How do you deal with Anti-hunters in public?

bjaegers

Lil-Rokslider
I get a lot of looks Huntin in the Sierra's " Sierra Clubbers are real thick over here".

Be prepared: Never apologize...

I usually say something like this is an evolutionary food source, organic, renewable, and we wouldn't be here without hunters. Wild Grass feed game is what Man has ate for over 200,000 years and it is a perfect food. If you want to grow Man Tits go ahead and eat your Soy and Wheat... I smile then usually move on.

2ski

WKR
I have to say you handled it well. I hate it when people apologize for me taking something one way or interpreting something how I did. Because they are not actually apologizing. By saying you're sorry she got pissed, it puts it back on her.

charvey9

WKR
Sometimes I'm probably asking for it, but I wear my I EAT ELK shirt around in a fairly liberal city. Running, at the gym, etc. I've had a few of those encounters, and they usually end when I just shrug my shoulders and tell them that everyone is entitled to their opinion and walk away.

Occasionally, someone really wants to push the issue and I go the vegetarian and leather route. The confrontation ends really quickly if you see they are wearing leather shoes. I ask if they have ever been to, or seen a commercial meat farm....especially those pig farms where they shackle the animals to limit movement so they burn less calories and fatten up quicker. I explain that I choose to provide my own food whenever possible, preferring to know where my food came from, how it was handled, and cared for.

If that doesn't do it....well, you can't fix stupid. Tell them you really don't give a f*ck what they think and walk away.

OP
brewer427

brewer427

WKR
Was this in Helena? I guess I am at least a little surprised since the community is largely made up of hunters?

How old was this genius?

Any idea where she works?

Jeff
No this was down in Bozeman, there's a lot of opinionated people in that neck of the woods. I'd say she was in her late 20's early 30's and was pretty damn hot, but judging by her clothes and the range rover she was driving Id bet money she's a woman who doesn't work and has a rich husband or family. But don't know, I can deffantely say the thought of taken out a tire or two did cross my mind...

I wear my hunting shirts all the time when working out or running the hills and never really have any issues but there's always somebody ready to b!+ch about something. ;)

mt100gr.

WKR
I agree that you handled it well. I hope I would be so tactful. Depends on the situation I guess.

It's a shame really that some people think they are so superior for whatever reason. I have tried so many times to tell people that killing is not why I hunt. In fact, the act of killing still humbles me every time. It's not difficult to carry out the act for me, but when the adrenaline subsides, and the reality of death sets in, respect and gratitude are what I feel. I work hard and spend hard earned money to put healthy food on my family's table and will not tolerate ignorance. So what if enjoy all aspects of my time in the field. Beats a grocery store every time. If I can, I walk away, if I can't, I usually make an attempt to explain myself. If that doesn't work, I simply criticize something I find "imperfect" about them, then walk away.

My wife won't eat beef. Never really ate red meat until she got mixed up with me. Now she suggests game-based recipes more often than not. And she has said many times that since she started eating more wild game (of the the red meat variety) that her skin is better, hair is healthier, she feels better and healthier, the list goes on.

I'll be darned, turns out that red meat stuff is good for you, too.

jcodyc40

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure how you can eat meat but think hunting is unethical. Somehow makes sense this happened in Bozeman, probably hasn't lived here long enough to realize most People who live in Montana like to hunt.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J2N0Utg7KYE

Here's a pretty good response. I wish I could think on the spot like that. Hope the link works...

I've watched that a few times in the past and it's pretty good. I try to soak up how intelligently Steven handles that situation. But, the vegan dude was pretty calm too, unlike the lady in the OP... I wish I could think that clearly to construct my thoughts and arguments like Steven does. He is such an intelligent guy and I love to listen to him speak. Need to read his book.

amp713

WKR
Im not a big religion guy but there are some very good scriptures that i have quoted that will silence most people.... I rarely get called out though.....

ohoopee

WKR
Ignore them and walk over to their vehicle and take pic of the tag on their car. It will flip them out.

mt100gr.

WKR
Yeah, the OP had his hands full. The vegan dude was seeking Steven's personal beliefs s well as his reason for doing what he does so publicly. (His books are great too. American Bison was every bit as good as meat eater. Anyone who appreciates wildlife would enjoy it, imo. ) the uppity gal in Bozeman, not so calm from the sounds of it.

husky390

WKR
similar to you. go the soft route until pushed then explode and go way too far...
unless im half drunk, then i skip the first step.

This ^^^^^^. I had two soccer Mom's from my neighborhood voice their opinion to me last year after seeing me hiking with a fully loaded pack every day. After I received the "approval" from one when I explained that I do it to feed my family one of them wished me good luck. The other said she didn't want to hear anymore about it and walked off, which was fine with me. Had I heard any grief from them, I would have told them to mind their own damn business with a few other choice words and probably would've finished it off by asking them if they would approve of me telling them how to live their lives. Turning the tables on people is fun but my tolerance of people telling others how they should live is nill.

OP, they're a POS libtard and revel in the fact that you have pissed someone off way more than they have pissed you off. I am shocked that this happened in Montana though. What the heck happened to that State? I thought it was red through and through.

mt100gr.

WKR
Montana is still hanging on in that respect. The college towns attract quit e a few entitled know-it-alls, though. Lots of granola crunchers coming here for the "recreation opportunities"....then they tell all their friends that they were out biking and heard some elk bulging, give them coordinates, and ruin lots of good spots....I've derailed...

I would simply asked her " Have you ever eaten a burger?" " "How about a taco, pork chop, steak?" Then, say, "Yep, what they say about anti-hunters is correct, antis are too dumb to have the debate"
or
Lady, let's have this discussion after you get rid of your leather tennis shoes, leather purse you are currently sporting

velvetfvr

WKR
I haven't really run into anyone that has been this way to me. But honestly would try and calmly explain and of they continued to be loud and obnoxious I would probably say piss off and walk away. Some people aren't reasonable to begin with though.