How long have you been at your current job?

COwineguy

Lil-Rokslider
Been at the company for 10 years. First 3 I worked for the founders then bought it and have owned it for 7. I jumped around a bit at first and then realized I worked every job like I was the owner. Never left it at work, always wanting to push for success. Finally decided if I was going to work (stress) like I owned it then i may as well. First 5 years were rough. Lots of hours (my kids still ask me if they will see me tomorrow every night) Last couple years have been better as I learned to find a good team and take care of them. I finally realized success could also mean time and not just money. It helped a lot. I think either way you go can work as long as you are self aware of what you want and what your strengths and weaknesses are. Good luck. Cheers

10.5 years but moving on January 10th.
Really loved everything about it except the financial struggle of raising a family.
Hopefully the new gig will be somewhat similar at least.

hobbes

WKR
I've jumped around some but will probably stay where I'm at now. I lasted almost 2 years at my first job out of college, almost 10 at my second, and a hair over 5 at my third. I've been at this current job (4th since college) a hair over 10 years. I think I'll finish my career here.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
31.5 ……26 months left…..counting down every month….should have taken the buyout last yr but did not want the mrs to carry any extra burden……work the necessary evil….good luck🤙

CorbLand

WKR
4 years. 2.5 years in an entry level position and then took a promotion 1.5 years ago. I like what I do, the place I work for and the people I work with but my wife and I are looking for a change.

I applied for a job last week that would have been a small step back. It is an entry level position but would have taken back to where I grew up. Called today and found out my application was rejected because my degree is in finance, not public finance and 4 years of experience doing the exact same job as I applied for doesn’t make up for the “wrong” degree.

OP, I feel your pain.

30 years in the carpenters union next month... 27years 3 months with the same company which is almost unheard of around here... started as an apprentice, to foreman to super to PM... job can be a bitch but shouldn't complain working for good people making good money and will retire in 5 years...

If you want a change in job assignments every 2-3 years you could always join the military. I start getting antsy and ready for a change around every 18 months when I start looking ahead to the next job. This is something I’m wondering if it will carryover once I retire and transition to a civilian career or if I am just wired to seek new occupational learning experiences. Time will tell I suppose.

Last edited:

hodgeman

WKR
Current gig is 3, I made 16 on the last one. Hopefully retire in 10 with a transition to consulting somewhere along the way.

If you're really feeling it's time to move on, don't ignore that signal. I should have left my last one 3 years or so before I did. My spider sense was tingling and all the alarms bells were going off but I thought I could tough it out.

That was stupid.

TheGDog

WKR
From 1992-to-Present (except for a 3yr period with another company briefly). So 26yrs.

I'd came back to work for them in '01... so when we got bought by a bigger corporate entity, they now unfortunately only list me as 20 yrs of service in their HR, when it's actually 26. Just not contiguously.

In coding... there's always something different that comes along eventually to challenge you mentally from time-to-time. And it just seems like naturally they'd always give me the tough nuts to crack. So it certainly wasn't boring. Frustrating certainly at times, but not boring.

And also we were constantly adding more and more features to the software constantly to be giving them more reasons to continue their service contracts which get the included updates to the software.

Or then like some new Big-Fish law firm client wanted to buy the system, but they'd only do it contingent upon some whole new functionality or additional new part of the system, or interface with some other product they also use in their offices, be added in for them. And since these damn Sales-Dogs are constantly pressured all the time, they become big ol "Yes! men" making promises of features that don't even exist in there yet... so then WE get pressured from the top to now have to frantically sometimes have work-in this whole 'nother new functionality the Sales-Dogs would lie about and tell these BigFish clients we were already working on putting that part in there into the system. But.. you know it's also helping you too if the company scores those BigFish clients, so you just deal with it sometimes. That was before, after being bought, this corporate company doesn't do rash last-minute decisions like that though so thats nice.

And also... when you find yourself needing to remove negative people from your life when you're younger, that you just so happen to descend from... and then start a family... and then take on a mortgage... things like having stability in employment are more important to you than other people, when you've got no one else but yourself to fall back on.

Last edited:

kpk

WKR
4 years. 2.5 years in an entry level position and then took a promotion 1.5 years ago. I like what I do, the place I work for and the people I work with but my wife and I are looking for a change.

I applied for a job last week that would have been a small step back. It is an entry level position but would have taken back to where I grew up. Called today and found out my application was rejected because my degree is in finance, not public finance and 4 years of experience doing the exact same job as I applied for doesn’t make up for the “wrong” degree.

OP, I feel your pain.

This is exactly the kind of crap I'm currently dealing with too, but I'm at 17 years experience. Currently looking to pick up some college credits to "polish" the resume.

I've heard you should either plan to move up or move on in 5 years. I'd say that's probably really true IMO. Seems most jobs the pay advances really quick the first couple years, then fizzles out.

For my 9-5, I am a civil engineer, been at my current employer for 10 going on 11 years. Started at this job as an intern in college and was hired at graduation. Contrary to popular belief, I make enough to pay the bills.

My dad has owned his own trucking business as long as I can remember. Mostly hauling heavy equipment. He bought a semi horse trailer about 6-8 years ago. I wanted to get into it and bought a gooseneck horse trailer for my pick up. Been shipping horses on the side for 2 years now. Make more an hour after expenses than I do at my 9-5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sturgeon

WKR
Been with my current company 2.5 years. Got a in place promotion that came with a few extra responsibilities in the spring. It is way more interesting and has a ton of variety so I don’t see myself going anywhere for a few years. Was at my previous job for about 7 years and it was very monotonous.

big44a4

WKR
I’ve heard it said that in modern job settings, assuming you have a desire to move up, if you don’t move up or get a raise in around 3 years or so, best to move on. After that timeline, the company has little incentive to promote you or pay you more money. They already have you.
In this job market, if they aren’t incentivizing you to stay, you can likely take a step up elsewhere.

This is accurate. Your skill set is usually more valued where you aren’t. Especially if you aren’t desperate to leave which I was not. I wasn’t even looking for a job. I was at my first company for 6 years took a job with another company in the same industry (same job title) been there 2 years now and total compensation is 55-65% more depending how bonus works out. Good thing I left the comfort zone as my wife lost her job during covid and was able to start working for herself from home.