How long have you been at your current job?

JohnDough

FNG
Couldn’t see or read the article in the link. Said it was originally from 2014 but wasn’t able to see it.

15% from your situation I wouldn’t argue with or find hard to believe at all, but 50% I struggle with.

What industry/job function?

Just to reiterate, I only have my own anecdotal experience to go off of and what I can assume is varied significantly based on industry.

How do you get momentum and trust with clients, both external and internal, if you’re always starting over?

Don’t get me wrong, I completely agree jumping sometimes is what it takes to get the bump, but every two years seems counterproductive to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I work in the medical field. Your job experience and resume are your leverage tools. And jumping jobs every 18mo for best results. Even our CEOs only average 12-18mo in role before moving.

Banned User

FNG
Classified Approved
15 years so far. Staying in the military in a reserve capacity helps because training/deployments are great for breaking up your career so your civilian job doesn’t get monotonous.

Wolfshead

Lil-Rokslider
I am just worried about it in the sense that I hope my mental health doesn't decline further. People think that's stupid, but I tell them regarding overtime, once you become angry and fed up, and stop pulling OT, you think the hatred will get better, the anger, anxiety, depression, but it doesn't. It actually gets worse for a while. I am worried that retiring will be like this, too, just magnified. I dunno, we'll see someday, maybe.
I completely understand what you’re saying in this post, and it’s a legitimate concern.
I find that the more I’m on social media, and the current “opinion” stations, the more my mental health is affected.
I also find that I have more time in the wild, and that affects me in a very positive way, and being retired gives me that opportunity.
You have an awareness of your personal well being, so I think that given an adjustment period you’ll be fine.

JohnDough

FNG
I completely understand what you’re saying in this post, and it’s a legitimate concern.
I find that the more I’m on social media, and the current “opinion” stations, the more my mental health is affected.
I also find that I have more time in the wild, and that affects me in a very positive way, and being retired gives me that opportunity.
You have an awareness of your personal well being, so I think that given an adjustment period you’ll be fine.
Thing is this, you hate something, but you gut it out to pay the bills and support your passions...but then you need less of it or none of it, so you are removed from it...you should get better...but you don't. Because your hatred intensifies as you begin to understand just how bad it was, now that you're not buried to your nose in the situation. Think of it like a toxic ex once you meet someone who isn't. That is my concern. Ive got friends and coworkers like that. They don't commit violent acts or try to kill themselves, etc when working OT. They do it when they have cut hours back. They/we get far angrier, too, even though we aren't working as much. I maintain balance via strength training, crossfit, and until recently rolling jujitsu. It has many benefits including professional of course, and all that helps keep you sane-ish.

It doesn't surprise me that moving jobs but staying in the same field can equate to an increase in pay of up to 50%. A coworker of mine at my first job is still working at the same company, I have since moved twice in the last 4 years and with those moves, I now make 33% more than he does. He is in a holding pattern waiting for an upper management job that still won't pay him to my level. Moving does pay! You do have to be careful of moving too often though.

Mish-pop

Lil-Rokslider
I've been at my current job for 3 years. I have a great work/life balance and I work for a CEO and other supervisors who will not ask you to perform any task that they will not perform themselves. Having a job where I am valued and have superiors that lead by example is such a great feeling. I could strike out on my own and make more money but I'm not to keen on the round the clock worries and responsibilities of running a business. At this time I have no plans of going anywhere

hikenhunt

WKR
17 years with the same company for me, right out of college. Based on what I'm reading gives me further confirmation that I'm sticking with them. Great pay and benefits, good time off, and supervisors and HR that genuinely care about their employees. There is no way I could make 50% more by switching it up, maybe 5-10%, but the risk of a worse boss, coworkers, working environment, and/or benefits isn't worth it.

Mojave

WKR
We need some kind of retirement reform where you take your retirement with you. This is what Australia and Germany have.

JohnDough

FNG
We need some kind of retirement reform where you take your retirement with you. This is what Australia and Germany have.
What do you mean "take your retirement with you"? You quite working as soon as you've saved up enough to coast into the grave. Be that at age 25, or 85.

JohnDough

FNG
Been here a year and a half - I think its probably about finding the right place with the right culture.
That sounds good and all, but cultures are constantly evolving. A wonderful place turns to shit real fast. The reverse can happen, too. It's often cyclical. In my industry, we have a 5-7 year cycle where facilities will go from horrifying to work at to amazing, and gradually back again, every 5-7.

Hopapa

FNG
That sounds good and all, but cultures are constantly evolving. A wonderful place turns to shit real fast. The reverse can happen, too. It's often cyclical. In my industry, we have a 5-7 year cycle where facilities will go from horrifying to work at to amazing, and gradually back again, every 5-7.
I'm pretty young still so I probably just haven't seen it yet, I can definitely imagine cultures going in the wrong direction too.