How many grains at 600yds?

RLXFXR

FNG
Forgive my ignorance as ballistics is like Korean to me. What’s the lowest grain load you’d send at 600yds with a 300WM?

If you have to ask this question, you're asking the wrong question.
Forget the shortcuts. Buy a 223 and a crate of ammo. Learn to shoot first, then decide how you want to set up an LR hunting rifle.
For what it's worth, shooting less than a 205 grain bullet out of a 30 cal magnum is a bit silly. 215 hybrid is a proven choice.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

EJFS

Lil-Rokslider
If you have to ask, you shouldn't be shooting 600 yds at an animal. Very very few people should. People really gotta stop throwing these kind of distances out there, it gives the impression to new shooters and hunters that 4-600 yard shots are normal and expected.

OP
R

RLXFXR

FNG
If you have to ask, you shouldn't be shooting 600 yds at an animal. Very very few people should. People really gotta stop throwing these kind of distances out there, it gives the impression to new shooters and hunters that 4-600 yard shots are normal and expected.
Define lowest grain? Bullet weight or grains of powder?
Bullet weight

OP
R

RLXFXR

FNG
You assume I’m going to just run right out and look for a bull at 600 yards to shoot. Is there anything wrong with setting up a rifle and growing into it? I didn’t realize this forum was only for experts.

EJFS

Lil-Rokslider
You assume I’m going to just run right out and look for a bull at 600 yards to shoot. Is there anything wrong with setting up a rifle and growing into it? I didn’t realize this forum was only for experts.
Sorry dude, that's not aimed at you specifically. I just really think it's a bad trend. I was just listening to a very well known podcaster the other day recommend to a first time western hunter to be ready to shoot 450 yds, and i see all the time new hunters asking what rifle for 600 yds. I just don't think people appreciate how difficult that is to pull off ethically in hunting situations.

It’s not a matter of bullet weight. What you need to look for is any bullets minimum expansion velocity. Then with the bullets bc and muzzle velocity you can use a ballistics calculator to find at what range it drops below that minimum velocity.

OP
R

RLXFXR

FNG
Forget the shortcuts. Buy a 223 and a crate of ammo. Learn to shoot first, then decide how you want to set up an LR hunting rifle.
For what it's worth, shooting less than a 205 grain bullet out of a 30 cal magnum is a bit silly. 215 hybrid is a proven choice.

For what it’s worth, I’ve already done the .223 Rem 700 w/ the vortex scope and learned to shoot. I’m currently setting up a LR rifle that i can grow in to (Bergara Wilderness Ridge w/ Leupold VX-5 scope). I ask the question because I plan to order the custom CDS dial in a bullet weight that will work for both Muleys and elk.

OP
R

RLXFXR

FNG
It’s not a matter of bullet weight. What you need to look for is any bullets minimum expansion velocity. Then with the bullets bc and muzzle velocity you can use a ballistics calculator to find at what range it drops below that minimum velocity.
Perfect, thank you!

I ask the question because I plan to order the custom CDS dial in a bullet weight that will work for both Muleys and elk.
I don't mean to be rude, but this is the exact wrong way to go about it. Keep your money in your pocket, keep researching and in the mean time try to wear out the 223 at 600 yards.

We're coming across pretty blunt but we're trying to help you, you're currently headed in the wrong direction.

Iowafarmer

Lil-Rokslider
Well I just returned from a New Mexico trip with Gila Apache outfitters they expect us to make 600-800yd shots I was scoffed at for saying I was confident at 400yds

I’m just going to say elk are a really big target. Like really really big. With todays tech it’s not that much of a feat to shoot a bull at 600 in decent conditions.

Find a bullet that shoots well and practice.

davsco

WKR
i'd look for ammo identified as big game/elk in the 180 - 215g range.

but do yourself a favor and don't just go off the box's ballistics, or even a ballistics program, or a cds label etc. actually shoot your rifle with your ammo out to distances you might encounter and see where you are actually hitting. there's a variety of reasons why actual might not equal your program. the other benefit is you can see group sizes and how far you can group good enough to hit an elk at various distances, keeping in mind that prone or benched at the range might be way steadier than off your pack or a tree in the mountains.

also keep in mind that your cds label or ballistics where you live might be somewhat different than the ballistics at 8 or 10k feet.

hiker270

WKR
With a 300 mag any of the quality 180-200 grain ammunition will do the job. Bullet construction is a factor at different yardages. Some bullets like Barnes require higher velocity's to expand so they recommend approx. 2000 fps for best expansion. Hornady ELD-X bullets expand quickly and some experts claim come apart at close range and high velocities. Your rifle will tell you what ammo it prefers. You are the one that decides what yardage you can make an ethical shot on an animal. Guess you figured out that when you post something here on Rocslide its about a 50/50 proposition that some guys will try and help and some will jump down your throat.

I look at it from a ethical shot placement and kinetic energy side. How far can you put said weapon into a vital shot every time? And can that load have enough Ke to knock down an elk sized game (approx 1500 ft lbs is highly recommended most places you look).

So working forward or backward, thats the formula you need to come up with. How everyone shoots a different rifle is totally dependent on them.

For what it’s worth, I’ve already done the .223 Rem 700 w/ the vortex scope and learned to shoot. I’m currently setting up a LR rifle that i can grow in to (Bergara Wilderness Ridge w/ Leupold VX-5 scope). I ask the question because I plan to order the custom CDS dial in a bullet weight that will work for both Muleys and elk.
My suggestion with that would extend to matching the 223 to whatever you end up big game hunting with (the 223 can do that too). Learn to shoot the 223 to 1k, and the proper optical system and caliber will be easy to pick from what you learn from the 223.
My genuine, heartfelt advice is once again, don't cut corners and press the easy button. It doesn't hurt me one bit if you waste your time and money on a VX-5 with a CDS turret. But it's likely to be a very disappointing option.
The best way forward to competence: Buy a proven, reliable scope to dial with. Put it on the 223 and shoot several hundred rounds (minimum) through it from 500-1k . Take what you learn from that and apply it to your 300. The grain weight of the bullet and a CDS turret will soon be the least of your concerns.

leachguy

FNG
I moved to Montana, from MN, 11 years ago and this is exactly what I was told. I got into my first herd of cows and posted up at 500 yards. I hadn't ever shot past 200 yards, but I was comfortable with my gun and new what my drops should be. Thank goodness I was right. Looking back at it, it was not an ethical shot for me at the time, but I connected. I now know my comfort level and would rather wait or work to get into my comfortable range. 400 is now my max distance, and closer is always better.