How do you remain calm with overcrowding?

I remember when there was elk and low hunters, it was amazing. Those days are over, hunters from all over the place, all over the place. Just seeing if people even recognize the masses that now chase around small scared elk between patches of private land.

gelton

WKR
Interesting first post. Just be happy you are chasing elk. If that doesn't work, change seasons or units.

I am not a lifelong elk hunter but I have been hunting them for more than a decade and the most crowded year that I remember was somewhere around 2016. Contrary to popular belief, the units that I hunt (OTC) are much more crowded during archery than rifle.

Wrench

WKR
I spent my life hunting Washington state. We are allowed 99 hours of hunting for elk. I learned to play the pressure and shoot fast.

Moving forward to Idaho there is almost no pressure by comparison and I still study escape routes and work those.

Weldor

WKR
Pressure is a way of life hunting Elk in AZ, back to back hunts all fall. Use the competition like hounds to push the Elk to you.LOL

Last edited:

TaperPin

WKR
It’s like combat fishing for salmon - the guys that don’t mind it catch fish. I tried it, even wanted to get used to it - wanted to enjoy it.

Like everything there are different levels to combat fishing. In downtown Anchorage you stand 10’ apart, let out 4’ of line and smack yarn balls into the milk chocolate colored water. In a big river bend you might be 25 yards apart. Some inlets have guys in waders evenly spread out 50 yards apart. I wouldn’t mind a place where there’s 100 yards between bodies, but anything closer and I’d rather go to the kiddy pond and teach 2nd graders to fly fish for stockers.

Trailhead combat hunting is why I backpack. Still, running into other hunters is something you can’t get away from so it’s good to understand escape routes, but probably the most enjoyable hunt of my life was getting out before a heavy snow when everyone else was coming out of the high country. It was three days before another orange vest popped up on a distant ridge a mile away - that was living.

taskswap

WKR
It was always better "back in the day." People in the Lewis & Clark expedition could walk right up to a bison to take one.

Pressure can be an advantage if you use it right. Let other people do the walking and push game to you.

Weldor

WKR
It’s like combat fishing for salmon - the guys that don’t mind it catch fish. I tried it, even wanted to get used to it - wanted to enjoy it.

Like everything there are different levels to combat fishing. In downtown Anchorage you stand 10’ apart, let out 4’ of line and smack yarn balls into the milk chocolate colored water. In a big river bend you might be 25 yards apart. Some inlets have guys in waders evenly spread out 50 yards apart. I wouldn’t mind a place where there’s 100 yards between bodies, but anything closer and I’d rather go to the kiddy pond and teach 2nd graders to fly fish for stockers.

Trailhead combat hunting is why I backpack. Still, running into other hunters is something you can’t get away from so it’s good to understand escape routes, but probably the most enjoyable hunt of my life was getting out before a heavy snow when everyone else was coming out of the high country. It was three days before another orange vest popped up on a distant ridge a mile away - that was living.
Love the term Combat fishing! and of course Combat hunting!

I live in an OTC unit. I can hunt areas that have more people running around than walmart does on christmas eve. Or I can hunt where most other folks aren't. I choose option B

I am grateful that I don’t live in Kenya or India where big game hunting was outlawed decades ago to the deteriment of their wildlife.

I am glad to live in the USA with our model of North American Wildlife Conservation and ample public opportunities to enjoy the outdoors.

Don’t sweat it. Enjoy your time in the outdoors. Try remote parts of Alaska and Africa when you get a chance. Happy hunting to all, TheGrayRider.