How Big of a Pack for Daypack and Meat Hauling? Any Suggestions?

TaperPin

WKR
The best thing about the pop-up is the low profile ducking through thick brush when it’s folded up. I would use a pop up over my Exo while eastern deer hunting thick public land.

The popup is also great because it’s the realistic solution to how 80% of people use a hunting frame pack for a very reasonable price.
Do people carry meat much higher than the shoulders? Even the marketing photo shows the white game bag only contacting the pop up maybe an inch above the top of the shoulder straps. If the pop up in either photo were completely compressed wouldn’t it still carry ok? I’m not poo pooing the idea if users actually feel a benefit to extending the pop up, I just don’t see the benefit from the marketing pics.

IMG_0005.jpegIMG_0007.jpeg

OP
H
Do people carry meat much higher than the shoulders? Even the marketing photo shows the white game bag only contacting the pop up maybe an inch above the top of the shoulder straps. If the pop up in either photo were completely compressed wouldn’t it still carry ok? I’m not poo pooing the idea if users actually feel a benefit to extending the pop up, I just don’t see the benefit from the marketing pics.

View attachment 771088View attachment 771118
I can see stabilizing the load to be helpful. When I ruck I can get injured pretty easily if the load can move around a bit.

I'll carry around a garbage back and give my backpacking backpack a shot, and keep an eye out for some good deals on these MR bags.

mtnbound

Lil-Rokslider
To be frank I haven't killed a big game animal yet so I don't have experience on meat hauling. But every time I go out I get closer. I've run into herds with spikes that'll be legal next year already.

But these places wouldn't be easy pack-outs. So I'm looking for a daypack and meat hauler on a budget (I've already spent too much on backpacks for hiking/backpacking). Not looking for something elk-worthy, but pig and blacktails I've definitely got my sights on. I have an old external frame but it's not well suited for the task, it gets caught on a lot and clanks and damages the finish on my gun.

Or maybe a large internal frame backpack would be able to handle a quartered out pig or deer? I regularly see used Terraplanes for much cheaper than something like a Pop up. Would packing out a deer suck a lot worse than with an external frame?
Watch the classifieds; you will start seeing packs being sold after the season.

Oh yeah my current old bag doesn't have load lifters. A bit of a PITA, when you load it up you almost have to treat it like an army ruck and lean forward quite a bit.
My first couple packs were Badlands packs and when I started killing elk and hauling meat, loadlifters were non functional. All the weight was on my shoulders. Talk about "embracing the suck"

I bought an Eberlestock f1 frame a few years ago and 4 batwings. Mounted a couple small pouches on the molle for essentials and add batwings as needed for space. Sometimes i dont even use the batwings and just use the straps to hold what I need. I have used it for day, turkey, and coyote hunts and love it. Using the meatshelf as a backrest when sitting and calling saves bringing a chair. If I ever need more space Eberlestock sells bigger bags that zip right onto the frame. I've heard these dont carry weight as well as some pricier backs but have had over 50lbs on it and felt fine.

kcm2

WKR
Go on Ebay and look for a used Lowe Alpine frame pack. You should easily beat $100 shipped.