How do you deal with Anti-hunters in public?

brewer427

WKR
Yesterday I was working outside of a building welding up a new compressor rack, when a jug of oil accidently got spilled on my work shirt. I went to my truck and proceeded to take it off and put on another one. In the process a woman seen my I EAT ELK shirt I had on underneath my work shirt. She then proceeded to say I was a terrible person for killing animals for my meat. I turned around and trying to avoid a public argument and just said I'm sorry my shirt offended her and that it was not my intention to offend her. She then said I should be ashamed and walked off. No big deal, thought that was the end of it, but it wasn't.

I finished welding then we proceeded to carry the rack through the building and set it in place. I then stared walking back to my truck when I seen her standing in line, waiting to check out. I took a wide path around her to try and avoid any further comments, but to no avail. She started calling me an animal killer, barbarian and a disgraceful human being. Trying not to make a seen I apologized again and told her I'm sorry hunting offended her. But she kept going. Long story short I kind of lost it and asked her if she eats meat, she said yes. I then proceeded to tell her that the meat doesn't appear out of thin air and that the animals have to be killed, in order for the meat to appear at the grocery stores. She then said that slaughter houses are way more humane then hunters.:confused: I just laughed and told her she needs to do some research and get her facts straight, then said have a nice day and walked out.

I finished the day and went back to work only to find out that she called the office and chewed out one of our secretary's, saying she couldn't believe my company had the audacity to hire someone who murders animals.

So what do you guys do or say when your called out, or have you ever been. I tried to stay professional since I was working, but it was hard...

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
You can't wrestle with a pig without getting muddy. People that are closed minded should be dismissed with pity.

littlebuf

Banned
I just choke slam them. There real quiet after that for some reason?

I don't think we have any anti-hunters in AK.:) Joking of course, but the reality is, a huge portion of our population hunts, and I don't think we have very many anti's.

Broz

WKR
Was this in Helena? I guess I am at least a little surprised since the community is largely made up of hunters?

How old was this genius?

Any idea where she works?

Jeff

JoshTX

WKR
I tell the the haters about my last hunt and how much I enjoy my game meat cooked medium rare. Then they get the finger. Then I walk away.

Its kind of like the people who criticize oil and gas, coal. I always approach it in the same manor. I am polite and just put them in their place by saying well do you eat meat. If they say no, I only eat vegies, I politely say, how could you kill such an inocent living creature. With a big ole smile. Usually they get really pissed about that and start blowing up. Thats when they look bad and you don't. It is all the same. We have to kill to eat.

Shrek

WKR
First off , never apologize. I try to be polite and stay out of an argument. I smile and be as nice as possible , like syrupy nice . That usually drives assholes insane and robs them of any satisfaction. I had a table of women at a bar start in with me. My response was to smile and send a pitcher of beer. By the end of the night we had a real conversation and I might have swayed some of their opinions. When you get angry you stoop to their level.

Curtis C

WKR
People like the one you described are unreasonable so I see no need to get into the discussion with them. I just let them ramble on and embarrass themselves as I go on my way. Sometimes I stop and look at them so they have more opportunity to show their stupidity to any bystanders.

littlebuf

Banned
You guys must not look scary enough. Nobody ever says anything to me. About anything really...

bairdi

FNG
I don't think we have any anti-hunters in AK.:) Joking of course, but the reality is, a huge portion of our population hunts, and I don't think we have very many anti's.

Even though there are probably other places that have way more, I still think there are more than enough here. I trap and have brought a few dog mushers around from the anti side by showing them that we can share the same trails on my trapline for both uses as long as each of us is willing to work with the other and communicate. What originally looked like was going to turn into a really ugly experience, actually turned out quite nicely and has benefited both parties.

When you're at work, the choke slam or beotch slap may be ill-advised. Smile. Tell them that it's really unfortunate that they feel that way, pull a piece of venison jerky out and start chewing on it. Breath jerky on them. Smile. Think about the hunt. Use a face that conveys enormous understanding while smiling...the same face you use with a developmentally challenged four year old.

Shrek

WKR
You guys must not look scary enough. Nobody ever says anything to me. About anything really...

I'm pretty big and scary myself and when I think about it I've never had a man say anything , always women. I guess I don't come off as the type to beat women so they feel free to express themselves .

JoshTX

WKR
I'm pretty big and scary myself and when I think about it I've never had a man say anything , always women. I guess I don't come off as the type to beat women so they feel free to express themselves .

This.

It's always a woman.