did this. Mine was a high school friend's dad. Does it ever really happen or just some story that passes from person to person as somebody who wants to sound cool takes the torch and repeats it?
nah he definitely broke his ribs, i have to assume his story was accurate with how he broke his ribs... i wasnt there but the after math i did see. Given who he is it is zero surprise to me. That said... maybe he just slipped and broke ribs and decided he needed an epic story.....

intunegp

WKR
nah he definitely broke his ribs, i have to assume his story was accurate with how he broke his ribs... i wasnt there but the after math i did see. Given who he is it is zero surprise to me. That said... maybe he just slipped and broke ribs and decided he needed an epic story.....

Right...I had an appendectomy when I was like 10 and throughout middle school and high school I told anyone that saw the scar I got stabbed.

Weldor

WKR
Helping a good friend on his cow hunt, at 77 he's not a spry as he used to be. We'll be sitting as he calls it "a old mans hunt". It works down this way we are 6 for 6 yrs. Elk travel and do their morning stretch like clock work.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Helping a good friend on his cow hunt, at 77 he's not a spry as he used to be. We'll be sitting as he calls it "an old mans hunt". It works down this way we are 6 for 6 yrs. Elk travel and do their morning stretch like clock work.
This is rewarding stuff! I helped an awesome old dude/friend on his bear hunt. It was great. He calls what he does “A gentleman’s hunt”

This old bear just walked in front of him as he was walking from the SXS to the glsssing point a couple hundred yards away.

Heading up to hunt elk with him in a few weeks too. He will climb a little hill and sit and glass. I will process the elk he kills, and pack it for him with a buddy.

What he does has virtually no element of “pursuit” in it. Some people say that isn’t hunting. Of course they is just opinion. Wonder if that opinion will change.

I just hope I have someone to help me hunt when I am old—even if I have to just sit in the mountains.

IMG_7206.jpegIMG_7191.jpeg
IMG_7214.jpegIMG_7256.jpeg

Bmhunts

FNG
I have done elk hunts a few times, only saw some the last time I went (Watched a hunter across the valley stare the opposite way of them for an hour. If he only knew to turn around and hike through a small crop of trees!) But I feel like most of my hunts are just long hikes holding a bow. Not complaining, but I think my restlessness plays against me sometimes. I always hear about these guys chasing a herd or a bugal, but how many of you guys just find a nice field with some sign and sit out the days there?

Up until this year I had never gotten an elk with a bow, I'd gotten close but never sent an arrow. Typically I like to call a lot and chase bugles. After last year I chatted with a few hardcore and very successful archery hunters and after I told them about all my close calls they pretty much all told me the same thing, leave the calls in the truck and just hunt.

This year I wanted to take my dog with me so instead of running and gunning I decided to just post up. I know my area really well so the first day I sat overllooking a wallow and the second day I sat in a pinch point along a great travel corridor. I was about 4 hours into my evening sit on day two when I got my bull with my dog leashed to a tree right behind me.

ozyclint

WKR
And on that note, how can sitting in a tree stand where you've cleared shooting lanes in 360 degrees, cut branches out of your lines of sight and planted the best alfalfa grass etc in these lanes really be considered "Fair Chase"??
......but lying on a grassy knoll and bowling them over at 700 yards is good to go.
Hope you didn't clear the long grass in front of the muzzle? That wouldn't be hunting.

Shot a cow this year one evening. We were watching a meadow with a lot of sign around it. 2 days later we killed a nice 5pt by moving in on bugles and aggressive calling. Usually do a mix of both on our hunts.
This is a great post illustrating there is more than 1 way to skin an elk. Sitting is just 1 way I've killed elk proving it works in certain situations. I would also say that you shouldn't pigeon hole yourself into 1 way of hunting. Another aspect I've personally learned from others and experience is versatility. The more versatile a hunter is, the more opportunities you will create for yourself. Experience teaches us this more than a post on the forums or reading some great books or listening/watching some great podcasts. You have to have the experiences to get a grasp and understand what you may have read or heard or saw on a podcast.