Hot weather socks

WVELK

Lil-Rokslider
I only saw one previous post on this issue, so I will give it another go. May get more responses.
I am going to elk hunt in NM the first season September 1-14. Been there chasing those critters many times. It gets hot. Here is what has changed. I am not diabetic and the Darn Tough socks irritate my skin. That should be avoided. So if we exclude Darn Tough socks, which I have 10 billion pairs, what is you recommendation for a hot weather sock. Hot weather is defined as topping out at 81 or 82, but with strenuous hiking.

Don't over think it. It's hunting in September, use whatever sock that makes you comfortable.

BTW, What are you going to do with all those Darn Tough's???

OP
W

WVELK

Lil-Rokslider
Don't over think it. It's hunting in September, use whatever sock that makes you comfortable.

BTW, What are you going to do with all those Darn Tough's???
Thanks. Going to give the Darn Toughs to a friend who is a conservation officer. Their pay scale does not justify $22 a pair socks.

Edge

FNG
FWIW

I’ve worn the thinnest DeFeet wool blend socks in Zimbabwe, Mozambique and Cameroon with temps closing in on 110. Lots and lots of walking while tracking Buffalo. They are my go-to warm to hot weather socks.

I also tried the Kenetrek Sonora in Cameroon this year, pretty solid sock but I felt the DeFeet were more comfortable heat wise than the Kenetrek Sonora.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
When I'm hunting I always wear thin polypropylene liner socks and then lightweight merino wool socks over those no matter how hot it is. My feet stay comfortable. FWIW I tried Darn Tough socks by themselves one time and hated that. Felt like my feet were on fire the whole time, and they were bright red.

COJoe

Lil-Rokslider
I train here in upper 90s - low 100s with a Smart wool silk liner sock with black Ovis mid calf hiking socks over them. I have had no blisters or hot spots with this combo and they don't stink. For hunting, I use the same liner with Darn Tough hunter socks over them. I say I've been impressed with the many miles (150-200 over two years or so) on the Black Ovis socks with no holes yet. I use Crispi Summits and Colorado boots so not sure how they play into it all too. I bought the liner socks at Sportsman's Warehouse for maybe $16.00. Good luck on your hunt.

OP
W

WVELK

Lil-Rokslider
FWIW

I’ve worn the thinnest DeFeet wool blend socks in Zimbabwe, Mozambique and Cameroon with temps closing in on 110. Lots and lots of walking while tracking Buffalo. They are my go-to warm to hot weather socks.

I also tried the Kenetrek Sonora in Cameroon this year, pretty solid sock but I felt the DeFeet were more comfortable heat wise than the Kenetrek Sonora.
I ordered a few pair of the wool blend to give them a try. Thanks for the recommendations.

TheM1DoesMyTalking

Lil-Rokslider
I have been using the Farm to Feet 3/4 length Damascus socks while hiking in temps up into the 90s and have been comfortable.

c00p

FNG
Honestly look at what runners use for hot temperatures. I’d we willing to bet there’s some good options from Nike, UA, etc.

WrightSock Coolmesh ii.

You can buy online or at REI. Double layer socks, guaranteed blister free, comfortable, and quick drying. It's all I wear in the summer for warm or hot temps.

Wrightsock.com

Nine Banger

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Its hot as shite and humid where I live. I wear these:

I do about 2 miles a night in Crispis with 44lbs of granite in a bag on my frame and its 82F with 92% humidity and I'm getting ready to go out.

Edge

FNG
I ordered a few pair of the wool blend to give them a try. Thanks for the recommendations.
I finally found my order, I use the 3 and 5 inch “wooleator” models. They used to make a brown and charcoal Arizona Trail model but haven’t seen them in a few years.

Bcleck90

WKR
REI lightweight merino, quarter height socks. I wear them daily and prefer the quarter height when it’s hot.

Probably pick any lightweight merino and change 2-3x day.

I wear merino 99 % of the time. However Under Armour heat gear military socks are pretty good for an all synthetic. I’ve worn them overseas in the desert. That being said they will smell unlike merino.

Maverick1

WKR
Smartwool merino socks, medium cushion. Prefer merino as it can go many days without getting stinky. Smartwool has held up well over the years - I'm sure there are other brands out there are well.

Wore synthetic socks my first two seasons of elk hunting. That did not go well. In my experience, synthetic socks hold moisture, which leads to blisters, and they stink pretty bad only after a day or two.

OP
W

WVELK

Lil-Rokslider
Thought I would give some feedback. I have tried the following: Defeet 7 inch cushion, Farm to Feet Trail, Black Ovis Shred Light, Carhartt Force Grid Lightweight, Ascend Coolmax, Cabelas Instinct 2.0 and Darn Tough lightweight (wore existing style that I had a few pairs of). There were three that stood out heads and tails above the rest, Defeet, Farm and Feet and Black Ovis. Here is the breakdown. The Defeet and Farm and Feet are very close, with the edge going to Defeet. The 7 inch cushion may not be the coolest in the Defeet lineup, but a lot of their socks for bicycling. The Cushion is cooler than any others I tried and feels very comfortable. However, I am not the least bit unhappy with the Farm and Feet.

I am equally happy to have found the Black Ovis Shred light. They are super comfortable and probably best suited for cooler temps.

I use a mid-length lightweight smart wool sock year-round. Elk hunts Sept/October, Deer hunts Oct-Dec, working in 100 degree weather in July/August. I even wear them to church!

I change boots based on weather for temp control. But a quality smart wool will wick well, wont stink and hold up for many years.

The key is to throw away or donate all your other long socks. That way you NEVER have to match socks coming out of the laundry.