How full do you run your pack?

FAAFO

Lil-Rokslider
I carry at least an 8000 cu in pack even for a day hunt. Those little backpacks are cute tho!

I don't mind having a larger pack (currently use a K4 5000). I typically day hunt mostly and vary the amount of crap I bring. I can easily adjust the compression straps to make the bag bigger or smaller as needed. I've used a smaller bag (K3 1800) but a cold weather day hunt can fill that thing up pretty quickly. A puffy, raingear, hat, gloves, and an extra layer take up some room.

lukebrowning

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve never understood the argument of carrying a smaller pack instills discipline to avoid overpacking. Just don’t pack it… it’s like saying I wear a smaller belt to dinner to avoid overeating…

PineBrook413

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
In the past I've run 3 different sized packs and tried to run smaller pack for day hunts and larger pack if we were out over night. But I have moved to just one 5500 exo K4 these days. The weight savings going from the 5500 bag to the 3000 bag is negligible and the 5500 cinches down very compact if you only have it 1/2 full. You can also ditch the top lid if you want to shed a little weight.

For late season day hunts with puffy pants and jackets, 15x binos, first aid, rain gear etc you end up needing most of the space anyway.

I definitely fall on the side of preferring to have a larger pack cinched down than a smaller one completely stuffed, albeit with some moderation. I certainly don’t want to take an 80L pack on a day trip but, as mentioned earlier, it can be extremely annoying to have your pack packed so meticulously you can’t repack it easily once you’ve used something from it. Additionally it’s not uncommon that I pick up a shed or something while hunting and it’s nice to have a place to put that.

I definitely fall on the side of preferring to have a larger pack cinched down than a smaller one completely stuffed, albeit with some moderation. I certainly don’t want to take an 80L pack on a day trip but, as mentioned earlier, it can be extremely annoying to have your pack packed so meticulously you can’t repack it easily once you’ve used something from it. Additionally it’s not uncommon that I pick up a shed or something while hunting and it’s nice to have a place to put that.
Agree, but when the pack is larger than I need, packing discipline sometimes seems to be an issue and I end up not being smart about what I take. I'm coming to the conclusion that I need a lot less than what I think I do, and as a result my pack sizes have slowly decreased over the years.

Agree, but when the pack is larger than I need, packing discipline sometimes seems to be an issue and I end up not being smart about what I take. I'm coming to the conclusion that I need a lot less than what I think I do, and as a result my pack sizes have slowly decreased over the years.
I would agree most people, myself included, need a lot less than they typically think they do and an easy way to get there is to have a smaller pack. That said, sometimes the “nice-to-haves” are just that; nice to have. Additionally, as you said you usually get a smaller pack with less stuff. Therefore how full your pack is would be roughly the same through the range of gear and pack size, which is similar to where I am at. I prefer to have my pack about 80% full at the start, leaving me with room to add stuff I find while hunting, maybe carry something my buddy brought, repack easily, etc. That’s operating under the assumption though that I pick out my gear and then pick a pack to match. The OP on the hand is in the opposite situation, having the pack first and trying to pick the gear second, to which I would say if it fits it ships. You might run into some issues and inconveniences but I don’t know if that’s enough to justify a new pack for one or two hunts potentially.

dirtshooter

Lil-Rokslider
I only have a K3 3200 and a K3 4800 so I'm taking the 4800 on a 7 day hunt and it's pretty tight pretty full but it's my only option.