How do you get your elk racks back home in your truck bed? Tips / Pics appreciated.

robtattoo

WKR
I do wonder whats with the shortbeds on fullsize pickups?

Nashville soccer Moms 🙄

Better turning radius, easier to park.

Anything that won't fit in a 6" 10" bed is going on a trailer anyway.

Really?! I don't know a full size owner that'd give 2 hoots about turning or parking. They do care about being able to get a half pack of drywall or plywood in there though, without the hassle of having to turn..... or park.... a trailer. Anything less than 8 foot is worthless.

Duh

WKR
IMG_6239.jpeg
Couple years ago. I always bring them inside if staying the night somewhere. I’ve had a rack stolen out of Billings a few years back.

Felix40

WKR
Nashville soccer Moms 🙄

Really?! I don't know a full size owner that'd give 2 hoots about turning or parking. They do care about being able to get a half pack of drywall or plywood in there though, without the hassle of having to turn..... or park.... a trailer. Anything less than 8 foot is worthless.
Until you are in the woods on tight forest roads…which is where I spend most of my time. 4 door with an 8 foot bed is a nightmare out there.

Acting like there’s only 1 correct answer for everyone is worthless.

Last edited:
I've always driven 3/4 ton trucks.

I also drive them in downtown and on mountain roads.

I don't touch drywall, and have never had issues with my shortbed. Full time construction work. Haul tractors, vehicles, all kinds of stuff. Do a lot more different stuff than most people.

ChrisAU

WKR
The first one I killed wouldn’t fit in my camper shell over a bed of coolers. I was very pleased with our remedy.

IMG_9275.jpeg

Went with that the next year when my buddy got his first elk

IMG_2859.jpeg

Those two made it from Colorado to Alabama with no damage at all.

But last year my new truck had a bit more room.

IMG_5182.jpeg

Not much to add other than those being some of my favorite pics. I will say that some medical prewrap and tape are great for protecting antlers.

just stick the tines in the leftover hay bales.... no straps needed.
IMG_1329.jpg

Mine didn't fit in the truck bed (good problem to have!) so we stuffed the coolers and gear in the bed/cap and strapped the antlers up to the hitch and haul. Second pic is once we got back home and headed to the processor.

Attachments

• truck rack.jpg
    truck rack.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 10
  • coolers and rack.jpg
    coolers and rack.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 10

saskhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Like any other piece of gear? It's not really rocket appliances.

Ratchet strapped in the back. I usually put something soft-ish between the antlers and hard surfaces on long drives to reduce friction.

Its funny to me that people can fit 1000's of qts worth of coolers in the back of their pickups, but cant seam to find space for a raghorn skull. ;):ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Didn't quite make sense to us either lol. The bed was stuffed full of gear and no matter which way we had that head the cap door or bed gate wouldn't shut. Maybe part of me wanted to have show and tell on the drive home too ;)