How does elevation affect your sleep?

MOcluck

Lil-Rokslider
This is more aimed at flatlanders. Just wondering if anybody finds it nessary to drop elevation cause of sleep issues?

Where I hunt, I set up camp just shy of 9000. It's not real altitude. I slept like a rock and woke up jacked to get going. Other than the first few days acclimating, the only thing that I noticed was a lack of appetite. I just wasn't hungry.

Dropped about 1200-1300 ft one day and had the best granola bar of my life.

Where I hunt, I set up camp just shy of 9000. It's not real altitude. I slept like a rock and woke up jacked to get going. Other than the first few days acclimating, the only thing that I noticed was a lack of appetite. I just wasn't hungry.

Dropped about 1200-1300 ft one day and had the best granola bar of my life.

I also lose appetite around 9k.

Same here on the appetite. I did a hike last week that started at 11,200' and ended at 12,400' a few miles later. I haven't slept at altitude in awhile, but when I have it's been like a rock.

Slim Jim

WKR
I usually get an altitude headache the first night and it'll wake me up in the middle of the night but by the second night I'm good.

Beendare

WKR
It affects me a little more now in my 50's than back in my 20's. I go from sealevel to over 10k about every year.

Usually the first couple nights are a little bit of tossing and turning. It helps me to take antacids for a couple days [like Rolaids] plus drinking a lot of fluids to help with minimizing the effects of high altitude

LJ Buck

WKR
I live at a high altitude so dont really know but have taken people with me and they have issues with sleep.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I spent most of a week sleeping around 12k and slept mostly fine, but the air felt thick when I dropped to 10k at the end.

KMD

Banned
I usually get an altitude headache the first night and it'll wake me up in the middle of the night but by the second night I'm good.

Me too.
Last year, we did 4 miles pack in with 8 days of gear. Set up spike camp just above 10K. 1st night, had to literally choke down a MH Beef Stroganoff for calories, and could only eat about 1/2 without bootin' it back up. Slept only decent that first night. Next morning, woke up hungry, feeling 100% improved and finished the Stroganoff with a cup of green tea. Slept like a baby the rest of the trip.

I live @ 150ft ASL...

Alphaman77

Lil-Rokslider
Same here with the wild dreams.....but I think being away from all the hustle and grind I know I have nothing to do but what I love for, so I sleep much deeper.

LaGriz

WKR
Good topic,
I live at 32' above sea level. Have had two bouts of Atrial Fibrillation in 2001 & 2010. Have been corrected (shocked) and take meds to mantain a sinus rythum.
In 2009 on my 1st night in camp I awoke to a jacked hart rate. Took better than 1 hr. and some meds to slow it down. My resting hart rate is 48-to-52 on a normal day. I was so tired from the event and the poor sleep I turned down a 10 yd. shot at a cow that afternoon. I didn't know if I could get the meat out timely and the local permitted outfitters never returned my calls. In 2 days I recovered enough to get into some more elk, however was unable to get another chance at a shot. Solo trips are driveing my lady crazy with worry. Have since found a hunting partner that can stand me. I like his company in camp, traveling, the friendship and safety. But still would rather hunt alone given a choice. I just hunt slower and at my own pace. Don't have to please anyone else, and make less noise. I try and get to my hunting grounds a few days early to get settled, and used to the elevation change.

LaGriz

wagnon89

FNG
I will be finding out the answer to that in a few weeks. I've never been at altitude. We will be camping around 11,000 ft. I live at 1,250 ft but that's on top of a "mountain". It averages about 400 ft or so around here.

boom

WKR
i once checked my resting HR at 11,000..i was snuggled into my bag relaxed.. i had a HR of 80. at home i get 50

cwoodyt87

FNG
Hey Cluck - I've never had issues sleeping at altitude, I'm usually completely wiped out though and fall right to sleep! but that's just me. Then again I don't get the altitude headaches or anything like that either. Max I've slept at is maybe 10k if that, I'd have to check