How big do Coyotes get in SW CO?

Bluumoon

WKR
I was sitting a water source yesterday and had two large canines, light brown/golden color, run through the field, at 150 yards they looked at least as big as my 100lb Pyreneese dog, but I didn't get a good look through binos or scope. They were immediately followed by a small/normal size coyote, I'd guess 35-40 lbs that I watched for a while hoping the bigger two would come back. CPW site describes an upper end size of 50lbs. Coyote is the only thing that makes sense to me, but damn they were big.

Geewhiz

WKR
Pretty sure the big bad woof was introduced into colorado recently

Either way ya shoulda blasted them

Jr4

Lil-Rokslider
Hybrid wolf, I personally saw wolves 4 years ago in central CO, I didn’t believe what I was seeing, but there was no mistaking what I saw, confirmed by the wolf howl 30 minutes later
I have seen enough in Idaho to know

I’d just chalk it up to a big coyote. About 5 yrs ago in the SW Colorado region I found a group of really big coyotes as well. But, there weren’t any wolves in the state at that time so they were just big coyotes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B

Bluumoon

WKR
I wanted the big ones and they were booking it across the opening when I saw them.... Was hoping they'd circle back.

jayhawk

WKR
hmm . . . I think you might be overestimating their weight. It happens to everyone depending on a number of factors. Also, wolves and coyotes don't typically hang out near each other as they're competitors and coyotes are even often prey of wolves.

Geewhiz

WKR
From my experience, when you see a wolf there is no mistaking it for a coyote. Much like a grizz and a color phase black bear. When you see one you know.

OP
B

Bluumoon

WKR
I'm fairly certain they were all coyotes, or maybe the 2 were a coyote dog mix, but they were larger than my German Shepherd, closer to the size of my Pyrenees. Just caught off guard by the size.

Hnthrdr

WKR
I’ve got some Booner mountain song dogs by me, if I can kill one in the next couple weeks of size I’ll post. We have killed 50lb’ers before. A lot of times they will get a good coat going too that will make them look bigger than they are