How many game bags for Caribou?

Depends on the unit you’re hunting. If you can debone or you have to pack out quarters. If you can debone 3 bags will work just fine. Packing quarters you’ll want 4 for sure with an extra bag for back straps and everythingQuarters are bigger than a mature mule deer on a mature caribou bull.

OP
Weber

Weber

FNG
Unit 15. Thank you.

We can bone out there, but I'm concerned about spoilage, were there 5 days. If one assumed I get something day 3, 60 degree weather, a lot of rain, safe to bone out?

Last edited:

ppwack02

Lil-Rokslider
I have not used the large game bags, but I have Kuiu medium's I use on goat hunts. The quarters from a mountain goat fill the medium up(not deboned). You might be able get a front quarter in the medium. I would get Large bags for the hind quarters for sure. I found Kuiu's chart to be pretty accurate for my goat hunt.

Are you getting dropped off by boat? If so , they should come in a pick up your meat and everything. Other than that just make sure your meat gets plenty of air and doesn’t get wet

OP
Weber

Weber

FNG
Plane. They are but I will likely have some number of days (up to 5) that I'll be there before they come to pick us up. There are no trees (well above the tree line), so we're likely making a meet rack out of large rocks and wrapping a tarp oover. Not the most breathable, but all we can really do to keep it dry. Will probably use a trekking pole to prop up the tarp a bit.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
we use 5 for caribou (24X44") and it's helpful to take one extra smaller 14x20" or so for BS and TL

I take two sets per animal to rotate clean for dirties every 2nd or 3rd meat care day. Most synthetic bag material washes clean in the field with simple cold water.

OP
Weber

Weber

FNG
Interesting, havent considered that. Don't think I can spare the weight for another set of bags

I think We'll debone in field while keeping the knee intact so it'll retain surface area. Just to help cool meet and reduce weight.

I'll bring some citric acid spray to slow bacteria growth, then a bag for each quarter, 2L boned out bags for trimmings, heart, and such. Its supposed to be 60 degrees during the day with a low of 50 and rain all day every day so will just have to do what we can to keep it dry.

Thanks y'all.

BowMan86

FNG
I feel that 4 large game bags will suffice. Use one for each quarter and there will be enough room in the front quarter bags for the extra meat. Just make sure that you cool the meat individually prior to placing the extra meat in with the front quarters. As long as the bugs arnt too bad you can just hang the backstraps, tenderloins, neck meat etc… on some branches until cool (doesn’t take too long) and then place in with from shoulders. I have never had any issues doing it this way.

All good info. I would not have bought enough bags for my upcoming Caribou fly-in. I never found that chart on KUIU’s site.

Brent

Lil-Rokslider
You can fit a whole caribou in a 4 large bag set, but depending on where you're hunting, you may have to legally keep the meat on the bone, including ribs. For this situation, I like a couple extra bags for additional space and organization.

For caribou, I prefer to take four large (Elk) bags for quarters, one medium (mule deer) for rib racks and parts, and one small for loins and tenderloins.

Last edited:

AKBorn

WKR
Climate and other conditions (trees, no trees, etc.) make it tough to have a one size fits all answer, but lots of good info above. If the plane isn't coming until Day 5 (or Day 6 of being in the field), it would be nice if you could leave the quarters on the bone until the morning you are flying out, then debone just before the plane arrives. I use a lot of bags, because I try to keep the smaller pieces (backstraps, heart, tongue, etc.) from touching each other within a bag. If you have cooler or freezer space available as soon as you fly back to civilization, that would be a big help.