How do you all carry your gun with the pack on your backs?

Hello all.

Just wondering, how do you carry your gun, with a coiffeur pack and frame?
Jusing the gun Bearer? strapping the rifle to you pack?
I like to have my rifle behind my shoulder, so the gun bearer is not for me.

Thanks for looking.

Felix40

WKR
I made a 5" or so loop out of webbing that attaches at the top of my right stay. I can slide my barrel up into it from the bottom by just looking back over my right shoulder. Then using webbing I attached a decent size male buckle to the butt stock of my rifle where a sling would attach. Then a matching female buckle using webbing and a slider to the right side of my hip belt.

Slide the barrel of the rifle in the loop then clip the buckle together and you are good to go. I think of it as almost a backward gun bearer. I like my rifle behind me also.

all of my rifles get a butler creek mountain sling. it's just a basic, thin sling with a grippy material on the inside that i wear right over the pack's shoulder straps. if i'm moving in the dark sometimes i'll just strap it to the compression straps and go.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I use a boonie packer safari sling, I can carry it in front of me (sling over neck with shooting arm through it) or behind my off shoulder for hiking (sling over neck with off arm through it and rifle vertical behind my off shoulder against my pack).

If lots of hiking I'll strap it to my pack.

ctsmith

Lil-Rokslider
Hello all.

Just wondering, how do you carry your gun, with a coiffeur pack and frame?
Jusing the gun Bearer? strapping the rifle to you pack?
I like to have my rifle behind my shoulder, so the gun bearer is not for me.

Thanks for looking.

Are you referring to carrying the rifle while actively hunting or while on the 3 mile hike in plus a steep climb to the glassing point before sun up or the decent and 3 mile hike out at dark?

AdamW

WKR
I made a 5" or so loop out of webbing that attaches at the top of my right stay. I can slide my barrel up into it from the bottom by just looking back over my right shoulder. Then using webbing I attached a decent size male buckle to the butt stock of my rifle where a sling would attach. Then a matching female buckle using webbing and a slider to the right side of my hip belt.

Slide the barrel of the rifle in the loop then clip the buckle together and you are good to go. I think of it as almost a backward gun bearer. I like my rifle behind me also.

That's a pretty cool idea. I loved the idea of the gun bearer but not the reality as much.

rbljack

WKR
I should start by saying we don't carry with rounds in the chamber while hunting. If we see something, I will chamber a round and see if we can get a shot, but nothing goes in the chamber until we are preparing to shoot something, or are set up in a position waiting on game.

based on that, I carry my gun while hunting, stalking around, hiking etc in my hands, or over my shoulder with the sling. To ensure the sling doesn't slip off, I like to actually run the chest strap of my pack through the sling. doing this ensures the sling isn't sliding down off my shoulder every 10 minutes. If its dark out, it can get strapped to the pack somehow. Currently using a Eblerestock dragonfly, and I have used the weapon carrier for that purpose. When I can upgrade to a kifaru, I will also be wanting to try the gun bearer set up. Looks like a good alternative, but haven't used on first hand.

Cranny

Lil-Rokslider
I do not understand why people don't carry with a round in the chamber while hunting. I carry a handgun every day, onein the pipe, when I bird hunt , one in the pipe, and as soon as I hit the mountain with my rifle, one in the pipe. I use a safety but do not rely on it. I follow the cardinal rules of gun safety especially about keeping the muzzle from pointing at anything your not willing to destroy, also keeping my finger off the bang switch until I'm on a target I'm willing to destroy.

Now if it's a day before opener and I'm hiking in then I probably won't chamber, or if I have harvested and packing out then I won't chamber, but active hunting then its in the pipe.

I use a sling and carry on the shoulder or in my hands with a back pack.

OP
N

Thanks Felix40,

When hunting on steep ground I like to have my hands free, so these way they are and at the same time I can get the rifle out without having to revoke my pack.
Sounds like a good way to carry it.
I also do not chamber before I se something, starting the closer stalk.

I picked up a few of these for our group and they seem to work really well.

Access Denied

Edit: not sure why it says access denied, maybe because I'm posting from thailand, but if you go to ebay and search for slingsaver
It's a little plastic hook that goes on the shoulder strap of your pack.