Hotel Recommendation in Alamosa, CO

Anybody familiar with Alamosa that can recommend a decent hotel? We will be passing though at the end of August with 2 vehicles loaded down with gear.

We don't need anything super nice. I am more concerned about staying in a safer part of town where theft isn't as much of an issue. An outfitter that I hunted with back in 2020 mentioned there are some areas in Alamosa where crime/theft is pretty common, unfortunately.

Dinner and breakfast recommendations would also be appreciated.

Thank you!

dtrkyman

WKR
I stayed at the Fairfield a couple years ago, newer place, clean and decent lighting for places to park in good view of everything.

I do not remember anything specifically good about dinner anywhere, ate breakfast at a popular highly recommended spot and it was mediocre and the service sucked! Pretty sure it was campus cafe.

May have eaten dinner at Friars fork as well, nothing special.

Hnthrdr

WKR
No recs. My biggest recommendation is don’t leave anything too valuable in your truck, guns, bows, optics, ect. I get it, it’s a pain in the ass moving them, but it’s an even bigger PITA if your trip is ruined since you lost your essential gear

WCB

WKR
I've stayed at the Fairfield and Holiday Inn on the west side of town and also the Best Western Alamosa Inn right by campus. All are what you would expect. No issues so far.

The Best Western is a two level motel type. So if you can get a room on the ground floor your vehicle is right outside your window. That's probably the most desirable.

Nino's Del Sol is alright Mexican food. Campus Cafe is a really small local spot. Ate their a few times as my wife's house during college basically shared the parking lot. Just good cafe breakfast nothing special. Other than that we have ate at various places and nothing stands out.

Kurts86

WKR
I’ve stayed a few nights in Alamosa throughout the years and I can’t remember anything that was above mediocre food or lodging. We stayed at the best western which was pretty dated but we didn’t have issues either. Other than some boutique places most of the San Luis valley is pretty run down or just weird.

I would consider staying at an AirBnB in Crestone or a Hotel in Salida over Alamosa.

Last edited:

3forks

WKR
Not sure which way you’re headed from Alamosa, but if you go through Monte Vista (about 20 minutes West) eat at the Sunflower Cafe.

A Mennonite woman owns and operates the business, and the food is very good and does not come off a Sysco truck. I’m not sure how to describe how much better even simple things like pancakes, breakfast sausage, or a chicken salad sandwich taste from this place, but everything is made from scratch with quality ingredients.

The cafe is popular, and it’s usually packed. If it was someplace like Denver, you’d never get a table.

Also, the cafe has baked goods and some pre-made meals like Sheppard’s Pie that you can buy and take with you.

EdP

WKR
We stayed at the Comfort Inns & Suites back in May and thought it was nice. It's on the west side of town on US285/160. Not cheap though. The Quality Inn on the east side might be a better value.

I stayed a night in the holiday inn express on the west side of town about 3 weeks ago. It was a nice place. Seemed safe. We parked out front close to the main door with a truck full of camping gear. We didn't have any problems.

Traveling tip: Avoid gas station pizza. The food poisoning is what lead me to a night's stay in a hotel instead of camping. So much easier to get out of bed and make it to the toilet to vomit then trying to get the tent door unzipped and spewing all over your camp.

OP
Blackdog317
Talked to a local yesterday. She said stay on the West Side of town (Hampton, Fairfield, Holiday Inn), and avoid the South Side.

Appreciate all the suggestions. Looking forward to a good trip!

jwatts

WKR
We stayed in the Fairfield while scouting last month. Nice place. Bonus- it's close to a Maverik so you can grab a burrito when you gas up on the way out of town.

OP
Blackdog317
Thanks for that info. Definitely gonna change our plans after looking at hotel rates and availability. Really appreciate the heads-up!