How do you set your rifle down in the field?

TaperPin

WKR
First, the applicable and important thing is that wet cases can cause issues. Why they cause issues is a theoretical and fun discussion, but of limited application.

Where does that differ from what I said?

This is a laughable comparison, the pressure interface between scope and rings differs between that of chamber and case by over 10^2. Comparing the two is like comparing a 308s velocity to a slingshot. Additionally, water is not oil. Degrease everything properly, then dip the rings in water and mount the scope and I will bet money the amount of force needed to make the scope slip at a given torque will increase compared to dry rings.

Well, oil is not water and the two react very differently, especially when dealing with a thin film. Second, other than that the case slipped with oil on it, rather than the primer backing out, nothing is said about how the pressure compared.

Given that a cartridge was being used that would not have a case head separation regardless of headspace, generalizing this to most other cartridges is not possible.

The thrust against the bolt was considered to measure the cartridge pressure, even if it was higher, it would not prove if it was higher due to oil consuming chamber volume and increasing pressure or due to increased rearwards thrust with the same pressure.

If lubricity is the problem, than higher pressures and thinner brass should decrease the amount of slip. It sounds like higher pressure makes the issues from water worse, not better.
Maybe I misunderstood what you were saying about the case sealing to the chamber?

I just googled oil in chamber increasing bolt thrust and gave you one article that popped up in the middle of 20 other posts saying it increases bolt thrust. I was afraid that article would be a little hard to follow and muddy the water - much of it was on something completely different.

edit: here’s a better article with a section specifically on water in the chamber.

Last edited:

A382DWDZQ

WKR
I might start tossing mine off into the rocks barrel first. Kinda like how our long snapper in high school drug his helmet behind his car through the parking lot. He never really used his helmet, but it sure looked like he did. EXACT same concept.
A new barrel breakin’ technique was born.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Maybe I misunderstood what you were saying about the case sealing to the chamber?

I just googled oil in chamber increasing bolt thrust and gave you one article that popped up in the middle of 20 other posts saying it increases bolt thrust. I was afraid that article would be a little hard to follow and muddy the water - much of it was on something completely different.

edit: here’s a better article with a section specifically on water in the chamber.

Just coming back to say you were correct on bolt thrust and there not being an actual increase in pressure and I was wrong. This was posted by @ResearchinStuff in another thread and tests in a way that settles the it and while I'm pretty sure you saw it in that thread, as I had argued in this one I figured I would provide the information here for others.

Brabell12

FNG
I will the second the quick attach Spartan bipod! But generally tape the muzzle and make sure the action/bolt handle is alway up and muzzle facing uphill. The first scratch is always the worst then it’s character building.

TaperPin

WKR
Just coming back to say you were correct on bolt thrust and there not being an actual increase in pressure and I was wrong. This was posted by @ResearchinStuff in another thread and tests in a way that settles the it and while I'm pretty sure you saw it in that thread, as I had argued in this one I figured I would provide the information here for others.

That’s a good article - thanks for sharing.