How do you pay for your gear?

Comes from my fun money saved over time. I also utilized 0% credit cards and pay it off before the promotional period ends.

I’ve slowly upgraded stuff as I go. Last to get upgraded was camo clothing. I’ve enjoyed lighter weight, purpose built camo. Probably my favorite upgrade is a pair of Kowa 6x32 binos for squirrel hunting. Great glass, under $400, nice and compact.

I now find myself sometimes “looking” for an opportunity to spend on stuff that really won’t do anything better than what I currently am running.

Always have to pay yourself first (essentially pay a tax to yourself into retirement) and then it makes spending mostly guilt free.

I'm not buying too much gear for big game hunting now. Pretty well outfitted. I spend more on ammo than anything else now.

I love duck hunting and duck hunters are insanely dumb and spend a ton on trying to kill a few ducks. Guilty. I've got everything I need, but am always upgrading. Also, duck hunting destroys expensive equipment/gear, so there are always repair/replacement costs.

I've spent a ton of money on it all, and never wasted a dime. They don't make caskets with pockets. 🤣🤣

Mish-pop

Lil-Rokslider
I don't know who posted it on here but I saw once that someone would only decide to buy something if it would make them a better hunter. Like, will the gun I want to buy actually help me harvest more animals and ethically or can I do that with my current setup or maybe tweak it a little. Will that new bow that shoots 20 fps faster help me out or am I fooling myself. Does this jacket.... you get the picture. I am telling myself that now and if it truly will help me become a better hunter, I'm more apt to purchase it. Save till I can afford that new equipment and make due with what I have till then

OP
el_jefe_pescado

el_jefe_pescado

Lil-Rokslider
I don't know who posted it on here but I saw once that someone would only decide to buy something if it would make them a better hunter. Like, will the gun I want to buy actually help me harvest more animals and ethically or can I do that with my current setup or maybe tweak it a little. Will that new bow that shoots 20 fps faster help me out or am I fooling myself. Does this jacket.... you get the picture. I am telling myself that now and if it truly will help me become a better hunter, I'm more apt to purchase it. Save till I can afford that new equipment and make due with what I have till then
X2 I agree 100%

CorbLand

WKR
I'm not buying too much gear for big game hunting now. Pretty well outfitted. I spend more on ammo than anything else now.

I love duck hunting and duck hunters are insanely dumb and spend a ton on trying to kill a few ducks. Guilty. I've got everything I need, but am always upgrading. Also, duck hunting destroys expensive equipment/gear, so there are always repair/replacement costs.

I've spent a ton of money on it all, and never wasted a dime. They don't make caskets with pockets. 🤣🤣
A meth addiction is cheaper than waterfowl hunting.

7mm-08

WKR
My approach might be summarized as, "Minimal gear, maximum quality, never add capacity until you've maximized capability".

For example, I don't have a lot of guns compared to most guys, but I have more money in just 2 or 3 of my hard-use/regular use guns than a lot of guys will have in their whole collection, when you add in quality optics, accessories, and the amount of ammo and training I put through them. None of those guns or their related gear gets upgraded until I have absolutely maxed out my capability with them, and where an upgrade actually, genuinely takes my capabilities and performance to another level, or at least removes genuine barriers I'm hitting in improving that performance.

When a purchase is made, I also try to buy the best quality I can afford at that time, and do so with cash, not debt. There's a certain threshold for most things where they get relatively "expensive", but they cross a quality tipping-point where they're absolutely reliable and won't need to be replaced because of failure, and that's the minimum quality I try to shoot for. I would far and away prefer to set aside money for a few months and cross that quality threshold, than get something cheaper that won't hold up over time.
One of the best responses I've ever read on Rokslide!

COJoe

Lil-Rokslider
I think my moose hunting clothes in AK 25 years ago probably didn't cost over $150 as most were some kind of Army surplus and whatever was in my closet. Now though, each paycheck I have money I set aside so any purchase is covered but I do use CC for points then pay it off. I try to buy any item used, Winchester model 70 300 WSM from local gun store, not pretty but shoots very well with an old Leupold VX1 scope. I just shoot within my range. SG pack, SG sleeping bag are quality gear I bought used but I did purchase a new SG 1Person tent for this year due to not having a 4 season tent and was pretty cold at times last year. All my clothing is used except for the recent Ambient 100 hoody purchased this year. Crispi boots were new but found a great sale, back up Crispi boots were slightly used. I enjoy the pursuit of a good deal on used clothing or at least, a greatly discounted price.

I work hard in life and greatly enjoy helping other people out but when it comes to elk hunting, that's my favorite time of the year and I have no regrets being as comfortable as I can be to enjoy myself on the mountain with my hunting buddy and if we get our elk, well praise God for His provision.

COJoe

Lil-Rokslider
If you haven’t ever sat in a blind on a cold November morning, steam rising off the water and had a group of mallards cupped up, dropping into your spread…buddy, your missing out.
I've seen that exact scenario, so I raised my Remington 870 Express, pulled the trigger and silence.... The freezing rain in AK in October had froze my trigger and action solid! Mr. mallard quietly flew away and chose a different place to land. :(

tdhanses

WKR
It’s interesting to think back over the 15 or so years Rokslide has been around, I think I’ve seen this similar thread come up every few years.

Took me many years to get what I like, haven’t really bought anything in years now.

Now I pay for hockey and horse ridding for my kids, hunting gear is pretty cheap compared to those hobbies.

KenLee

WKR
If you haven’t ever sat in a blind on a cold November morning, steam rising off the water and had a group of mallards cupped up, dropping into your spread…buddy, your missing out.
Been there and enjoyed it, but like turkey hunting, it just doesn't excite me enough in last 10 years to bother.

Now I pay for hockey and horse ridding for my kids, hunting gear is pretty cheap compared to those hobbies.
My kid started playing hockey a few years ago. Crazy how much it costs compared to sports I played growing up. Glad he isn't a goalie. It would be even worse.

My day job easily covers whatever I decide to buy. I do try to buy at a discount, and I always use a credit card if possible. It's super easy to save money if you don't need to be trendy with whatever flavor of Kool-Aid is in style that week.

Pay with cash, buy used and sale stuff.

None of my stuff matches, half of it isn’t even “hunting” brands, and even my boots are used.

I've gotten some killer deals on Kenetreks with their annual year-end sale. They bring in all ranges of their boots for repair or warranty, and for whatever reason they keep some of them, then offload them at year's end. Some virtually brand new, others are absolutely brutalized but with brand-new soles and rands. They announce it via their email newsletter, but sell them on ebay. I've seen some of the virtually new pairs go for well less than 50% of retail, and others for about 25% that have been well worn.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Married well, that’s it, that’s the secret. Both of us have good careers, wife is just a business owner and does very well, and we live far far below our means. So I have more “play” money. I try to sell something off when I get something new, it doesn’t always happen, but that helps too, and recently I try to invest the same amount that I spend on toys