how do you load pack for training purposes?

HockeyDad

Lil-Rokslider
I use a old wool blanket at the bottom of my pack, then load in a 40# bag of water softener salt. Makes it compact yet carries well.

marc

Lil-Rokslider
I never stop backpacking so I just maintain by carrying around my normal stuff. When you climb big mountains all summer hunting season is actually pretty easy!

Scoot

WKR
Like some of the guys who use water, I use a similar method. I fill up several 100 oz bladders with beer. When I get to the top, I drink all the beer. It really saves on my knees on the way down. :)

husky390

WKR
For those that reload, a 500 round box of .44 or .45acp 240/230gr bullets works very well. I stuff a blanket or heavy jacket in the bottom, box of bullets, and then another jacket on top.

If I am not outdoors and at the gym, I strap 45 lb plates to the Bikini - on the stairmaster. Very fast and easy. I realize the load is not same, but from an workout standpoint, it is great.

Snyd

WKR
I start out with just some bulky filler and 15-20lbs barbell weight. Then I end up with a 50lb sack of popcorn and will add 5-10lbs at a time up to max of 85-100lbs for a few hikes but not too many at 100 because I'm close to the hunt by then and don't want to take a chance on an injury. I tend to "settle in" around 65lbs for most of the training hikes which is the popcorn, water and some filler.

Kifaru duplex frame with cargo panel.

I have rubber bumpers that I use for lifting.

I sandwich the plates between the frame and cargo panel. Then I attach my water bladder and any other gear (snacks etc) in lock and load pockets on the back of the cargo panel. This makes the most tight and compact load for training.

Like some of the guys who use water, I use a similar method. I fill up several 100 oz bladders with beer. When I get to the top, I drink all the beer. It really saves on my knees on the way down. :)

haven't tried this training method yet, but seems like it may be a challenge worth accepting