How long have you been at your current job?

9 fire seasons going on 10 with the Forest Circus for anywhere from 5-9 months out of the year. I have changed locations 5 times now though. 4 different forests to see Places I was interested in. That’s the job with the benefits.

Look for side jobs in the winter. Found a good one this winter where I can work however much I want. Currently doing 60 hour weeks and get a workout in moving up to 10,000 pounds of freight with my body onto pallets and shelves for the next days flights and averaging anywhere from 15,000-30,000 steps a day. Keeps me in pretty good shape!

Going to try to work in the south next winter burning or doing forestry related stuff. Need to be in warm weather for a winter.

dennyking

FNG
I seem to get “Frustrated “ after about 3 years and start getting ready to move jobs… I feel like unfortunately talking with classmates that is the norm now to bounce from A to B to Z… there’s no real chance to advance within a workplace unless you swap jobs / companies completely.

On one hand I’m jealous of my dad and Buddy’s dads that have worked for the same companies for 30+ years… I feel there has to be some reward in there somewhere … but on the other hand I feel like they wasted that time in not owning their own businesses.. . Helping someone else reap the benefits of their work ..

Im torn as recent (within the past 36 hours recent) turn of events at work. Have really made me question why I’m not figuring out a way to go in business for myself .
Even before events unfolded.. I have been questioning how much longer I see myself at my current job. My girlfriend even notices a change in my demeanor about 12 hours before my shifts start.. and I’m thinking recent events are a sign it’s time for me to leave
A yr and a half at my current job, was at my previous job for almost 21 before the 3rd generation started screwing everything up.

7 years going on 8 with my current company, last one would have been a lifetime career if I could have transferred

MattB

WKR
I retired in June after working 25 years for the same financial institution (national bank). I finally hit the point of "F it" and left in June due to the increasingly burdensome regulatory and compliance environment.

Had I moved companies during my career I probably could have made more money (banks typically pay a premium to hire away good people from competitors), but in my role I got to the point in the last ~10 years of my career where I was able to monetize the experience I had at the institution. Had I moved around, I would have largely had to start ground up. As a result of staying with one company, I was able to work with some really interesting clients that I may otherwise not have been able to had a bounced around.

One of the things that ultimately drove me to retire was something you noted - that my demeanor in my home life was subtly different/negative due to the dissatisfaction I had with my job,

As my dad always said "there are two kinds of people, those who eat well and those who sleep well". I like my sleep...

Good luck.

10.5 yrs. Going on 2 months at the new assignment with about 16 mo left. 9 years to "retirement" and then I can start my next gig. Haven't decided if it'll be a NAVFAC crane operator, monster truck driver, or rumrunner.
I vote for rumrunner or hunting guide.

Wapiti1

WKR
20 years. Will be there 10 more. Really a good place to work even if it is in Indiana (I'm from Montana, good lord it's flat here).

Jeremy

Rich M

WKR
I see my dad who worked at job for 33 or 34 years and retired at 55 w golden handshake.

Wifes father had more education but bounced around. Worked til he was about 80 cause no savings, pension, or 401k.

I always tried to stay where i was. 1-5-8 years. Then tried self employment and never worked so hard. That last about 5 yrs til 2008 recession killed it.

At current job 7 yrs, partner. Worked here 8 yrs before when tried self business due to glass ceiling. Funny how the few things i remember saying are coming true. Still working my ass off, just getting paid better now.

If you cant work a year or two at one place, better be banking a lot of that payroll.

As an owner, time vested is important as is doing your job well. Make my life easier and you get more bonuses and raises. Cause me strife and you get less. Easy peasy to understand.

Last edited:

Dead eye BT

Lil-Rokslider
25 years with the same employer, in the first job I ever applied for after graduating college. I will say something for those feeling the pinch of not enough pay raises or promotional opportunities:

About 4 years ago, I was feeling underpaid, overworked and under appreciated. I applied for a similar position with another employer. I was offered that job at the end of the interview, including about a 35% pay raise and no loss of PTO. The problem was, the new job would have required moving 350 miles, causing my wife to find a new job, pulling the kids out of familiar surroundings and relocating to a slightly less desirable area. I quickly realized it wasn’t going to happen.

So, before I turned the job down, I told my boss about the job offer. He almost shit his pants! He didn’t know what he would do without me. I ended up getting a 40% raise in short order. Since then, I’ve been receiving substantial raises on a regular basis. Applying for that other job and telling my boss I was really considering taking it, was the best financial move I’ve ever made.

Rich M

WKR
We often issue raises to keep up w comparable rates and annually check the top 25% salary rates. It is diff for dome employers to track the salaries but you have to if you want to keep star players.

Sixgunz

FNG
20 years. I retired 5 months ago (I am young, but the job nearly killed me). I have a full pension and am taking a year off. My wife makes great money and we are now on her insurance. Never trade happiness and an intact family for money -it is not worth it.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
In the career about 16 years but at the current spot, 6 years. My job is easy as hell and I get tons of time off. Plus, my wife works in the medical field so I’m set.

8 years of being self employed, operating a home service business.

After 10 years of commercial fishing, I needed a change. I thought I was free, fishing 6 months of the year. But, I was not. Income was never enough to really make something of my life. Dirtbagged and ski bummed. I needed something that offered a more balanced life, increase financial security and that would better suit married life.

Best decision of my life to go self employed. It has forced me to be way more disciplined, which is the way to true freedom.
My wife and I work together, no employees. We work about 6 months of the year, own a house, net into 6 figures, hunt sheep for a month every fall and have adventures all winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brif

FNG
I am going on 12yrs at my current job, 13 at my last. We were bought out by a competitor 3yrs ago and it’s been a down hill slide ever since.

I don’t hate my job or the people I work with, but as I am nearing 50, the 12.5hr days are getting long. Since they struggle to hire new people, we are doing 7 in a row one week and 4 the next. Many are hitting the burnout stage right now. Myself included. Come spring; I hope to move on..

CHWine

Lil-Rokslider
Just finished my 43rd wine grape harvest and I'm hanging up my shears. 31 years with one vineyard and now 12 in my current position. So many things to like about this biz....but California has run me out. Too many regs with water use, labor regs, pesticide training etc. Also the anxiety and pressure of working 50+ days straight during harvest has taken it's toll. I've never been about to hunt much of Sept/Oct for 40+ years. Moving to Show Low AZ in April. I might get some part time work if I get bored.

milje

FNG
Going on 14 years. Started here right out of college running CNC machines, and for the last 7 years I’ve been an engineer. Really good hunting and fishing culture at work, I generally like what I do, and get paid well (especially for the area). Now that I’ve been here for a while I get enough vacation time to take a few weeks off in the fall to go chase critters.