Hot Tent suggestions needed

Luked

WKR
Wanting to get a Tent setup for next year for a Rifle Elk hunt.
Want to get something that I am able to put a stove in.
Mainly for 1 guy possibly 2. Will be set up at the truck not packed in.

I really like the looks and reviews on the Kodiak Flex bow tents but they don't have stove jacks.
Their Cabin style tents look good but from what it looks like would be much harder for 1 guy to set up and they seem heavy.

Really not looking for a Teepee or Floorless either.

Have seen the Bell type tents from White Duck and they look to be a good setup.
Are there some others that I should check out also?

fmyth

WKR
I heat my Kodiak 10x14 with a Little Buddy heater connected to a 20lb bottle and have never wished that I had a wood stove. Been there, done that, have the cinder holes in most my gear to remind me of many seasons in an outfitter tent with a wood stove. Now if I was going to pack in a few miles I'd have a teepee and a titanium stove but for camping by the truck no thank you.

OP
Luked

Luked

WKR
I heat my Kodiak 10x14 with a Little Buddy heater connected to a 20lb bottle and have never wished that I had a wood stove. Been there, done that, have the cinder holes in most my gear to remind me of many seasons in an outfitter tent with a wood stove. Now if I was going to pack in a few miles I'd have a teepee and a titanium stove but for camping by the truck no thank you.
Had thought of that option also.
Just never used one of the Little Buddy type heaters. I know they are ventless, but never tried it before.
I used to have a Cabelas Alkanak. But dont guess they make them any more.

fmyth

WKR
Had thought of that option also.
Just never used one of the Little Buddy type heaters. I know they are ventless, but never tried it before.
I used to have a Cabelas Alkanak. But dont guess they make them any more.
I have 4 elk hunts and 1 deer hunt in Northern AZ, NM, and WY and will spend nearly all of Oct, Nov and a week in December in my Kodiak w my Little Buddy heater again this year. I camp between 7,500 and 10,000 feet and usually get 5-7 nights on a 20lb bottle. I would not use a Buddy Heater over night in a synthetic tent as the water vapor created by burning propane passes easily through the canvas but not synthetic material.

Snowtrekker makes many models of canvas hot tents. They're light, easy to pitch solo and are pretty bomber. Good folks to deal with out of Wisconsin.

eightyeight mag

Lil-Rokslider
Cinder holes in your gear???
What are you burning pine with pitch seeping out of it, leaving stove door wide open and storing your gear in front of it?
That’s crazy

sndmn11

WKR

fmyth

WKR
Cinder holes in your gear???
What are you burning pine with pitch seeping out of it, leaving stove door wide open and storing your gear in front of it?
That’s crazy
Yes. Burning pine and aspen the only wood available in the National forest where I hunt. Yes cinders pop out while tending the fire. Yes the gear/boots/clothing/packs are often in the tent drying out. The only thing crazy is your response to my post.

Last edited:

Lil-Rokslider
The brand, Elk Mountain is worse. From their description the material spec is "better material"... The Alibaba description is more thoughtful.
If you are stuck on a bell tent get a sunforger material from Stout. https://stouttent.com/shop/stout-bell-tent-5000-pro-overland-sunforger/
I have talked to a couple people that own the Elk Mountain Yukon tent and they have nothing but good things to say about them. White Duck on the other hand was a different story. I like the ease of setup for the bell tent plus the room of the 16’ diameter. I would like room for 4-people. The only reason I don’t go with a wall tent is the frames are heavy/bulky. The tent will be packed in on some occasions.

Old3Toe

FNG
Have used a Kodiak 10x14 for 10 years. Love it. One guy (me) can set it up in 15 minutes or so easy--you should have no worries there. A stove jack is something I've contemplated, and am still contemplating. I even have the jack just never have done it. I too have used a big buddy several times and that's partly why. The other part is space. Even in the big 10x14, the slopey walls diminish the space which the footprint suggests you have.