How do you get your elk racks back home in your truck bed? Tips / Pics appreciated.

lpplayer59

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for the best tips / trips to get two elk racks back in a full size crew cab truck bed. (5.5’ bed)

I have “blankets” and lots of ratchet straps / tie downs. Debating on bubble wrap vs other thoughts on protecting the tines - planning on using braces (trekking poles) between the main beams. There hopefully will be several coolers underneath filled with meat and capes. Heading to WY next weekend

IMG_8636.jpeg

Gman12

Lil-Rokslider
We just ratchet strapped them on top of the coolers. No issues. Did not use any blankets or bubble wrap. Drove from CO to VA and got pulled over in Kentucky by a game warden. Had the proper documentation to prove they were not killed in KY. I think he just wanted to see the racks close up.

buffybr

Lil-Rokslider
Not an elk rack, but when I hunted caribou in Newfoundland, I flew out of Denver. I knew this bull was B&C quality so I didn't split the antlers and paid the extra oversize airline luggage fee for the flight back to Denver.

I don't think that ths rack would fit inside my Subaru without my luggage, so I tied it on top for the drive back to Montana. I got a lot of thumbs up on the drive home, and a couple of people asked if they could take a pic of it.
jKTuvBql.jpg

Before I bought a horse trailer for my horses I just had 2x4 stock rack in the back of my pickup. I built it with a shelf that extended over the cab of my truck. My gear and elk racks rode on that shelf.

Just wedged and padded it between two coolers and strapped everything around it down. This was a cap not full skull.

Make sure you bring it in the hotel with you if you plan to stay overnight on the way home.

Attachments

• RIIZ2694.JPG
    RIIZ2694.JPG
    208.4 KB · Views: 5