How far can you shoot off a backpack?

DRUSS

WKR
This is good topic. I just attended a shooting class that had similar type thoughts. It was amazing how many of us have gotten dependent on gadgets (Bipod,Rear rest,tripods, lasers) too many things when if you look at your shot......it was a 275 yd target! Stabilize as needed. Learned a lot and just remembered more of what my grandpa taught me about riflemanship. I'm not saying I will not carry my Bipod but have opened up to paying attention to my circumstances.

I am interested in what this shooting class may offer and when? Lot to learn from other shooters.

4th_point

WKR
No doubt. There is nothing wrong with bipods, tripods, or any of it. They are all just a tool laying there. It’s the manner in which they are integrated into our lives that cause problems.
I totally get it and thanks for adding context to the thread.

Myself and a few others have strictly shot off of packs, stumps, logs, etc. No bipods or tripods, until adding the Spartan bipod recently. So in a way am coming from the opposite direction I guess.

The challenge to my group has been to shoot offhand more. Or off of elbows, when you may only have seconds and dorking with a pack isn't an option. Just flop down and start shooting. Both are humbling exercises, but provide good insight into capability I think. One of our guys has done really well on small plates shooting offhand out to 300, while the rest of us still need more work.

High angle work will be next. Not necessarily longrange but for making well rounded shooters. Need to change things up a bit too.

It depends on the backpack and how natural the position is. Here you can see I was in a very natural position and this stage had targets at 500-800 yards with transition each shot and 90 second stage time including setup and I dropped one shot.

Attachments

• IMG_3189.jpeg
    IMG_3189.jpeg
    657.5 KB · Views: 180

WCB

WKR
What is your go to for seated height shooting? Seems that scenario pops up quite a bit when hunting - not a good enough angle or vegetation in the way for prone.
I know this wasn't directed towards me but I have shot a bunch of animals at sitting height because of vegetation or deepish snow. I simply stand my pack up on end. Rifle tucks right between the stays or sits on the "lid" etc. A lot depends on distance also. 300yds and in just a standard sitting position w/o pack works great if practiced.

id_jon

WKR
I can't make weight for open light for the NRL hunter finale otherwise, so I'll be rolling no bipod, got a couple weeks to train it hard and see how it goes.

amassi

WKR
Those of you that have switch from a bipod to a pack. Curious to hear why.

Those of you that have switch from a bipod to a pack. Curious to hear why.

Terrain mostly
Never used a bipod growing up due to shot angle and terrain where prone just wasn’t an option. Also shoot offhand a lot so never kept a bipod attached. Stupidly I carried a bipod just incase. Tired of carrying it and never using it.
I still use a qd bipod for flat range work but it comes off for practice.
I do carry an ultralight sitting height tripod for glassing and have a spartan adapter on my rifles right in front of the mag well. Makes seated shots silly easy when time allows

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Juan_ID

WKR
I can't make weight for open light for the NRL hunter finale otherwise, so I'll be rolling no bipod, got a couple weeks to train it hard and see how it goes.
What is your setup? I thought about starting nrlhunter with no bipod out the gate but since I got the bipod it sure would be hard to go without now… 😬

id_jon

WKR
What is your setup? I thought about starting nrlhunter with no bipod out the gate but since I got the bipod it sure would be hard to go without now… 😬
11.25lbs as pictured. I can make weight with my harris if I put it in my CTR stock, which I might end up doing, but so far the only downside I can really see to this setup is losing my kickstand.

Attachments

• IMG_20230810_210319585.jpg
    IMG_20230810_210319585.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 153

ID_Matt

WKR
11.25lbs as pictured. I can make weight with my harris if I put it in my CTR stock, which I might end up doing, but so far the only downside I can really see to this setup is losing my kickstand.
Boat anchor on the end of the barrel doesn't help in the weight department lol

id_jon

WKR
Boat anchor on the end of the barrel doesn't help in the weight department lol
Lol it makes the 6.5 prc purr like a kitten though! My bipod is almost 1.5lbs, the only way I can shave 12oz is the CTR stock

kharb22

Lil-Rokslider
You can also pop the scope caps off when weighing for NRL. That'll drop a couple extra ounces.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Dobermann

WKR
That’s the spirit.

The Spartan system seems to have less cons then most others.
Hi Form,

I'm interested in this comment ... I was attracted to the Spartan for its lightweight, and ability to have stowed in a bino harness and just click in if needed - but I find the magnetic attachment gives some front/rear slop, as well as uncontrollable pan ... what have been your experiences using one?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Hi Form,

I'm interested in this comment ... I was attracted to the Spartan for its lightweight, and ability to have stowed in a bino harness and just click in if needed - but I find the magnetic attachment gives some front/rear slop, as well as uncontrollable pan ... what have been your experiences using one?

I don’t use them extensively, and haven’t at all for a while, however I don’t remember any real issues with slop or looseness.

In any case, there’s some ideas being floated for being able to use a bipod/tripod without a rail sticking out on a forend.

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
Hi Form,

Mine has a little slop developed over time from wear in the recessed magnetic mount. You can flip the bipod around one way to lock it in without panning, or the other way allows panning. Your call. You can lock the center to control left/right flop to tension it or make it loose.

These are lightweight bipods and are not made for heavy loading like PRS matches. If I'm sure I can get straight alignment behind the rifle I'll allow free recoil and it is accurate. However if your position is compromised due to terrain (which is common), then you should make sure you hold the forend or overhand scope hold. Mild loading is OK, but if you do too much the bipod will have trouble.

The biggest thing is I would not get the version with the twist lock adjustable legs. I had one and they are way too slow for rapid use and adjusting. It also fell apart on me and I had to glue the collars back on. The pro version with the simple click locking legs is heaps faster in practice. Even still, it gets loose over time and you need to keep the allen set screws tight.

The main thing is that this again is a lightweight rapid attach/detach bipod system. It is not going to take the abuse of a Harris, but it is light and is stable if you use it within the design limits.

What is the optimum way to "load up" for recoil mnagement/spotting shots when shooting off a pack? I hear of loading up the bipod are you doing similar with pressuring the rifle into the pack? Or holding the rifle more firm into the rear support and your shoulder? Or even all around? Cheek pressure?

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
Hold the forend. Or, use scope overhand to keep the rifle under control. The big risk is don't let the barrel rest on the pack when applying downward pressure.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
What is the optimum way to "load up" for recoil mnagement/spotting shots when shooting off a pack? I hear of loading up the bipod are you doing similar with pressuring the rifle into the pack? Or holding the rifle more firm into the rear support and your shoulder? Or even all around? Cheek pressure?

You load a bipod forward because of the slack in the legs and recoil. You do not have to do that when shooting off of a pack. The body is straight and neutral behind the rifle- that is a continued line from muzzle, to scope, to eye, to shoulder, to right butt cheek (for RH shooter). The shooters spine is straight, and the rifle line is parallel to the spine.
The trigger hand grip on stock is slightly less than a firm handshake- but not with the tips of the fingers. It’s a locked in static pressure, not continually squeezing. Thumb neutral and inline with the tang. The off hand in general supports the rear of the rifle under the butt; thumb and index fingers pinch the stock on either side, bottom three fingers control the bag or make a fist for the butt to rest on. The firing hand grip and offhand set the position fore and aft, then the shoulder “loads” into the butt with firm, even pressure- probably 10-12lbs worth.

Doing that, most practiced shooters have no issues watching their shots impact with 12-15ft-lbs of recoil. More recoil requires better techniques and more training/practice.