House Fly Traps that work

CREillY

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone have any indoor Kid/Pet friendly house fly traps or solutions that work? Tried the sticky rolls, but they aren't that effective and it's a mess when a toddler grabs one. New to me house, no idea how they are getting in yet.

Thanks!

OP
CREillY

CREillY

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the recommendation, they are quite a ways away. Idk what is attracting them, they drive me crazy though.

rclouse79

WKR
Not only is this effective, but it is fun and allows you to work on your trigger control in the off-season. I had at least 100 flies buzzing around one light that was on in my garage. I had nightmares about the blood bath that ensued.
IMG_0815.png

BBob

WKR
Thanks for the recommendation, they are quite a ways away. Idk what is attracting them, they drive me crazy though.
Those things work but stink to high heaven! Don't let them dry out. If they do dry out and you add water they don't seem to come back and don't work.

For in the house I buy the clear sticky pads from amazon and stick them inside on a corner of a sun lit window or two and that gets most of them in the house. Fly's are always attracted to the windows :)

Last edited:

2531usmc

WKR
Best solution we found is a spray bottle of windex. get within eight or ten inches and give them a squirt. Their wings get wet and they can’t fly. Wipe them up with a paper towel.

OP
CREillY

CREillY

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks! just ordered the window ones, Windex is a great idea as well!

Danomite

Lil-Rokslider
Not only is this effective, but it is fun and allows you to work on your trigger control in the off-season. I had at least 100 flies buzzing around one light that was on in my garage. I had nightmares about the blood bath that ensued.
View attachment 627173
I’ll second this option. In addition to being fun, they are a great way to teach the basics of gun safety to your kid. Another fun and surprisingly effective option is the electric fly swatters. They work well for the little no see ums that congregate around half empty glasses of juice or whatever.

For fruit flys we put out some 1/2 pint mason jars with modified lids. Add 2-3oz of beer to the jar as the attractant. To modify the lid. you just need to poke ~8 small holes in the lids with a finishing nail. Works amazingly

TaperPin

WKR
My wife ordered these because of some advertisement - stupidest thing I’ve ever heard of - what a waste of time and money. It did surprise me how well they work, especially with the tiny fruit flies. Lol

The purple light attracts some flies, but not all.

The only downside is the sticky board is a unique shape and expensive to replace.

Having fly swatters handy is still the best bet.

Attachments

• 3D201B7F-8744-4ED9-9621-16ECED9EA943.jpeg
    3D201B7F-8744-4ED9-9621-16ECED9EA943.jpeg
    236.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 6E4B713B-78B8-4749-B581-2426E6C6D92B.jpeg
    6E4B713B-78B8-4749-B581-2426E6C6D92B.jpeg
    164.6 KB · Views: 12

WCB

WKR
We have issues in our hunting shack in ND. Not to like infestation point but especially in the winter turnt he heat up and here they come. We have always just used the hanging sticky rolls. Just hang them high enough kids cant get them (and not from the center light in the kitchen so someones face gets caught in it). Otherwise check outside around the edges of your roof (under shingles) or any vents or spaces you see. Thats where the ones in our shck stay and we can clean them out pretty good with 1 or 2 sprayings a year.

TaperPin

WKR
in our neighboorhood we have a lot of crap flies, some garbage flies, and a few meat flies.

I have yet to find anything garbage flies will land on to kill them. Sticky traps will have flies land all around them all day long and not catch a single one.

Almost the same with meat flies, but the catch rate with a piece of meat in the middle of a sticky trap works a tiny bit better.

The killer setup for our crap flies is putting a single sticky mouse trap in the five gallon bucket that we use when picking up dog turds. We’ve caught up to 700 flies in one day doing this and it really cuts down on the flys that crawl through the dog door, or fly in behind you as you come in.

Farm and ranch stores often have individual sticky traps for mice that sell for $.29 and are by far the least expensive I’ve come across.

You might try mounting sticky traps in hidden areas, but if you have a cat it will find a way to investigate the smell and get stuck.