How bad of an idea is it..

ramont

Lil-Rokslider
Average day time temps around 35 to 40 degrees with lots of wind
Average night time temps around 15 to 20 degrees
Novice hunters
Never hunted in the west before and lives in Florida

Not a very good idea.

Why not just go up there that time of year and “vacation”(hike, ski, snowboard, scout) to see what you are up against first? I’m all about jumping in and trying something new but I think you should pick a warmer time to go so that 1 you aren’t battling the snow/cold temps(without knowing what to expect)and 2 you don’t ruin the experience for yourself or your girlfriend for the rest of your lives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go hunt elk and enjoy yourselves! You may even kill an elk! Good eats for the year! If you are going to go just for a camping trip to see if you can hang, May as well have a weapon in hand ;)

Why not just go up there that time of year and “vacation”(hike, ski, snowboard, scout) to see what you are up against first? I’m all about jumping in and trying something new but I think you should pick a warmer time to go so that 1 you aren’t battling the snow/cold temps(without knowing what to expect)and 2 you don’t ruin the experience for yourself or your girlfriend for the rest of your lives.

I think this is very sage advice. It was hellaciously cold mid October in Colorado this past season for my 1st hunt out west. A colder month and potential for any severe weather would definitely make you second guess.

Hit up Jackson and go skiing and scouting as mentioned above.

I kinda think go and do it. Expect it to be a shit show. Enjoy the shit show.

If you yourself have fewer constraints why not jump into a ID OTC elk hunt, or Colorado 2nd season? Go on your own with slightly enhanced expectations over Wyoming in December.

Decupparo

FNG
My primary concern would be the road conditions, especially once you leave the blacktop. Can be real easy to get yourself into a bad situation, not so easy to get back out.

cgasner1

WKR
My buddy had a bull tag out of the Cody area couple years ago November brought well below sub 0 weather and him on a snow machine as only way to access the unit it’s hard to say on something like this could be 20s dry ground could be -20 with wind and 3’ of snow whole thing seems like a huge gamble to me

JordanH

Lil-Rokslider
Bad idea.......just think.....if it all works out and you kill a cow elk......you have to go clean it in sub freezing temps. It will freeze as you clean and butcher it. Your hands will be soaked in elk juices and blood and freezing. I suppose if you don't mind losing a few digits.....go for it. LOL

Wassid82

WKR
Upside is there won’t be any bears at that time. You’ll want to be ready for a change of plans though with storms moving in and out frequently at that time of year in the Rockies.

Had a friend that did his first Western elk hunt last December in Arizona and had a great time and being Arizona the weather is not near what nw Wyoming is going to be like and probably be a shorter drive for you...I'd definitely be looking into a different area if your set on that time of year. Other than that I say go for it you only live once.