Hot weather hoodie

Therooster240g

FNG
Classified Approved
Im down in Tx and it’s hot through most of the early season. I have an issue, that I find poison ( insert) no matter what I do. So short sleeves are no longer an option. I’m looking for durable light weight breathable long sleeves hoodie options. I tried the search and didn’t find much. I’ve main run Sitka but looking at other options. GOHUNT, kuiu, FL, origin, mountain ops, or whatever. What’s yall go for 80 plus hot weather hoodie or long sleeve shirt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seeknelk

WKR
Simms intruder button up hoodie or pullover has been nice. Comes in drab green/brown.
I have a kuiu gila also but it's basically white in color. It would be great in earth tone or camo I suppose.
Sitka lightweight hoodie has seen some years of use.
I tried a few sunshirts this summer cuz of a bone marrow transplant I received makes me sensitive to sun and too much sun could trigger graft vs host issues.
As much as I love merino, in my research it doesn't offer much sun protection when it's thin enough. It's fragile too.

fmyth

WKR
I live in AZ so I have lots of hot weather clothing and due to the risk of skin cancer I wear long sleeves if I'm going to be outdoors regardless of the temperature. My favorites long sleeve shirts are my OR Echo hoodies and Patagonia Capilene hoodies. Both companies have long sleeve hoodless versions. The OR is much thinner and lighter. PS it's currently 103F with partly sunny skies here. Thank God for the few clouds we have today. Can't take many more 110F days this year.

TheDRAE

FNG
The REI Sahara Sun Shade hoodie is nice. Very thin and stretchy. Also has thumb holes in the sleeves for more coverage from ticks (I live in PA where Lyme disease is endemic).

Rei Sahara Hoodies are nice. You can normally find them on sale throughout the year for around $30. They provide good protection, dont smell too bad even after a few days of tough hiking, and come in a lot of colors. I scout and hike a lot in them, and would recommend sizing up if youre on the fence . When its really hot, the Patagonia Cool daily hoody is good too.

Poser

WKR
Black Diamond AlpenGlow Pro is the best sun hoody I've tried (and have a bunch of them). The mesh armpits makes a significant differance. You have to get the Pro model to get that feature.
I haven't tried Kuiu's Tiburon sun hoody yet, but it looks promising.

OP
T

Therooster240g

FNG
Classified Approved
Thanks guys, I’m going to look into some of these. We’ve been in the 80 this week but shoot back up to high 90s this weekend.

E6ylK

FNG
I really like the Mountain Hardwear Crater Lake Hoody. I'll wear it regularly with the hood up when hiking in the summer and do fine well into the 90s. However, it's dry around here and I couldn't imagine wearing that or any long sleeve in a humid environment. A quick breeze, and it's nearly dry, as opposed to wool shirt's I've worn backpacking, which stayed drenched in sweat for days on end. The crater lake is 6 ozs in size large, and very comfortable with no restrictions.

The OR Echo hoodie is nice too, noticeably lighter, but I don't find it to be quite as comfortable as the crater lake. It's not uncomfortable and is still roomy, but it doesn't stretch as much. The thinness would be a benefit if it's very hot or humid, and it's probably more breathable and absorbs less water than the crater lake. The large weighs about 3.5 ozs.

I've tried the Kuiu Gila short sleeve shirt, and really don't find it comfortable. The large is slightly restrictive, has a weird fit on me (almost like it's slim fit, and I'm not big and a large in EVERYTHING else is roomy, so???) and there's no noticeable stretch. It's probably the most durable of the 3, but it almost never gets worn. I'd imagine the long sleeve / hoodie would be the same, which is why I don't own one.

Tx_300wsm

Lil-Rokslider
Also in Texas, I’ve been running the first light Chama for 6 or 7 years now. It’s been super versatile and wear it anytime I’m hunting from September dove and all through winter as a base layer.

I’ve got a Columbia one from their line of fishing shirts that’s been fine. Also have a couple cheap long sleeve nylon t shirts from Amazon that are good for keeping the sun off your arms- should work the same for poison ivy.

MO-CHSPKE

FNG
Drake waterfowl has a bamboo hoodie that is nice. I wear them when I’m out mowing when it’s hot. SPF 50 as well I believe.

Black Diamond Alpenglow Pro, Sitka Core LW, and Fjallraven Abisko are all pretty good. Sitka and Fjallraven don’t have a UPF rating that I know of but I haven’t gotten burnt wearing them

GoHunt Approach hoody is worth a look. Super soft, dries fairly quick , and it didn’t smell after 4 days of wearing it for me. Can get it at a very affordable price if you wait for a sale.