How essential is a vest in a layering system

Sunspot

WKR
I love having a vest or even two (fleece or wool lined and down or primaloft). I guess we could get fancy and call it "body mapping insulation." lol

my go to piece. wore a carhart vest for years in winter in chicago area while working on rr, felt nekid without it. still my go to at camp whether on morning hunt or sitting around campfire......

jcodyc40

Lil-Rokslider
I always have a wool or down vest in my pack. I wear a vest almost daily from October to April. For me as long as my core is warm my arms stay warm and I don't have the bulk of a full jacket.

ol490

Lil-Rokslider
I wear a vest nearly everybday I hunt and have my layering sized accordingly. To me they add great value by insulating your core body without much bulk.

OP
Bmcox86

Bmcox86

WKR
Wow, thanks for all the feedback, I think I might get a a core4 vest next time there in camofire and see how I like it.

Question for those that wear one often, do you prefer the puffy vests or a soft fleece one?

Last edited:
Soft fleece or brushed finish so it is quiet enough to hunt in and not have to cover up or take off to get in close.

Wow, thanks for all the feedback, I think I might get a a core4 vest next time there in camofire and see how I like it.

Question for those that wear one often, do you prefer the puffy vests or a soft fleece one?

I prefer a softshell/fleece lined. A puffy vest will get torn up if you're wearing it as an outer layer, plus they are noisier.

OP
Bmcox86

Bmcox86

WKR
Thanks for all the advice, I bought a core4 element vest today to see how I like it. I'll be sure to write a review after the season

dryflyguy

Lil-Rokslider
My vest is almost always on. I have a Jetstream lite vest. If it is chilly, I have a 1/4 zip superdown I put underneath it. Those two pieces cover me for almost all mid to late bow season situations.

InDeep

WKR
Good question , I have been packing my vest for last 3 years and can't really tell you why . Its a sitka celcius vest, although I have worn it I can't really justify it any longer . I'm going to switch to a down shirt this next year

drthornton

Lil-Rokslider
A vest is the first thing I go to when it gets chilly. I currently use a Sitka Kelvin. I think the reason a lot of guys don't think much of vests is they don't have one that adds much of any warmth. IMO Vests like KUIU Guide and First Lite Springer are so thin with no real insulation they are almost useless except for a very small amount of added warmth.

RyanC

WKR
Last year I went on a 10 day elk hunt and didn't bring my vest. My brother on the other hand brought his vest (Kryptek Vidar Scout) and it didn't take me long to realize I wish I had a vest. On a hunt where you are counting ounces (ie fly-in sheep hunt) I don't bring a vest. But all other hunts I will absolutely bring a vest!

Like you, I live in western Washington where I am more likely to be wet and cold than just cold. I use my $12 Cabelas fleece vest daily. I wear it under my Patagonia rain jacket over a short sleeve shirt. Perfect for a day of hiking and not getting over heated. I also put the vest on over my Patagonia micro puffy jacket, mostly because it doesn't have any exterior pockets. It is a "critical" piece of gear for me and the way I spend the outdoors. I have using this system for a few years now and I don't see me stopping anytime soon.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Never been a huge vest guy myself, but the Kryptek Kratos primaloft vest is about perfect for cold mornings under a long sleeve merino while hiking. Still have my puffy along too, so I have plenty of warmer layers for when Becca and I bivy out together and share a single quilt. Plus its about the only piece of camo I own if I leave my Kryptek merino at home on accident like I did on this last trip to Kodiak.

boom

WKR
my vest is an essential part of my layering system.

90% of my hunting, i have four items for my tops. a merino shirt, a hot weather perforated shirt, my fleece vest, and my sitka 90% jacket.

those four things worn in any configuration can handle the challenging temps you find during Jan deer hunting. 17deg to 80 deg swings sometimes.

at the coldest, i wear everything in exactly the order i have listed above. wool, shirt, vest, jacket. as it warms, i ditch something. when it is hot and i am hiking..it is all in my pack except the perforated shirt. as it cools, i grab the vest. as a bowhunter, i LOVE a vest. keeps less bulk on my bow arm. build confidence in me, knowing my arm is free.

just me. i've done two wool shirts and left the perforated shirt at the truck. it works nice too. staying dry and comfy is a moving target for me. it is amazing to me that i am warmer with my vest under my jacket. if i want to feel cooler, i flip them. jacket with the vest outside. allows fine level adjustment.

i'm buying first lite for my brother for Christmas..and a cheap camo vest. tired of hearing him moaning about being too hot or too cold. :D

Floorguy

WKR
Never been a huge vest guy myself, but the Kryptek Kratos primaloft vest is about perfect for cold mornings under a long sleeve merino while hiking. Still have my puffy along too, so I have plenty of warmer layers for when Becca and I bivy out together and share a single quilt. Plus its about the only piece of camo I own if I leave my Kryptek merino at home on accident like I did on this last trip to Kodiak.

Did you mean over over a long sleeve merino?