How long do you hide new toys from the wife?

Elc1973

FNG
Not that I condone this but I just got myself a new puffy for Christmas and it's hidden in my bow room for a while until I can say " oh that old thing". Just wondering if I'm the only one out there!

Beastmode

WKR
Just be honest. My wife knows what I spend on all my gear. She knows I love to hunt and if I dont get to hunt I am miserable to be around. I like to have good gear and she has accepted that.

tttoadman

WKR
After I got back from my nov deer hunt, it was apparent that my cold blooded ass needs a better bag than a marmot 0 deg. I found a MH wraith -20 for half price. Not the lightest bag, but I know it can also serve as an overnight bivy if needed without getting soaked. It is hiding in my room in the basement.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I don't need to hide new toys. If they're clothes, they're too big for her anyway so they're safe. If they're real man toys, she won't want to play with them......so they're safe too.

The only toy my wife gripes about is my F-350, because I won't let her drive it.

i just dont mention it. lots of stuff just shows up and have so much crap already she rarely notices. i do hide my excitement with new purchases and save that to share with you guys

jmez

WKR
Don't hide anything from my wife and tell her before I buy stuff. I wouldn't appreciate it if she were buying things and hiding them from me.

MattB

WKR
I won't buy anything that I can't be honest with my wife about.

A former colleague had a shoe fetish and would buy heels that were $500 or more per pair. She would pull small amounts of cash out of the ATM here and there in advance of her big purchases and then buy the shoes 50%/50% cash and credit so she could defend her purchases by showing her husband the lower amount on the credit card bill. I have always wondered if her dishonesty was limited to shoes.

I would never hide anything from the wife. Candidly, she doesn't care. I also try to balance what i spend with her spending. For example: She wanted all new living room furniture...it is/was absurd what she wanted to spend. So, I did it becasause if you add up my gear, that number is absurd as well :) ....and I explained, this is a lot of hunting crap :) Of course, with no debt...debt is the enemy

littlebuf

Banned
Never hide a purchase from my wife. No point, a marriage should be built on honesty and trust. It may seem small or insignificant but honesty matters. And giving dishonesty or mistrust a foot hold, even a small one can be potentially damaging to your marriage. Just some food for thought

Benny

FNG
Never hide a purchase from my wife. No point, a marriage should be built on honesty and trust. It may seem small or insignificant but honesty matters. And giving dishonesty or mistrust a foot hold, even a small one can be potentially damaging to your marriage. Just some food for thought

Atta boy....good word.

This.

JWP58

WKR
Never, I spend my allowance however I want....as she spends hers how she wants. Heck she talked me in to buying a tightspot quiver lol

My brother does tile work for me on homes I build. He's always having me buy him gear for any change orders that come along. The other night at dinner the girls were chuckling when we came back inside after putting the new box of core4 clothes I ordered for him in his truck and we said what's up? They both said the little games we like to play when trying to get new gear without them knowing are pretty cute.

Ruskin

WKR
I try not to emphasize it. She doesn't really care or understand. But I think we're both happy the other is happy. Even though I don't understand why she pays what she does for what she gets. It goes both ways.

ethan

WKR
I honestly can't imagine a more understanding wife. I don't have to hide anything from her, or she from me. At the same time we both know we can trust each other in every way. That being said, I have met guys that, if I were in there shoes, I'd be hiding lots of stuff!

Ray

WKR
What are these wives you speak of?

Forever alone and I'm ok with that.

tttoadman

WKR
Some of you guys are just no fun. My wife and I have been hiding stuff from each other for 24 years. She is a ruthless bookkeeper, and we have never really had separate bank accounts. I have learned all kinds of places to hide money and things from her so she never knows what her birthday and Xmas presents could be. We are both also fantastic at snooping through the house and ruining the surprise. It is just the crazy life we lead.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member

I agree 100%

Lucky for me, my wife doesn't really care what I do. Maybe it's because I never tell her no when she wants something.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
No need to hide here as well and would not feel right about it.....as noted trust is key in a marriage and this could be big to some. Each marriage is different if it works for you who are we to judge......