How many days a year do you hunt elk?

How many days do you hunt elk during the season?

• 5-7

• 8-10

• 11-14

• 15-21

• 22+

Results are only viewable after voting.
OP
cnelk

cnelk

WKR
Would that be a separate license for each 2 week season? For example, 9/1-9/14 and 9/15-9/30. What are they trying to achieve with the potential change?

Its in the BGSS - https://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/C...E_2020-24_PUBLIC_INVOLVEMENT_REPORT_FINAL.pdf

Possible Changes: Both focus groups supported changing the start date of the archery season to September 1 and maintaining a 30-day season. In Grand Junction, participants strongly supported creating a youth-only mentored archery hunt five days before the start of the main archery season. Both groups discussed separating archery and muzzleloader. There was some support for this change; however, after discussion, participants generally agreed that archers should be able to self-select to avoid hunting during the muzzleloader season or to wear fluorescent orange/ pink if they have safety concerns. This would also allow mixed hunting groups (those with both muzzleloader and archery hunters) to continue hunting together. When asked about management options, two proposals were popular with both groups. Those were: 1) Limiting all archery elk licenses statewide. 2) Splitting archery into two separate seasons. There were several variations of this proposal that garnered support. Those were: a. Make a first archery season for deer and elk with a second season just for elk. b. Make a first archery elk season that is over-the-counter for bulls only and a second archery elk season that is limited/either-sex. c. Make a first archery elk season that is over-the-counter and a second archery elk season that is over-the-counter with caps.

Thank you. That would be a major change and it looks as if the consensus is to change in some way. Thanks for the info and I look forward to seeing what happens
Its in the BGSS - https://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/C...E_2020-24_PUBLIC_INVOLVEMENT_REPORT_FINAL.pdf

Possible Changes: Both focus groups supported changing the start date of the archery season to September 1 and maintaining a 30-day season. In Grand Junction, participants strongly supported creating a youth-only mentored archery hunt five days before the start of the main archery season. Both groups discussed separating archery and muzzleloader. There was some support for this change; however, after discussion, participants generally agreed that archers should be able to self-select to avoid hunting during the muzzleloader season or to wear fluorescent orange/ pink if they have safety concerns. This would also allow mixed hunting groups (those with both muzzleloader and archery hunters) to continue hunting together. When asked about management options, two proposals were popular with both groups. Those were: 1) Limiting all archery elk licenses statewide. 2) Splitting archery into two separate seasons. There were several variations of this proposal that garnered support. Those were: a. Make a first archery season for deer and elk with a second season just for elk. b. Make a first archery elk season that is over-the-counter for bulls only and a second archery elk season that is limited/either-sex. c. Make a first archery elk season that is over-the-counter and a second archery elk season that is over-the-counter with caps.

nphunter

WKR
The season starts the last week of August, I start hunting opening day and hunt almost every day until the season is over. If I fill my tag I call for my buddies, I took 19 straight days off last season but killed my bull the weekend before my vacation started. After that deer season and then I help rifle elk for my buddies and then late season cow tags for my wife and kids. I would say I get to spend close to 45 days a year elk hunting and countless evenings after work glassing and checking trail cameras in the summer.

I am lucky to have a wife who understands how much i enjoy it, she is a long distance runner so I let her spend as much time running as she needs to. I go to all of her races with her during the spring and early summer and we normally do a family race with our kids. I try to take my kids with me scouting as much as possible to give my wife a break. We also do a couple of backpacking camping trips a year and those double as elk scouting. My oldest will be archery elk hunting for the first time this fall and my wife will have an archery tag as well so even more reason to get out.

We also shed hunt as a family in the spring which is awesome as well!

WVelkhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I'm in with the not enough option, but I do go on at least 2-3 hunts per week in my sleep. Is it normal to wake up in the middle of the night exhausted and out of breath because you were dreaming you were hiking up a mountain???

njdoxie

WKR
I hunt all 9 days of CO 2nd rifle and then 2 days of travel on either side. If I kill a bull early then I stay and scout, I never leave early. And when it’s done, I’m burnt out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tdhanses

WKR
Interesting take on splitting archery into 2 2 week seasons. Not sure if I’m for or against this as there are pros and cons each way.

Really wonder which of the 2 seasons would get more participation/pressure. Early would have Labor Day but later would be in the rut.

Interesting take on splitting archery into 2 2 week seasons. Not sure if I’m for or against this as there are pros and cons each way.

Really wonder which of the 2 seasons would get more participation/pressure. Early would have Labor Day but later would be in the rut.
Exactly where I am. Pros and cons for each. Also throw in that one season would be deer/elk and one would be elk only.

This will be a big change for people who can only hunt specific dates within September. If you can’t take off time and fully fit your hunt into one of the two week seasons, that might change CO drastically. Everybody that I know who doesn’t draw a specific tag relies on CO as a backup plan, probably not as much with this system

tdhanses

WKR
Exactly where I am. Pros and cons for each. Also throw in that one season would be deer/elk and one would be elk only.

This will be a big change for people who can only hunt specific dates within September. If you can’t take off time and fully fit your hunt into one of the two week seasons, that might change CO drastically. Everybody that I know who doesn’t draw a specific tag relies on CO as a backup plan, probably not as much with this system

What will suck now that I think of it is when I want to hunt the middle two weeks of season, this would take that away for those that hunt 2 weeks a year.

What will suck now that I think of it is when I want to hunt the middle two weeks of season, this would take that away for those that hunt 2 weeks a year.
Exactly. Probably why they think it will help limit the overcrowding

gerardoxg

FNG
I come from out of state and usually get about 5-6 days of hunting. Usually about 3-4 days for travel, set up and breakdown. 10 days is as much as I’ll ask my wife to give me :)

New to Rokslide (first post)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zpotter

FNG
Unfortunately living in a state without elk limits opportunity. Ive got a 10-14 day trip planned for this year though.

Rmhely

FNG
Work dictates 5-7, but sometimes the elk limit it to 1-2, depending on how well I've scouted :)

Bear_b23

FNG
Unfortunately, probably my one and only time hunting elk. Florida fng headed to CO for 3rd season for a 5 day hunt.