How many Hammock hunters do we have here?

aggieland

WKR
I had the ol' Clark Jungle Hammock last year and loved every nights sleep. Some of you that have never tried a 3 season hammock should before next season.. My friend swore he will not be going back with me next year until he orders one...

I used mine on my Co. elk hunt last year with no problems. I have used it seneral times before on backpacking and canoe trips, but this was my first hunting trip with it. I love sleeping in my hammock, and would hate to go back to the hard ground, but I don't think I would want to use it in real cold weather. I was camped at about 10.5K the opening week of the bow season, so it was only getting down to the low 40's at night. The only change I will make this year is a thicker pad to get a little more insulation. Here is a pick of my set-up.

Attachments

• IMG_0037.jpg
    IMG_0037.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 188

Foldem

WKR
My buddy brought one in for ML season in 2010. He froze his ass off and ended up leaving the first day. We were camped at 11,600' and it was in the 20's the first night, but he didn't have an underquilt. It looked comfy besides the cold part.

Campo

FNG
I used one for a few overnight trips (none of which were hunting) and I found it to be comfy but much colder without the groung insulating and protecting...not for me.

Mudd Foot

WKR
TTT

Made a DIY hammock, and have both a top quilt and 20 degree under quilt from Hammockgear.com. Have slept comfortably down into the 30's with no problems. Both are a necessity, and warmer than a constricting bag, as you aren't compressing the insulation.

unm1136

WKR
I have a Dangerbird Hammock, and HG 20* underquilt. Can't afford a top quilt yet, so I am using a 20* Slumberjack bag. Last year, mid November Deer season the temps averaged about 26 degrees, with some light rain, sleet, and snow. I was comfy. Last morning of the hunt I got to a measured 19 degrees in the valley. I was in long handles, thick wool socks, puffy jacket and beanie. No tarp. I am getting a Megatarp next week, hoping that it can be pressed into service as a hammock tarp. Once I get a Kifaru stove, a Jacks-r-better topquilt with sleeves and hood are next on my list.

Hunting in my home state I have drawn two different areas in three years. I want the megatarp and stove for hunting with the kids, but next year I may draw a unit with mesquite desert, and no trees big enough to hang from. My hammock would work as a bug nest under the tarp, if need be. But, if I draw any of the forrested areas the hammock is my first choice.

pat

kyle1112

WKR
i have a double nest and love it! i just gotta figure out how to keep from having my sleeping pad move inside my bag!

A few of us that hunt together we have carried in at least one hammock this season. We picked up a few "parachute hammocks" on ebay for like like $12 and swapped the roped out that comes with them for some paracord. Its ultra light and very nice to take a nap in and come back to at camp each night. None of us have tried sleeping a night in it yet but we are all curios now.

boom

WKR
maybe i am just not used to it, but they kill my back.

i went with a bunch of rockclimbers. they just stick hardware into the cracks and stretch out a hammock..the curvature kills me. maybe i am just used to laying out flat.

Mudd Foot

WKR
Boom,

Couple of thoughts to consider:

1. The optimal angle of each end is around 30 degrees from tree strap to the gathered end.
2. The angle allows you to lay on the diagonal. This creates/allows for a flat spot that runs from almost my shoulders to my mid-calf. The slight head elevation eliminates my need for head support.
3. My preference is to have my feet slightly (3 inches) higher than my head, so as I'm not sliding down. Simply hang the foot end the requisite amount higher on the tree.
4. My dimensions are 71" and 195 lbs.

My lower back is very susceptible to poor posture, and the hammock eliminates the inevitable backache I get from ground sleeping. Have tried all kinds of sleeping pads, and none really prevented the ache. When performed as per the above, the hammock is about 90% sleeping in a bed. BTW, I am a side sleeper,and the diagonal lay allows for semi-side sleeping. The key to the flat spot is the angle mentioned in no. 1 above.

My first hammock was an ENO Double nest. Very nice hammock. After reading about longer/wider DIY hammocks being more comfortable due to bigger flat spot I bought a table cloth of the same fabric for $20.

Lots of good info on www.tothewoods.net/

Hope this helps,

Mudd Foot

Mudd Foot

WKR
Boom,

Couple of thoughts to consider:

1. The optimal angle of each end is around 30 degrees from tree strap to the gathered end.
2. The angle allows you to lay on the diagonal. This creates/allows for a flat spot that runs from almost my shoulders to my mid-calf. The slight head elevation eliminates my need for head support.
3. My preference is to have my feet slightly (3 inches) higher than my head, so as I'm not sliding down. Simply hang the foot end the requisite amount higher on the tree.
4. My dimensions are 71" and 195 lbs.

My lower back is very susceptible to poor posture, and the hammock eliminates the inevitable backache I get from ground sleeping. Have tried all kinds of sleeping pads, and none really prevented the ache. When performed as per the above, the hammock is about 90% sleeping in a bed. BTW, I am a side sleeper,and the diagonal lay allows for semi-side sleeping. The key to the flat spot is the angle mentioned in no. 1 above.

My first hammock was an ENO Double nest. Very nice hammock. After reading about longer/wider DIY hammocks being more comfortable due to bigger flat spot I bought a table cloth of the same fabric for $20.

Lots of good info on www.tothewoods.net/

Hope this helps,

Mudd Foot

WV Dan

FNG
I'll not get into the techniques required to make a hammock comfortable but go to hammock forums and read away, its all there. That being said a hammock IMHO is far superior in the comfort \versitility category than any other set-up. They definately require more practice to dial in, but once you figure it out you'll never go to ground again. I'm heading out next week for a couple days of back-county bear\deer hunting and trout fishing. Nothing extreme (like above timberline) but all I need are two trees the right distnce apart---no need for level\dry or smooth ground. I have an underquilt but I use a sleeping bag as a top quilt. My hammock is a bridge style and I have a silnylon tarp made for it (again go to hammock forums). I'm totally flat when it's hung right. I don't see ever sleeping on the ground again unless I'm above\ north of the trees or I find myself in a arid treeless area......2 cents.

Higbean

FNG
I love the idea of a hammock, but I could not make it work for me. I bought the best stuff out there and just couldn't fall to sleep. I still have the Warbonnet Superfly because I really like it. The hammock forums are a great resource, but don't rock the boat. It's kinda their religion or something.

WV Dan

FNG
I love the idea of a hammock, but I could not make it work for me. I bought the best stuff out there and just couldn't fall to sleep. I still have the Warbonnet Superfly because I really like it. The hammock forums are a great resource, but don't rock the boat. It's kinda their religion or something.

Hey Higbean ever tried a bridge style hammock? I couldn't make it through an entire night until I stopped using a gathered end. I still like my gathered end for naps but only a couple hours. And you are right about the religion, they won't even use the word tent and the acronyms will drive you crazy. However they really know their stuff when it comes to hammock techniques.

Tiger Rag

WKR
Warbonnet Blackbird for me with Hammock Gear full length 20* incubator under quilt. I use a down sleeping bag for top quilt. Warbonnet Superfly camo for my tarp.

InDeep

WKR
I had and used a Clark's for a season in the cascades for about 29 days total . I ended up getting rid of it but liked it alright . I never did sleep real good .I'm a side sleeper and it made my back sore the first few days . IMO

I stalk the marshes so there is no place for a tent. at night you can hear the stags and hinds walking around,
sometimes they decoy into the hammock.good fun! bridge hammock also.