How long would you wait on a new rifle?

I’ll add one more point or hypothetical. It’s important to you that you deal with your friendly, likely more local, and trustworthy dealer or gunsmith and you want to support their small business. You believe that you have built a good customer relationship with them, and even though you know you could get it faster elsewhere you’re going to stick with them.
100%

There are 2 places that get all of my business.. I would wait an extra couple months to spend my money with them… I have built a relationship with both over the years, both have had to go out of their way to help, didn’t expect it from either, but they do that to keep your business and I pay attention to that stuff…. Business with integrity aren’t very common so I try to show my appreciation by giving them all of my business and sending them as much business as I can.

I have the same with a bow shop… try to buy anything I can from them even if I have to wait or it’s not my cheapest option, they try to have good prices and do, but some things obviously can be found cheaper online… if we don’t support them, they go away, and that shop has been awesome since my first trip there

To your original point, I don’t know how long I would wait, but as long as it takes if it’s worth the wait.. right now waiting on my magnesium chassis from xlr I ordered December 15… sucks waiting, but sometimes good stuff takes time… I would rather have it be instant, but that’s not how life works

KHNC

WKR
Waited 8 months for an Alexander Arms .17HMR upper for AR platform a few years ago. It is very nice and only company making this as far as I know. Waited 3-4 months for my XLR aluminum Chassis recently for a 7-08 build. WOuld have been quite a bit longer had I ordered the super light version. My CA Carbon Classsic, I went to the dealer and bought it the day I decided I wanted it. I hate waiting, but everyone thinks its normal nowadays.

Dented

WKR
I'll have 10 months invested in wait time for a Freedom Arms revolver. I have no issue with that, I know they're backed up but I'd rather they take the time to do the job properly than rush it half assed out the door. I waited about a year for a small production Italian shotgun. I'm fine with the wait. Sometimes the anticipation is half the fun.

gbflyer

WKR
Bighorn Origin action is slightly overdue. Hart Barrel 8 - 12 weeks
McMillan Hunters Edge 12 weeks
Manson reamer 8 weeks unless it’s SAAMI and in stock.
A weekend of my time behind the lathe (I’m slow and not a pro) depending on time of year and other crisis’ that arise.

Netherman

WKR
Ya, but if you don't need it right now, then what's the big deal? I'm still waiting for my 2020 ram back from the taxidermist. I know he had a ton of bulls come in that year before my ram, so I expected to wait longer anyway. I'm sure there are taxidermists that could have gotten it done sooner, but this has been my "go to" guy. No big deal to wait my place in line........as long as I don't have to actually sit or stand in that line.
This ^^^.

I don't need another rifle (hopefully my wife doesn't read this) to go hunting. If I can't find a way to get EXCATLY what I want sooner I will wait and will not compromise for a shorter turn around time. If it was preventing me from hunting my willingness to wait would be drastically shorter.

eoperator

WKR
I have 3 custom rifles all built by different "smiths" all went GROSSLY over estimated completion date, 2 of them needed to be worked on to even function.
I did the work on the last 2 myself in a fraction of the time with equal results to "professional" builds. Buy an action that will accept prefit barrels (or barrel nut) and a few tools and your rifle will be completed much faster. The first one will not save you a ton of money due to the cost of tools and supplies but cost savings will be significant on the next.

tmater

FNG
I have never had a custom gun built, but I think my local smith is about 4-5 weeks out. That would be about my tolerance I believe.

Sgtusmc14

Lil-Rokslider
I have never had a custom gun built, but I think my local smith is about 4-5 weeks out. That would be about my tolerance I believe.
lead time for most stocks 8 months. unless he is only building rifles that are (semi) custom I dont see how that is possible.

Decker9

WKR
I’m a sucker for punishment. My first custom took 20 months from ordered parts to finished rifle. I took it on one quick hunt, then stripped it down for walnut… which I’m still working on.

Another custom it waiting at the smith, im 25 months in since ordering my parts, and will also go into walnut soon as it gets here.

I have lots of patience lol 😂

OP
Go West Old Man
I’m a sucker for punishment. My first custom took 20 months from ordered parts to finished rifle. I took it on one quick hunt, then stripped it down for walnut… which I’m still working on.

Another custom it waiting at the smith, im 25 months in since ordering my parts, and will also go into walnut soon as it gets here.

I have lots of patience lol 😂
Man that’s self abuse! 20 months, maybe. 25 months, hmmm? Wow! My premise for posting this originally was that I’m generally willing and currently am waiting on a semi-custom rifle that I want, with almost one year since committing. Decker9, you just introduced a whole new infinity horizon on patience and waiting.😁 If I hit 20-25 months then I might have to “cry uncle” and go spend that fun money elsewhere.

I'll have 10 months invested in wait time for a Freedom Arms revolver. I have no issue with that, I know they're backed up but I'd rather they take the time to do the job properly than rush it half assed out the door. I waited about a year for a small production Italian shotgun. I'm fine with the wait. Sometimes the anticipation is half the fun.
What cartridge did you order on your FA? I have always wanted one in 454 casull

Ya, but if you don't need it right now, then what's the big deal? I'm still waiting for my 2020 ram back from the taxidermist. I know he had a ton of bulls come in that year before my ram, so I expected to wait longer anyway. I'm sure there are taxidermists that could have gotten it done sooner, but this has been my "go to" guy. No big deal to wait my place in line........as long as I don't have to actually sit or stand in that line.
It’s the instant gratification era, we shouldn’t have to wait!!

Haha.. I kid, I kid

Agree with your sentiments, even if I feel like I do need it, I fully understand life doesn’t work like that…

If people haven’t learned patience in the past couple years, they never will… nothing seems to happen fast anymore.

I’m a patient person, dumb drivers are my nemesis there, and it seems like that population is always growing… right now I’m driving about 15-22hrs a week as my commute to work 4 10’s, so dumbass drivers are fresh on my mind, haha

Besides that, waiting is fine, like you said, if you don’t physically have to wait, it’s not a huge deal

OP
Go West Old Man
The Wednesday before Memorial Day 2021 I told the owner of a gun shop 4 hours south of where I live that I’d commit to a semi-custom 6.5-284 he said he had on order/back-order. No deposit & no guarantees of when I’d see it. He cautioned me that it would be at least a year , but I said “OK, put my name on it”and the waiting began.

Well gentlemen, the wait is over! A little over a year of patiently waiting. The rifle showed up at the gun shop about 10 days ago, & I drove round trip this past week to go get it. I’m pleased with what I see/have so far. Now the fun of selecting a new scope, mounting it, getting it zero’d in, & working up a good load begins. 👍

2buffalo

Lil-Rokslider
Depends. Custom high end wood stock I would be willing to wait 12-18 months. Carbon fiber with 700 clone 90 days if I were supplying the parts or they had then on hand.

Rknight

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been waiting 7mo on a stock that 3months ago I was told “is at the finishers”. I’m in no rush since what I have now works but it’s just heavy and I want new.

Slowly trying to accumulate parts for a build and not even counting the time of getting components together because I know the lead time at the smith I’ll use is crazy long but they’re the best around and happy to support a quality local shop