How do you use Exo 5500 side pockets?

Idaboy

WKR
I have run Exo packs for a while, both with camp on back and day hunts. Wondering how guys utilize the long side pockets. I dont run a spotter...besides maybe trekking poles, I haven't found the best functionality yet

Do you stuff just quick access clothes for the day? Any specific gear you like to put in them?

Dave0317

WKR
I don’t have an Exo, but I am a fan of that style of side pocket. Usually a Nalgene bottle, sometimes just some item that I am using off and on throughout the day, like if the temps are just cool enough to need a beanie when sitting, but I might want to stuff it in that pocket while I move, etc.

Also great for bottoms of trekking poles or tripod legs. Best part is, even if you don’t like them or don’t use them; they don’t weight much and suck in close to the pack when empty.

Don’t know yet. My K4 5000 will arrive on my doorstep Tuesday. I’m sure one side will hold
My giant Nalgene bottle attached to my hardside hydration set up. Maybe a jacket or more water on the other side. I like to take lots of water with me during the day.

JNDEER

WKR
Are you talking about the 5500 old school bag or the new 5000 bag?

For the 5500-pack in had tent, camp cookware, first aide, camp coffee cup, water filter, water storage bag (empty) tripod, spotting scope

5500 day mode had one side with game bags and knives, water filter if needed, and tripod while other side had spotter.

For the 5000 - I don’t have but run the 3600 and similar style bag and run first aide knives and tripod in one and spotter in the other. Sadly new bags outside pocket push more inward and you loose internal space so I put game bags, clothes (jacket, rain gear or whatever I need) and food inside main bag for most day mode hunting.

When I walked the Kokoda Track with my Exo 5500 I had a 3L water bladder down one of the side pockets so it was easily accessible when I needed to top it up. On other backpack hunts I normally just stuff my stove, fuel cans, and nalgene bottles down the side pockets.

OP
Idaboy

Idaboy

WKR
Are you talking about the 5500 old school bag or the new 5000 bag?

For the 5500-pack in had tent, camp cookware, first aide, camp coffee cup, water filter, water storage bag (empty) tripod, spotting scope

5500 day mode had one side with game bags and knives, water filter if needed, and tripod while other side had spotter.

For the 5000 - I don’t have but run the 3600 and similar style bag and run first aide knives and tripod in one and spotter in the other. Sadly new bags outside pocket push more inward and you loose internal space so I put game bags, clothes (jacket, rain gear or whatever I need) and food inside main bag for most day mode hunting.
The K2 and K3 bags

The K2 and K3 bags
I have a K2 3500 and 5500. In the longer upper side pockets I'll put trekking poles, lightweight handsaw, tiny set of pruning shears, tent poles, and a foldable foam glassing/sitting pad. Lower pockets may hold a Nalgene bottle, Sawyer squeeze water filtration system, food wrappers and assorted self-generated garbage.