How long can elk stay in a freezer?

OP
P

paxamus

WKR
I’m sorry but give me a break! I’m sorry you think you got the ole switcheroo but any meat when thawed is going to have liquid. I know I’ll get hate over this but oh well. I’ll pay you $1,000.00 to come eat off my plant floor.

Yes I know it sounds pathetic, but I’m new to elk but not hunting and meat- that package was way off from my others. Liquid don’t bother me and I love rare steaks but all you could taste was blood

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes I know it sounds pathetic, but I’m new to elk but not hunting and meat- that package was way off from my others. Liquid don’t bother me and I love rare steaks but all you could taste was blood

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I wouldn’t say it sounds pathetic. You have definite concerns and questions. I just have issues with it always being the processor’s fault. Could be a lot of different things. I used to vacuum seal all the loose meat, put it into a bag and then hang it with bone in portion of the animal. It would stay that way for weeks. Nothing wrong with it but the meat would have a different smell than the dry aged meat and was bloodier. I would check the other packages of backstrap. If it’s still a concern then you can always talk to the processor but I’m pretty sure how that conversation will go.

EdP

WKR
"Big game and turkey tags must remain with the meat. They authorize possession and storage for one year from the last day of the hunt. To store or possess meat after this date, you must have a storage permit from the Department."
What is the source for this? To me it sounds like it applies to commercial storage prior to processing, not storage for use by a consumer after processing. In any case, who is going to get a search warrant to come look in your freezer for meat older than 1 yr?

Weldor

WKR
Probably forever, it's dead. Sorry guy's could'nt help it. A little humor. I eat stuff like everyone else said. 3-4 yrs some older but not very often. We live on game meat, no store bought. It takes us about 2 years to go through the freezers while we re-stock once a year.

BBob

WKR
I recently found some buried burger from a bull that’s going on 9 years old. Totally fine. We’ve had burgers and meatloaf out of it and I don’t think I can tell the difference from some newer at all.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
We only eat wild game meat and steers raised by my cousins. We go through a whole lot of it these days with two growing boys.

In the past, my wife and I would regularly eat deer, elk, steer, pig, etc. that was more than 3 years old. These days if it’s on its 2nd year in the freezer it’s lasted a while.