How many grains at 600yds?

Flyjunky

WKR
Shooting that far is about 3 things really:

1. Knowing your energy and the capabilities of the bullet at that range.
2. Having put in the practice to be able to be accurate. That practice includes dope verification at all the ranges intended
3. Imperceptible wind. Lot's of guys will shoot in "consistent wind"....there is no such thing out west. Especially when (if shooting over 600 yds) you are usually shooting across canyons, etc. At 600 yds a 5 mph difference in wind is alot of drift.

*** I would add I would not take a shot that far alone, a spotter is nice to have. 600 yards is a long ways and being able to confirm the hit (or miss) is critical ***

Having said all that, depending on the caliber, you could get 130 gr bullets to perform at that range and kill well.
I would agree with all that with the caveat that if you can’t spot you own shots at 600+, you need to work on fundamentals.

S.Clancy

WKR
I would agree with all that with the caveat that if you can’t spot you own shots at 600+, you need to work on fundamentals.
I'd agree to a point, with a lightweight rifle it's going to be really tough. I can generally see my hits, but having a spotter is really nice to confirm what I am seeing.

tntrker

WKR
I've always been happy with a 200gr bullet for elk. I use 1500 ftlbs energy at whatever distance as a "prefered" minimum for elk, which is about 600yrds but also know that 1,000 ftlbs, with a well placed shot, will do the trick. So I'm good out to 1,000 yrds, IF the right conditions present themselves, AND I shoot at that range regularly so I know my rifle.

Flyjunky

WKR
I'd agree to a point, with a lightweight rifle it's going to be really tough. I can generally see my hits, but having a spotter is really nice to confirm what I am seeing.
Yeah, I get that. I’d like to have a spotter if possible but sometimes that’s not a reality. Either being able to spot hits yourself or filming the shot are required.

A rifle I’m planning on shooting over 600 is ~9lbs+ for me. I understand guys want a light rifle but that often comes at the price of accuracy and recoil management. For myself I’ve found rifles in the 8.5-10lb range, depending on cartridge, to be the sweet spot for me.

S.Clancy

WKR
Yeah, I get that. I’d like to have a spotter if possible but sometimes that’s not a reality. Either being able to spot hits yourself or filming the shot are required.

A rifle I’m planning on shooting over 600 is ~9lbs+ for me. I understand guys want a light rifle but that often comes at the price of accuracy and recoil management. For myself I’ve found rifles in the 8.5-10lb range, depending on cartridge, to be the sweet spot for me.
Same, my rifle is a couple oz under 10lbs loaded.

Sorry dude, that's not aimed at you specifically. I just really think it's a bad trend. I was just listening to a very well known podcaster the other day recommend to a first time western hunter to be ready to shoot 450 yds, and i see all the time new hunters asking what rifle for 600 yds. I just don't think people appreciate how difficult that is to pull off ethically in hunting situations.
Ethics left the chat years ago

Huntnnw

WKR
unfortunately I see dudes who can pound steel all day long at 1,000 and cant shoot for chit when it actually matters.

OP
R

RLXFXR

FNG
Elk aren't a static target...they can and do move. How confident are you even in identifying a legal animal at that distance? I've talked to multiple folks who are capable of long distance shots, but didn't account for the fact that these are dynamic situations. One guy shot a 7x7 and a 4x3 thinking they were the same animal at 800 yards, another shot two 4x4s thinking they were cows at only 450, and I've heard of several that shot through one animal and into one behind it they didn't see.

It doesn't seem like you even understand the basics of ballistics and long range shooting, but you are worried about a setup that is capable of 600 yard shots.
You’re correct, I’m learning the basics of ballistics. Why is it so hard to understand that I want to buy a capable rifle and learn/grow into it. I’m currently read Cleckner’s book.

cgasner1

WKR
And in most cases, if you draw blood, your hunt is over whether they recover the animal or not. Sounds like these "guides" wouldn't put much effort in the recovering part.

Or they kill a lot of stuff and don’t want any rodeos with lost animals because some idiot shot when he shouldn’t have. If that person is one of those don’t care gotta get them hit kinda people this policy may change that on the hunt. Makes a lot of sense to me it probably made the whole situation a lot better by making that guy take the time to take the proper shot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. In most cases, the guide has no idea on the shooting ability of the hunter. When the hunter arrives in camp, a few shots might be taken to "confirm zero", but that is usually at 100 yards, from a bench with sandbags. If the shot is close to the bull, then the guide says "good enough". Fast forward to a day or two later, an animal is spotted several hundred yards away, moving and the hunter is trying to catch his breath after increasing his elevation 1000 feet, adrenaline racing, and the guide is saying "shoot-shoot!!" like it's a cape buffalo charging from 10 yards away. If he's lucky he is able to make an ethical kill-shot, or if he is unlucky gut shoots, or hits the elk in the hindquarter.