How does your job prepare you for the mountain?

SonnyDay

WKR
I typically work a desk job, but have been doing construction for the past year.

I have definitely noticed better upper body strength with the manual labor... but I also have less time (and energy) to do the more targeted workouts I did when I worked a desk job. I live at 5K', so my normal workout is to load up 60 lbs and hike up a trail for a few miles (and another 1K' or so in elevation) and then back down.

I recently took another desk job... so looking forward to getting into a proper workout routine as fall approaches.

If you're coming out to altitude from back east, try to get here a few days before the season opens to sleep at altitude. And don't go nuts with exertion the first few days.

DuckDogDr

WKR
you got jokes. Mine prepares me for long nights of caffeine and stress and only exercise is lifting heavy arse dogs or sparring with angry cats

There's lots of boredom, but every once in a while I have to take a large problem, break it down to smaller pieces, and figure it out... which feels alot like harvesting a mature buck at times.

Nothing ever goes to plan and it's up to you to string together the pieces to figure it all out.

WKR
Job specifics don’t, but I work four 10s and I get a wellness hour. Having a three day weekend allows me more time to get out and roam and look at the country. A daily wellness hour means getting in a strength training session is seldom a problem.

jtevanMT

Lil-Rokslider
I spend 90% of my time behind a desk, at least I have a sit/stand desk and take breaks whenever I want. I work on the 3rd floor and never use the elevator. Mountain Tough most nights and try to hike on the weekends.

waspocrew

WKR
Like others mentioned, my job only prepares me for my hunts by paying for the tags, gear, etc.

Waddi

FNG
I’m fortunate enough to be a wildland firefighter. Usually by the time September rolls around I’m ready to go. We usually do functional PT every morning that translates to walking in the woods with a pack on. Sometimes PT means stretching or doing yoga which pays dividends in recovery and mobility. I find the most bang for my buck doing slow steady cardio and supplementing that with light weight barbell squats and weighted stair climber.

M24

FNG
Old job as an FIA Forester, yea lots of climbing, steep slopes long hikes and what not. Current job as a Silviculturist, uh mostly tractor ground not much lol.

dlee56

WKR
I ride a desk for a living, but I stay hydrated and make myself climb 5 floors of stairs to use the bathroom haha

MT_Fin

WKR
Mine doesn’t really, mix of desk and field time but no heavy exertion or anything of the like. Provides a lot of vacation and comp time to use in the mountains though, so that’s something.

I’m fortunate enough to be a wildland firefighter. Usually by the time September rolls around I’m ready to go. We usually do functional PT every morning that translates to walking in the woods with a pack on. Sometimes PT means stretching or doing yoga which pays dividends in recovery and mobility. I find the most bang for my buck doing slow steady cardio and supplementing that with light weight barbell squats and weighted stair climber.
As a fireman myself, not only are the physical expectations high, but also the mental fortitude required to be accomplished at the profession. I am used to the feeling of pushing through mentally and physically when the body wants to stop. Mindset goes a long way, but a regular exercise program is just as important.

Not to mention, my 24/48 schedule allows a lot of opportunities to hunt through the week when everyone else is working lol

snowynock

FNG
New here - I work in the TV/Film industry in NYC.

Constantly on my feet for 10-16 hours a day - quite often climbing stairs all day carrying equipment. Sometimes having to be at work at 4am so my workouts typically are in the evening. A lot of this is great prep for getting into the woods hahaha.

I'm a saddle whitetail bowhunter with hopes of venturing out west in the next few years.